Supporters Shield should = MLS cup home field advantage

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by living_ded_boy, Oct 27, 2003.

1. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca
    I watched the Quakes and the Fire both basically waste games due to the fact that they were un-important to the coaches.....and my suggestion wouldn't eliminate meaningless games completely but it would eliminate a few and it would put a "home team" in every MLS Cup. I know logistics and scheduling is an issue but that would make SSS's all the more important. The only interesting soccer in the last two weeks was Columbus and DC. Quite honestly, i've been bored.

2. Gooner

Gooner New Member

Dec 23, 2000
    Soccer City
    How exactly would this put a home team in every MLS Cup? Is the idea that once a team wins the shield it's opposition is supposed to throw the playoff games against it?

3. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    yes, i was thinking about this minor issue too. would the regular season champ receive byes through the playoffs until the championship match?

4. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

Obviously it would mean if the #1 team was eliminated that the #2 team would take over the home field spot.

5. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pointless till all teams have control of their stadiums. Last thing anyone would want is Dragon stadium to host the final. Talk about a joke.

6. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Although it's great to see tons of home fans packing the stadium (see Gillette last year), all of the surrounding events and meetings are very important to MLS as a business. Also, ensuring that the event itself serves as an ad for the league is enhanced by throwing the championship at the stadia that let the league put its best foot forward. You're reasons aren't wrong, but some of the stuff you've left out of your argument are the real reasons this isn't likely to happen.

7. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca
    Re: Re: Supporters Shield should = MLS cup home field advantage

I think that should be what the MLS All-Star game is for.

8. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Six teams in the playoffs with the Conference champs getting the first round bye.

First round is a single game so the two champs don't sit for too long without a game. The second round is home and away with the second game at the home of the champ. This gives the Conference champs at least three weeks to sell tickets to the only playoff game. That means good sales and a serious home field advantage.

MLS Cup needs to be a double header with a 3rd place match before the final. That would mean that the two Conference champions would be playing at MLS Cup no matter what. That gives the supporters over a month notice that their team will be at MLS Cup. Maybe not for the final, but it's guaranteed that you can get that early plane ticket at a cheap price and see your team.

Take San Jose this year. They won their division many weeks ago. The supporters could be done planning for MLS Cup and the playoffs haven't even started. Same for the Fire Fans.

Only one playoff game for the champs is a huge advantage. Yes, this would be for both Conference champions, but it's the best I can come up with.