Supporters Synergy

Discussion in 'Salt Lake Supporters Clubs' started by REALover, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Snarf

Snarf Member

Oct 9, 2003
    Eagle Mountain, UT
    That's all well and good, but we don't have more people. The supporters are spread to the corners the stadium, divided into tiny pockets. If we could all find a way to get together, maybe we could make something cool like that. Because, when you add Loyalists, RCB, Section 26, Barra Real, Union Real, etc. then I know we have the people to completely pack a section.

This is my suggestion, and Lurpy feel free to tear me a new one for talking out of my @$$ like a know-nothing jerk because I haven't been sitting in the trenches for a while, but I think it would be wise if the FO made two sections for supporters on either end of the stadium. One for those that want cursing in their chants and one for those that don't. Then force supporters of either stripe to sit in those sections, all grouped together. I suppose that's not really possible, I mean, how do you force someone to sit in a certain place? They buy tickets where they want, and the FO isn't going to not sell them a ticket. So there's that. And maybe you'd need a third section for those that want Latin style support. I don't know. In the end, it might make us all as spread out as before.

But the closer we all congregate, the better our support will get. Supporters should all move to one section of the end zone, and only spread out to the neighboring section when that first one is filled. I think it's worked elsewhere. Anyway, sorry to bother you with that schlock. Carry on citizens.

2. lurpythepirate

Sep 14, 2009
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the bigger division is between the Latin-style groups and the Euro-style groups, more than swearing vs. non-swearing. The RCB and the Loyalists can get together on lots of the same chants. They don't sing some of ours, but given that we're all singing/chanting groups with minimal drums, we can work out things to do together--as we have in the past. I think with the chant leaders in front (I'd like to see someone from the Loyalists down there as well, it's easier to communicate between chant leaders than it is for one person to try and go back and forth across the whole south goal, but that's not a difficult thing to have happen) we can overcome what few remaining barriers there are. Plus, Section 26 is always an option for those who don't want to be anywhere near regular use of the F-bomb.

I do think that either LBR/Union or the Euro-type groups (Loyalists included) should move to a different section. I don't care too much which set it is, although I think that it would be funny to put Barra next to the away supporters' section and completely drown out visiting fans. Plus having them in the upper deck would allow the drums to create atmosphere without conflicting with songs and chants. But either way I think that's how things will probably have to be resolved eventually, unless all of LBR and the Union suddenly decide to work with us and each other (two completely different drumbeats going at the same time doesn't work, guys). The FO's been reluctant to consider that kind of move to this point, and I understand why, but the divisions in support style and the unwillingness of some to work together means that movement of one or another set of supporters is probably the only way to move forward.

On the plus side I think that kind of move would actually help all of us. LBR and the Union could attract people who want the Latin-type support without the assholes singing all game in front of them, and the RCB/Loyalists/Salt City United could attract people who want to stand and sing without constantly trying to chant over two sets of drums. It'll cause a little emptiness in the South End at first, sure, but I think in the long run it would lead to expansion and improvement of all the groups.

As for the card idea, it's not bad, but I think that two things block it a bit--one, like Snarf said, there's some empty spots; more importantly, even in the spots that are consistently full (sections 9 and 10), we have sort of a general admission policy, which would make a card thing harder to do. Still possible, but we'd have to set it up beforehand and everyone would need to remember to check under their seats or wherever at the right time.

3. Robonza

Robonza New Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know what would be the easiest solution to all of this? If all the supporters sections would just set apart their bull **** and work together.

Apart from that, I like the idea of moving LBR near the away section. However, I am sure that they wouldn't like that idea and nor would the FO.

What we have here is essentially three different types of supporters (euro-cursing, family, and Latin-American) and only two places to put them, section 26 and the South goal. Perhaps, with the cheap South goal season tickets next year, we will be able to fill the area with supporters and from there we can work out some sort of compromise.

Maybe the FO could give LBR/Union better seats just to move them from the South end, if LBR/Union would be cool with that.

It would never happen.

4. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find it interesting that the solution from many is to move LBR/Union Real to the upper deck... They have larger numbers and thus should get priority as to where they go, in my opinion. If they want to go up there, then cool, by all means let them. But if they want to stay in the south end, fill it with more people, and you guys trully want to seperate... then shouldnt the "eruo-style" people be the ones that move to the upper deck?

5. lurpythepirate

Sep 14, 2009
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be fine with that too. The reasons I think LBR should go to the upper deck are pragmatic, not personal. They could drown out the opposing supporters with the drums. The roof would keep in the drum noise so it could be heard, but the upper deck is high enough that it wouldn't drown out anything in the lower sections. Plus, LBR is less likely to offend people in the other sections, and thus we can avoid as many conflicts regarding profanity and whatnot. But I wouldn't mind moving to the upper deck either (as long as tickets remained the same price and we had the same level of autonomy as far as things like chants and our semi-official GA policy).

The main thing is putting the groups in different places so we can have multiple styles of support without all pissing each other off. Whether that's us in the top deck, LBR/UR in the top deck, or something else entirely, can be decided by the groups and the FO together.

6. Kale801

Kale801 Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, we sat in section 22 for the TFC game on Wednesday. We could kind of hear some of the chanting. But.... The drums were nothing but noise. Just some insight from a non affiliated person to any SG. It was pretty awful. From where we sat - all we heard was mismatched drumming that created no atmosphere what so ever. I know its been said a million times before - but something has got to be done about that. Yikes!

On the plus side - we were able to hear some of section 26's chants and joined in when we could. There were about 3 other people in our section that joined us..but you know, we'll take what we can get!

7. Kale801

Kale801 Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    anybody seen these yet?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IWxBe4LkOA"]YouTube - XanGo: I am Real Salt Lake (Drummers)[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uiIJPRwNt8"]YouTube - XanGo: I am Real Salt Lake (Fans)[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmd1CdVnCDE"]YouTube - XanGo: I am Real Salt Lake (Flags)[/ame]

8. ShaggyReAL

ShaggyReAL Awesome is my middle name

Dec 9, 2009
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a fan of the ads. They remind me of BOY BANDS. The ads don't feel real but they feel forced and way to pretty.

Any adds with white and african american fans in them? :p

9. Snarf

Snarf Member

Oct 9, 2003
    Eagle Mountain, UT
    Only in soccer in America can you complain because whites are under-represented. Or can you complain about that?

10. Snarf

Snarf Member

Oct 9, 2003
    Eagle Mountain, UT
    One of the things needed most for a good SG seems to be numbers. I have heard that the best place to get them is from college kids. We've got a shload of colleges around here, has any group tried recruiting from college kids? And what did you do? Put up flyers? Pass out handbills? Something else?

11. mrstucki

mrstucki Member

Aug 23, 2004
    10 min. from stadium
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    The banner is in the FO somewhere. It is pointless until the stage comes down. We will talk to Brent to make sure it makes an appearance for the playoffs if not sooner.

12. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually like them... they dont seem overly "forced" to me. Its real game footage, right? so its at least somewhat true emotion

13. lurpythepirate

Sep 14, 2009
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm posting this just so keepthesl has to look at the word "Synergy" again.

14. Robonza

Robonza New Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not too much a fan of these ads. But I guess it caters to the right demographic, kinda. You would think that if this were an ad targeted at Spanish speakers that the ad would be in Spanish or something.
    The ad is almost like an army recruitment ad, I'm not bitching, good for BR.
    Wouldn't it be nice to see a Xango add featuring either the RCB or Salt Lake United? You won't since we are usually too busy flying the flag (by that I mean my middle finger). The ad talks about the fans being the cavalry, fully that they don't show any cavaliers? Just remember that when Columbus came here, which groups got into Hesmer's head.

15. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its amazing to me the amount of kids at Westminster College that wear some form of soccer gear (if its a random US jersey, another country, some big club, etc) yet hardly anybody wears RSL stuff. If the RCB were to go there and pass out flyers (I'm sure you would have to talk to the office people, but it shouldnt be an issue really) I'm sure they would get more people out.

Its also interesting to hear the amount of them that talk about RSL games during the week after having gone to one... not in the south end

16. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    apparently thats not all they "got into" if you know what i mean...

17. RSL Donk

RSL Donk BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 24, 2006
    Utah
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Giving out free beer and not checking IDs worked well when RSL was playing at RES. Actually, a lot of our number, if not a majority are college people. The only big problem with this idea is that most of the colleges in Utah are heavily Mormon and they don't like people drinking and using bad language.

18. Robonza

Robonza New Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No offense to real soccer fans at Westminster, but do we really want Westminster kids at the soccer games? I hate to imagine what an Ed Hardy inspired supporters t-shirt would look like.

19. RSL Donk

RSL Donk BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 24, 2006
    Utah
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I'm sure we would get a couple Che Guevara shirts. That wouldn't aall be bad, then I could wear my "Che killed people you trendy asshole" shirt.

20. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its interesting reading here how RSL fans are trying to unite, while in Philly, the fans are starting to decide, after one season, that they are really diverse and would probably be better served by decentralizing the supporters section.

Like sands in the hour glass...

21. DadOf6

DadOf6 Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought that the South end contributed more to the overall environment last night than any other match this year.

I could actually tell that there were lots of people cheering in unison.

Part of it was the stage-seat swap (more people), but I think the biggest factor was that the drums were toned down. For me, the human voice is the most effective sound, noisemakers can add to it but when they overpower the voices they subtract from the overall package by becoming mere noise.

I LOVE the trumpet and I love the drums when they add to but don't overpower.

Well done, SGs!

I hope this is a sign of things to come.

22. Kale801

Kale801 Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I completely forgot about that until I read this. I was so involved in the game that my friend had to point it out to me. It did make a difference.

23. Snarf

Snarf Member

Oct 9, 2003
    Eagle Mountain, UT
    Yeah, I was able to much more clearly make out the word asshole over and over and over and over and over. That was something special.

24. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was in the West side for the last match, I didn't hear any more cursing than usual. But I did hear a lot more "R-S-L" type cheers in unison than I have heard before. Especially when I was in the South end (maybe I was the problem...).

25. mr. slick

mr. slick Member

Oct 6, 2006
    Section 26
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh I imagine the problem was you prime! :D

I loved the atmosphere the other night, and the toned down drum noise was great. Especially because that meant more voice noise. LOVED IT.