Supporters Group Name

Discussion in 'Houston Supporters Clubs' started by Numero Dos, Jan 8, 2006.

1. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the novel and book, A Clockwork Orange, is usually called La Naranja Mecanica in Spanish.

2. fordfjord

fordfjord Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I finally voted in the above poll, but as the name given to us was "Houston 1836", it seems to me that the first two poll choices are one and the same, now... :p

I didn't do a hard count over in the official name-choosing thread, but it seemed to me that Clockwork Orange is the front-runner right now. That's cool, 'cause I like it. And this one falls under Option 1 and Option 3 in the above poll... But I do like others, and I am still undecided. Basically, I feel that whatever name we end up with, I am not going to mind too terribly much. :confused:

My wife likes "1836 Battalion", or, in short, just the "Battalion". I'm assuming that this is pretty much universally translateable (sp?), as she is saying it in Portuguese, and it sounds pretty much the same.

I can't remember which name her mom liked - I think it was "Old 34 Boyz" (I'm fairly certain it had something to do with "Boyz"), but I'm not waking her up to ask her right this moment.

Now, help me out here, but who exactly is voting on Friday night? Just dues-paying members, or anyone with more than a passing interest in the group? I ask, as I have been putting FuBoy's list out to anyone who cares to look at it (work, neighbors, etc.), simply out of curiousity's sake and just to get a general feeling from more people than just us (for now!) few. Will we throw those several picks into the final mix, or use them as closing campaign fodder?

3. bford

bford Member

Houston Dynamo, Everton, USMNT
    Nov 30, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes I need to know when to get my commercials aired....on radio and tv. Hey when I want a name, I go for it. ......:D

rock

bford

4. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't mind letting everyone vote on the name. If it's just the people paying dues this week, it'll be the same people that voted on here and we'll never find a majority winner. That's just my .02.

5. footex

footex C'MON HOUSTON!!!

Feb 9, 2006
    HellRazinKop
    I think CLOCKWORK ORANGE is something the rest of the footy world wont expect. They think were a bunch of dumb hicks that would call it the Shootin Gallery or the Rodeo...they wouldnt expect the ultra-violence:D

6. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The more I think about it, the more I like Clockwork Orange. The votes here aren't binding, right? I was of the opinion that it was just to get an idea of a few names that were popular and then tomorrow we'd actually vote.

7. nosnehpets

nosnehpets New Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Austin, TX
    The home kits better be showing plenty of orange for those orange-oriented names to make sense.

I'm still waiting to see how Space City Blue makes it into the kits....

8. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not all that big of a fan of Clockwork Orange. What happens down the road is MLS changes the color? Or, like the person above me pointed out, what if there isn't alot of orange in the uniform? I just don't think "Hi, welcome to Clockwork Orange's section" has a very nice ring to it at all.

Oh and Dre, the votes aren't binding. That was just to get an idea of the top 5 names so we could vote at the meeting.

9. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I thought the Casbah was one of the better names that and it lasted beyond the Clash name. But if orange doesn't play a prominent role in the kit, it won't make much sense. The main reason why I'm growing to like it is that a lot of the other names are too similar to the names of other supporter's groups. Why don't we just go by the "The Cop" ;)

Anyway, I'm sure we'll have a spirited discussion in the lead up to the vote.

10. bford

bford Member

Houston Dynamo, Everton, USMNT
    Nov 30, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, if orange is the major color, then I like Orange Machine as a team nickname, but for the supporters group I like legion 1836 and a couple of others. Clockwork Orange just sounds so strange to me... plus I just don't like the movie very much.