Supporter's Summit, Bash, Gala, Geek Convention, MLS Cup Info

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by galaxycrazy, Oct 28, 2003.

1. galaxycrazy

galaxycrazy New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Supporter's Summit, Bash, Gala, MLS Cup Info

Dear MLS and A-League Supporters,

Hope this letter finds you well and enjoying the end of the MLS regular season. With all eyes on this weekend's final regular season games, it is only fitting we begin to look ahead towards the pinnacle of our season…MLS Cup 2003. Contained within you will find all pertinent information relating to MLS Cup, Supporters Summit and annual Supporters Bash.

Supporters Shield…Congratulations to the Chicago Fire for wining the 2003 MLS Supporters Shield! After polling a sampling of representatives from the respective supporter groups, it has been decided to award the Supporters Shield during the first Fire home playoff game on November 9 (vs. at the Gala Awards Ceremony). Not only will the Chicago Fire’s accomplishments be symbolically recognized in front of their fans, there may prove to be an opportunity to create local print and/or TV media exposure.

MLS Supporters Summit...Open to all MLS fans, this annual event is hosted by the local Supporter group prior to MLS Cup. Supporter group leaders, members and the soccer community alike are encouraged to attend and participate. By sharing like experiences, highlighting unresolved issues and maintaining an open line of communication, the Supporters Summit provides the ideal forum for loyal MLS fans to make a significant contribution in the development of Major League Soccer.

What: MLS Supporters Summit
    When: Saturday, November 22, 2003 (9:00 AM to 3:15 PM)
    Where: Hilton Carson City Plaza (Chardonnay/Cabernet Room)
    Two City Plaza
    Carson, CA 90745
    Tel. (310) 830-9200

Agenda: 9:00 – 10:15 AM…MLS Supporters and A-League Leaders' Meeting
    10:15 – 10-30 AM…Break
    10:30 – Noon…US Soccer Supporters
    Noon – 12:30 PM…Lunch Break
    12:30 – 2:00 PM…US Soccer Supporters (Shield Presentation)
    2:00 – 3:00 PM…MLS Q and A session (MLS officials, media, etc.)
    3:00 – 3:15 PM…Wrap-up

MLS Gala Awards…This year the MLS Gala Awards Ceremony is being held at the Kodak Center in Hollywood. Not only are you invited, you are encouraged to attend the “Black Tie Optional” event. Gala tickets will be included in the event pack you receive when you register for the Supporters Summit. Plan your schedules accordingly…the MLS Gala Awards is an event you do not want to miss! The show begins at 6:30 PM and will last approximately 90 minutes. Doors open at 6:00 PM

Supporters Bash…Fans are encouraged to go directly from the MLS Gala Awards Ceremony to Hollywood Billiards Sports Bar & Grill for the Supporters Bash. Details are as follows…

What: Supporters Bash
    When: Saturday – November 22, 2003 (9:00 PM - ??)
    Where: Hollywood Billiards Sports Bar & Grill
    5750 Hollywood Blvd.
    Los Angeles, CA 90028
    Tel: (323) 465-0115
    www.hollywoodbilliards.com

MLS Cup Tickets…Similar to years past, three (3) MLS Cup ticket blocks have been set aside to accommodate the following groups:

Section 103 ($23) – LA Galaxy supporters and those fans not affiliated with participating MLS Cup teams.

Section 127 ($35) – fans supporting Western Conference MLS Cup participant.

Section 137 ($35) – fans supporting Eastern Conference MLS Cup participant.

Fans choosing to sit in one of the above sections must purchase their tickets no later than Wednesday, November 19. After the 19th, tickets in these sections will be made available to the general public. Tickets purchased by MLS team supporters in Sections 127 and 137 will be given a special group discount of $35/ticket. Tickets in Section 103 are set at $23. Simply contact James Mullins, Los Angeles Galaxy Manager of Fan Development, at 310-630-2228 or jmullins@lagalaxy.com.

MLS Cup 2003 guarantees to be a memorable event for all! If you have not already done so, wipe the weekend clean and begin to secure necessary travel arrangements. If you have additional questions please do not hesitate to contact Ozzy Gomez at SoccerOzzy@aol.com or visit www.Galaxians.com for more information.

We look forward to seeing everyone in November at MLS Cup 2003!

All the best,

Ozzy Gomez
    Galaxians

Sam Pierron
    Supporters Shield Coordinator
    David Wright
    Major League Soccer

2. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Will any members of the ESC be making the trip out to the events that weekend?

I got a list I'd like you to give to Mr. Garber :)

3. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    THE biggest waste of time in all of the MLS season.

4. Soccerski

Soccerski Member

Dec 2, 2000
    Georgetown, CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do you say that?

I was considering attending

5. eric d

eric d Member

Sep 9, 1998
  6. UncleLTrain

UncleLTrain New Member

May 19, 2002
    Moscow, Russia
    Supporter's Summit, Bash, Gala, MLS Cup Info

Now that is scary.

7. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Even scarier if it's Eric's girlfriend ;-)

The prevailing opinion it would seem, at least amongst a sampling of Metro supporters is that the event is a soccer "geek-fest," when th fact of the matter is, it provides an excellent opportunity for supporters to discuss key issues with club and league officials.

Last year supporters had a chance to sit down and talk with Don Garber, Ivan Gazidas, Chicago G.M Peter Wilt, and others.

Several good things have come out of the event over the years, including discussions that have led to greater accomodation of those interests specific to supporters groups like the ESC.

However, if memory serves me correctly, Metro was the only club not to participate in last year's summit, perhaps that of even the year before.

It's certainly your choice, but you're missing out on an opportunity to discuss things such as stadium security, ticketing policies, fan-club relations, etc.

The Magpie

8. Beowulf

Beowulf New Member

Dec 2, 1998
    And the ban of plastic bottles at stadiums...

9. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    I've been to a few of these, and Eric D.'s not far off the mark.

What in theory is a great idea, ends up being a bunch of people from each club sitting around complaining that nobody takes them seriously.

Granted, I haven't been in a few years since they got progressivly worse, but from what I saw, nothing ever really got accomplished, and reps from the ESC were almost always met with contempt from many of the goofballs from the rest of the league. I mean really childish, name-calling and face-making stuff.

Every group had their own problems, and nobody really seemed to want to work together to address them. ESC guys offered to help some other clubs accomplish some of the inroads we made with Metro front-office, and other than snide "no thanks" replies, no other interaction happened.

Three events that still amaze me and make me realize that The Summit is not about unity or supporters club issues from past meetings still bother me...
    1) At a Summit held in New England, the Midnight Riders (who as far as I can tell are really good guys, and not terribly far off from ESC's style and ideals) put on a decent schedule of events and even organized and provided subsidized transportation for the clubs to and from the hotel where the Summit was held. The Screaming Jackoffs from DC, apparently booked their own transportation, bypassing The Riders system and leaving them holding the bag on a prepaid bus. Nice sense of community amongst supporters, huh?

2)At one held in DC (at least I think it was DC), the meeting was so uninteresting and had so little to do with accomplishing anything for the supporters clubs, the meeting became a Q&A with Esse Baharmast about friggin' game rules! I mean really dumb questions, proving not only were these people not interested in supporters clubs issues, but they didn't quite understand the game they were "supporting". What a waste of time.

3)When I accompanied a couple ESC guys to one of these alleged "ball's" in DC, we were met with the following greeting by an SE "lady" at the entrance/ticket table:

"MetroStars....ewwww".

Nice.

I certainly don't expect a red carpet, but jeez, a charity event where I was actually in the motion of pulling money out of my wallet?

Bunch this with the empty promises of "support" from various MLS officials who are never heard from again, and you've got yourself a giant variation of the line waiting outside the Ziegfeld for the next Star Wars film. Nanoo-Nanoo.

PS...NYR Metros, If you go, i'll give you $20 toward lunch that day. You'd fit in with those bunch of posers so well that you may never come back. Seriously, they are just like you, lot's of big talk, little action, plenty of whining about important stuff like "why don't the replicas come out earlier?".

10. Cleveland Steamer

Cleveland Steamer New Member

Jan 10, 2001
    LA is always fun for the Supporter's Summit. You get the pleasure of listening to that guy Michael from the LA supporters club spending 99% of the meeting telling you about all of his accomplishments in life and how he is going to run your supporters club. A real bore fest.

Nano nano.

11. eric d

eric d Member

Sep 9, 1998

If the guy Michael's disertation is anything like a Magpie post, make sure you bring plenty of Vivarin.

12. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. ElMetrofan

ElMetrofan New Member

Jan 20, 1999
    SHAPE, Belgium
    Re: Supporter's Summit, Bash, Gala, MLS Cup Info

Man if the metros make the finals I be glad to visit California this year.

14. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    Besides what Footix stated above. There really is no use for this "summit" If you want to change things in your stadium, then why the hell does Garber really need to hear about it? He can't do anything. What goes on in the stadium is a 2 way relationship between the fans and the front office. Theres no need for me to worry about(or care) about everyone else's problem, nor do I care if they care about us.

The thing with the Fire supporters has nothing to do with the Summit and everything to do with Wilt knowing what it means to have a soccer atmosophere and working with his fans one on one.

And lastly there is the personal choice of not hanging with people 2x my age whose topic of conversation is the latest Lord of the Rings movie.

15. Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta Member

Oct 16, 2001
    Long Island
    Holding a Supporters' Summit in the "Chardonnay/Cabernet Room" just doesn't sound right.

16. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is any of this or the stadium near all those terrible fires?

17. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    I didn't mean to disuede anyone from attending...but based on my experiences, it ain't exactly as advertised.

18. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    By Footix's own admission he hasn't been to a Summit in the past few years, and I'll admit there have been some events that haven't been as well run nor as productive as others.

In terms of the 2002 event there might have been one or two Metrofans in attendance, but by their own admission they weren't familair with the ESC nor part of any supporters group. Hell, even the likes of Wilt, Garber and Gazidas were wondering as to the lack of Metro representation, this when every other MLS club featured some supporters group representative in attendance.

Seems like the prevailing lack of interest amongst Metrofans stem from a conception that nothing every gets accomplished, and that it's effectively a soccer geek-fest: the demographic of those attending/participating not being representative of the Metrofan-base, or more specifically, that of the ESC and/or other Metro supporters groups.

You have a right to your opinion, but with respect to the Supporters Summit this represents a divisive attitude that doesn't reflect well on your club or your supporters.

Granted, many of those issues of concern to Metrofans are club/stadium specific, so the logical course of action would be to work with the front office to influence change. However, in the absence of such communication, or when things aren't working out in that respect, then why not go to the league office to express concerns, ask for advice?

But then, if the Metrofans don't feel that they need to go hat-in-hand to the front office with their concerns, or to engage in discussion as improving fan-league relations in general... then by all means, don't participate.

But this comes at the cost of a stigma that Metrofans don't care about anyone else or anything larger than themselves, that they don't care to have a voice in league decisons or influnce that could help/hurt their matchday experience, and that the remaining supporters groups within MLS as a whole or separately can more or less *#*#*#*#*#-off.

Once again, it's your choice, but if you're not part of the process, don't expect to receive any benefits that may come of it whether they be direct or otherwise.

The Magpie

19. eric d

eric d Member

Sep 9, 1998
    Please feel free to list the benefits that "Metrofans" have missed out on by not attending. Maybe this will influence my decision.

20. Cleveland Steamer

Cleveland Steamer New Member

Jan 10, 2001
    Surely you are not forgetting that MLS supporters are now invited to the black tie gala that takes place at an inflated price the night before the final?

21. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if we have no representation we will never know, now would we ?

It would be nice if the Metros got representation for nothing else just to tell us how boring it all was. But can't hold it against anyone for not going its not like the MFO would be paying for the expenses.

22. eric d

eric d Member

Sep 9, 1998
    I did and for that I am truly sorry.

I guess Garber was looking for the ESC to ask some questions not pertaining to his interpretation of the offside rule.

Seriously Maggie, what groundbreaking, momentous decisions have ever been reached at the Supporter's Summitt?

To a lot of people it is just another reason that most supporter clubs in MLS don't get it.

It's about the SOCCER stupid.

23. eric d

eric d Member

Sep 9, 1998

So why don't you go and gives a write up on it when you get back.

This isn't a secret society meeting. If something actually came out of these summits, people would know. Although the people that are front and center at these things would prefer it to be kept a secret.

The worst thing that could happen to the majority of supporter groups in this country (I am looking at you Screaming Beagles) is for Soccer ot go mainstream. Those people would have to find a new niche sport to support- curling anyone?

24. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    I certainly don't speak on behalf of ESC, but what benefits have we missed out on by not attending the last couple?

My attitude about the Summit honestly doesn't come from a "we're better than everyone else" angle, or even a "we don't need anyone else" point of view, but rather a "what a waste of a nice afternoon" opinion.

As for MLS suits wondering why no ESC participation, maybe I could refresh their memory as to ESC's last interaction with MLS' Fan Liason, or whatever that position was/is called...He asked us to place him on one of our teams on our last charity soccer match, did not show up, and skipped out on paying his entrance fee! As far as I know, MLS has NEVER reached out to ESC for our good...conversely we've provided people for a couple MLS events as "designated fans in replicas" without so much as a thank you.

Seriously, Magpie, I'm not wise-assing you here...I can't fathom a damn thing that could be accomplished at a Summit for us that couldn't really be done with a phone call instead. If there's some sort of agenda that list some specifics that may apply to us, maybe we could guide someone who's going out there to stop in. But to kill a morning to hear somebody out west bitch about why he can't bring a horn into the stadium is just silly.

That reminds me of the year some dude with a ponytail from Columbus spent a good amount of time trying to convince the crowd that perhaps beer should be banned from MLS stadia, because of a bottle throwing incident. Ay yi yi.

Again, I'm speaking on my own behalf, not ESC's.

25. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    "Although the people that are front and center at these things would prefer it to be kept a secret."

You know, I see a lot of uninformed assumptions being made here but precious little else.

If you don't show up, if you don't participate then how do you know. Reports on each summit have been distributed to a representative of each MLS and other U.S. supporters groups via web LISTSERV, why not go ask the head or representative of the ESC for a copy?

Then again, why do you deserve a copy of you refuse to participate?

The Magpie