Supporters Group Name - Part II

Discussion in 'Houston Supporters Clubs' started by yanks02, Jan 20, 2006.

1. nosnehpets

nosnehpets New Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I can think of two things against Ravens - one is the NFL team for what that's worth, and the other is that the logical predominant color of the group would be black, which could be uncomfortable if there are day games during the heat of the season. Spanish looks like it would be "Los Cuervos," which sounds cooler to me for some reason.

I'll be supporting from afar, so no reason to listen to me, really.

2. Numero Dos

Numero Dos Member

Sep 8, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Just throwin' some ideas out (sorry if they were mentioned previously, I don't have time to check). What about "The 6-Shooters" or "Raven Lunatics (or Raven's Lunatics)"?

I'll get back to brainstorming.

3. Numero Dos

Numero Dos Member

Sep 8, 2001
    Houston, TX
    [​IMG]

Bored, so i did a website header.

4. fordfjord

fordfjord Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aackkkk! That actually looks pretty cool - and my first thought when I saw "Lunatics" was that I wasn't particularly fond of the idea of being called a loonie!

5. TxFan

TxFan Member

Sep 6, 2001
    Re: Supporters Group Name

i'm not sure if that's true. i think that many texans are in fact bilingual and might even think it cool to have a motto in both spanish and english...

6. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston

But don't forget all the people that are bilingual but not English/Spanish. There are many ethnic groups in the city, I feel that an English name would be more welcoming to all of them than a Spanish name. I'm not dead set against a Spanish name and won't get upset if one is chosen, I'm just offering another view point.

On a seperate note my favoritesso far are:
    The 34th Battalion or Sam Houston's 34th Battalion
    Northenders
    Super Spectacular Crazy Happy Fun Club

I also really like the Raven Lunatics name and header.

7. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    You beat me to it. I was thinking of Los Cuervos on the way home from work today but I had computer problems and couldn't post it.

I don't know if it has a negative meaning in Spanish other than making people think of Jose Cuervo tequila.

Raven's Lunatics also kind of translates as Los Cuervos Locos.

Might be something to work with there.

I was also thinking of Blackbirds but I hadn't come up with anything other than the Blackbirds. That might work better as a nickname for the team.

8. TxFan

TxFan Member

Sep 6, 2001
    supporters group name?

the houston digits!!!

9. fordfjord

fordfjord Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For that matter, "Ravens" as the nickname for the team...

Manchester United - Red Devils
    Houston 1836 - Black Ravens

... just to try it on...

(Posting same in "36ers" thread)

10. nosnehpets

nosnehpets New Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Raven Lunatics/Los Cuervos Locos - they're both cool to me - use 'em both if you can figure out a way to do it without being awkward. History lesson might be needed again, but we'll have the best educated fans on early 19th-century history in American sports by the time all of this is done.

Unfortunately, http://www.ravenlunatics.com. Doesn't look like anything was trademarked though.

11. lfcli30

lfcli30 Member

Jun 21, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Gunslingers?

12. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure it's been discussed, but what's the significance of the Ravens? I really don't want to dig back through all the pages of this (and the other) thread.

13. fordfjord

fordfjord Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sam Houston's alter ego, gifted to him by the Native Americans (read: Indians) who liked him.

14. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't he live with the Cherokees at some point? We need Celt to clear this up. ;)

15. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Houston

16. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey I have some Cherokee in me! (Please do not go there with the bad joke guys.)

And thanks for all the answers!

17. FuBoy

FuBoy Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Muttering *Be nice to the lovely lady Fuboy, be nice.*

What do you think about this:

1. We call the team the Rovers. Yes, we can still have a silly little Raven mascot running around for the kids.
    2. We call the supporters organization Club 1836, Porra 1836, 俱乐部, and whatever other translations the group decides should be supported via web sites, banners, and other communications.
    3. We call the members of Club 1836 who stand in the north endzone seats the NorthEnders, Hinchadas el Norte, etc. (Assuming Oliver and Co. have been reading all our desires to fill up the entire north end with beer-drinking, chating, singing, drumming, standing supporters.)

That way we are all one group - we have one name - but we can talk about ourselves in multiple languages. :)

Who the heck says we have to have a name that is only-English, only-Spanish, or mixed? Why can't we have all of these!!!

I like the idea of calling the section - Raven's Nest - however it's seems like this one should be reserved for the upper deck.

18. Veruca

Veruca Member

Jul 13, 2005
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the idea of an upper deck section being called the nest.

19. Weber King

Weber King Member

Sep 28, 2001
    North Andover, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey all and welcome to the league!

I've been following this thread since it's beginning and I like the way you are thinking.

However, I want to caution you that a few of the names that you guys are tossing out there are extremely close to other supporters groups that are in the league.

La Norte, Eagle's Nest, Legion 04 and Barra Brava are already in use in one fashion or another.

This is a chance for you to establish a brand new tradition that is unique solely to yourselves - be original. Personally, I like the ode to Sam Houston is some form.

Good luck.

- WK, longtime Midnight Rider

20. fordfjord

fordfjord Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, but is not imitation the sincerest form of flattery? Besides which, any of those names might possibly lead to an instantaneous hate-hate relationship (the battle of the Legions, etc.), good for fomenting those "bad blood" rivalries... ;)

21. 562nation

562nation Member

May 10, 2004
    (562)areacode LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Had it not been taken I'd have suggested Sams Army but we all know they already are the established US Nat supporters group.

Heres one

The H-Town Ultras

Have someone do the banner for the Supporters section in Grafitti stlye letters using Houstons Colors.

Kinda Like Ajax has at their stadium. If someone has Pictures of that please post so to help our newest supporters group with more ideas

Good Luck Gentleman

22. fordfjord

fordfjord Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eesh! All the pics of the Ajax Ultras I found on Google would not best represent what I envision for our group. I kind of liked the rampaging-looking mob photo, though - the one with the flaming torches et al - but for very different reasons!

23. FuBoy

FuBoy Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just thought about this. If we're in the Northend - and the sun is to the south - we are the one's that are going to be cooking, and squinting into the sun. Makes "Southenders" sound better.

Maybe someone can recall the sunny-sides from previous visits...

24. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think Celt drew a little diagram for us after the press conf last week and the sun won't be shining on us at all. He might have to clarify that, but I think the way the sun is at an angle, it won't be hitting us?

25. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

The field at Robertson runs almost exactly North-South. So if you are at the North end of the stadium you could sit on the West side and have the sun to your right side in the afternoon and at your back into the evening.

If you sit in the North endzone you could be looking into the sun during afternoon games.

By "North End", I thought people meant the Northwest corner of the stadium.