Supporter's Shield!!

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by dlm_Fire, Oct 19, 2003.

1. dlm_Fire

dlm_Fire Member

Aug 16, 2002
    Chicago
    Fire 4 - Colorado 3
    San Jose 0 - LA Galaxy 3

Fire take the Supporter's shield for the first time and are well on the way for the first triple in MLS!

Damn what a year we are having!

2. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    [​IMG]

You're welcome Chicago.

3. irishFS1921

irishFS1921 New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    WB05 Compound
  4. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Who's the best?

Two trophies in 4 days, eh? Not bad 't'all. :)

I'll second that: TREBLE!

5. jdm2662

jdm2662 New Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Hillside, IL
    Cool, now win the league championship. This means nothing to me unless they finish the job.

6. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulations on winning the Supporters Shield. :(

7. redzin

redzin New Member

Jan 6, 2000
    Way to go Chicago! Quite an accomplishment for a team that was supposed to be at the bottom this year.

I used to think a lot of our magic came from Bradley. Turns out our magic comes from just being the Fire!

8. Fuhrer

Fuhrer New Member

May 25, 2003
    Elmwood Park, IL
    You gotta give a lot of credit to Dave and Peter.

9. GoFireGo

GoFireGo New Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Chicago
    Re: Who's the best?

3 trophies if you count whatever it was that they were passing around in Section 8 tonight. :)

QUADRUPLE!!!

10. Es Brennt

Es Brennt Member+

Feb 25, 2003
    Shermer, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    WHAT A YEAR- WHAT A TEAM!
    Who would've thunk?!

So happy I could burst , this sooo makes up for the past few weeks of being a stressed out geeked Cubs fan!

SOMBODY'S to bring the hardware home to Chicago!
    Glad it was the the team I love above all others!

Treble, fo sure.

No to mention the dawning of a new era of Chicago winning dynasty!

Go Fire!!

11. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I LOVE IT!

12. Karl Lagodzki

Karl Lagodzki Member

Jan 26, 2000
    Bloomington, IN
    I second that. Peter Wilt seems to be the common thread here. Peter, shall we call you Gandalf?

13. jdm2662

jdm2662 New Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Hillside, IL
    Oh yes, this season has been great. Need to finish it up with the MLS Cup Championship. The regular season will be a waste if the job is not complete. I just don't get excited about regular season accomplishments as much.

14. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I hope so too, but I'm glad MLS is recognizing the Shield, because we've been the best over 30 games (not 4), and that deserves some recognition. The way this team fought for the win last night, I think we've got something special.

15. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Congrats to the Fire . I know neither the USOC nor the Shield is as prestigious as winning MLS Cup but winning a trophy is ALWAYS special and winning two at the same time validates the other in the sense that it underscores how much class your side has.

Watching the Fire from afar, I really think Sarachan deserves a lot of credit. He seems to have the right touch with these players in terms of being positive and firm and he seems perpetually upbeat and I think the team responds to that and respects him greatly.

It's hard to see how he doesn't win MLS Coach of the Year.

Finally, a question: You've won two trophies, the clubs first in three years. But if, somehow, you don't win MLS Cup, will this be considered a good or bad year?

For the record, I think the Fire are the favorites for MLS Cup heading into the playoffs but we all know being the favorite doesn't always matter.

16. Don_Crafts

Don_Crafts New Member

Oct 31, 2000
    20 House, Oswego
    The Pontiac in hand!

Someone explain to me how we won the Pontiac? Both Chicago and San Jose have one more match to play. If we lose and San Jose win next week we'll be even on points, 53-53.

Team GP W L T Pts GFGA +/-
    San Jose 29 14 7 8 50 44 34 10
    Chicago 29 15 6 8 53 51 37 14

What's the tie break? Goal Difference?

17. Bethany

Bethany New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    Re: The Pontiac in hand!

They take a look at who won the series between the two teams.

We won one and tied two, so we get it. There's a link somwhere on this board explaining it more.

18. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  19. CFnwside

CFnwside Member+

Jan 25, 2001
    Humboldt Park

our record against them this season. if that were to be equal, than i believe it's goal differential.

20. WJMarx

WJMarx BigSoccer Supporter

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Supporters Shield is the TOP!

Compared to EPL, winning the league is everything.

Winning MLS Cup compares to Worthington Cup at best or perhaps pre-season Charity Shield. USOC Cup = FA Cup.

On this scale, MLS Cup is the least prestigious of the awards representing the fewest teams and the shortest schedule, unencumbered by other matches.

21. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

From MLSnet:

TEAM-STANDINGS TIE-BREAKING PROCEDURES
    The team awarded the highest position in the MLS standings will be the team with the greatest number of points as determined by the point system. Ties will be broken according to the following system (NOTE: If two clubs remain tied after first club advances during any step, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of the two-club format):

1) The highest position shall be awarded to the team with the better win/loss record in current regular season games against all other teams equal in points. (head-to-head competition)

2) If the teams are still equal in the standings, the highest position shall be awarded to the team with the greater goal difference against all other teams during the regular season. (goal differential)

3) If the teams are still equal in the standings, the highest position shall be awarded to the team scoring the greatest number of total goals against all other teams during the regular season. (total goals)

4) If the teams are still equal in the standings, the procedures described in this section shall be applied only to games played on the road by each team against all other teams during the regular season. (road 1-3)

5) If the teams are still equal in the standings, the procedures described in this section shall be applied only to games played at home by each team against all other teams during the regular season. (home 1-3)

6) If the teams are still equal in the standings, the highest position shall be awarded to the team with the fewest team disciplinary points during the regular season.

6) If the teams are still equal in the standings, the highest position in the standings shall be determined by the toss of a coin.

And even if the universe were to somehow revert so that the Fire and SJ were tied in head to head, since we were tied before last night with SJ at 13 goal differential and are now 4 goals ahead, we're the big winners on this one as well unless SJ gets 5 in the net next week and we don't get any.

22. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    With the Open Cup win I have to say that this has been a fantastic year. The Supporter's Shield now takes it up a notch. MLS Cup would put the spring in my step like no other, but even if we get there (Conference Championship is a nice one to win too...) and even if we lose, this has been a banner year for myself and the Fire.

That said, gimmie that thing! I think there is a good chance to take it all.

23. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, as it is, we're the only team in MLS history to win the US Open Cup and the SS in the same year. This speaks volumes to the team's depth and determination. The fact that they could consistently outperform the rest of the league over a 30 game season AND deal successfully with the pressure of a single elimination tournament is astounding. All of this, in what was supposed to be a rebuilding year. I would say that yes, this has been very good year. :)

24. BillQ

BillQ New Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago, IL
    Short term it would be a big dissapointment but in the long term I would appreciate all the achievments that this team enjoyed despite all the gloom and doom the so called experts were predicting about this club. Right now, though, the MLS Cup would be the topper.

25. jdm2662

jdm2662 New Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Hillside, IL
    Got to have the MLS Cup. It's been a great year no doubt. However, it won't be complete without the MLS Cup. Ask the Atlanta Braves what's it like just to do well in the regular season.