Supporters Group Meeting - Sat, January 7 @ 7 PM: Richmond Arms

Discussion in 'Houston Supporters Clubs' started by yanks02, Dec 30, 2005.

1. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There were 26 people there according to my sign up list.

2. bford

bford Member

Houston Dynamo, Everton, USMNT
    Nov 30, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it looked like more than that. I went, but I got there late, around 8.15 and the room was so crowded that I just hung around for a bit and then left to go see some friends and Sheila Marshall sing at the Firehouse....

I left my home in Alvin at 6.30 for this event, but was fortunate enough get behind two accidents on the way... I was not in a good mood until later that night for sure.

hope everyone had a better time than me!

stupid cars and people that crash them....

rock
    bford

3. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    #@$@#$@#@4

Had a last second family thing come up....sorry that I missed it...I will have to make the next one.

4. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't let that discourage you for next time. The after-party was bumpin'. I think next time it will be somewhere a little bigger so we'll have a bit more space. Remember, Feb 11th...mark your calendars.

5. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    Maybe have someone send a message to Glenn Davis about the meeting. And he could maybe get it a little press in the media.

6. bford

bford Member

Nov 30, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After I saw the pics of everyone outside I was thinking, man I could have hung out and waited to see Sheila Marshall another time...

I'll make it soon though.

rock
    bford

7. FuBoy

FuBoy Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for making the long trip anyways! Here's to wishing better traffic flow for the next event!

8. bford

bford Member

Nov 30, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could also try leaving a little earlier this time.. but I'm blaming that on the wife, since she will never be on this board...:)

9. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I unstuck this thread because it's now been over a week and we'll probably have some new stickable announcements coming up in the next few weeks.

Someone will later post an announcement thread about the next supporters' group meeting (tentatively scheduled for Feb. 11) at least a week in advance and we'll sticky it then.

You can still sign up for the Houston MLS Yahoo Group.

FuBoy has also set up an initial web site for the supporters' group: Supporters Web Site - Temporary.

10. Numero Dos

Numero Dos Member

Sep 8, 2001
    Houston, TX
    I'm waiting to hear back from my two friends who own bars re a location for the 2/11 meeting. I didn't e-mail them until recently because I've been swamped. I assume momentum will pick up around here on 1/23 or so when we get the team's name/logo.

11. houstonmls

houstonmls Member

Aug 11, 1999
    Dallas

Damn those were the days......

12. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Next meeting

I just want to toss this thought out there before we announce the next meeting - how about Friday, Feb. 10, instead of Saturday, Feb. 11 - I have a good reason and a self-serving reason to ask to think about that.

The more or less good reason is that the US plays a friendly against Japan on Sat. Feb. 10 and it'll be on ESPN2 at 10:00 pm. If we have the next meeting on Friday evening, then we can linger and watch the US game and maybe even get a bigger crowd.

The self-serving reason is that Rice plays Texas in college baseball at the Minute Maid Park Classic that Saturday night. I've committed a while back to going to the baseball game and maybe some other people have too? I'm not even attempting to suggest that this is a good reason to reschedule anything - just mentioning it for the sake of honest disclosure. ;)

We've mentioned Feb. 11 a few times, so keeping that date makes perfect sense and Saturday nights are often better for many people than Friday nights. I just wanted to toss Fri. the 10th out there as an option before we finalize the announcement for the next meeting.

13. fordfjord

fordfjord Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That might work for me - I should be back in town earlier that week, if not the week before, so yeah, I'm (provisionally) in.

14. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Next meeting

Jen actually brought this idea up too. I think it's a great idea. We can have the meeting at 7 (or even 8) and then stay afterwards to watch the game and drink some beer. (Not like we drink beer at our meeting or anything ;) ) The only problem I foresaw was it being on a Friday and people have to work Fridays. But if we have it at like 8 or so, it gives you time to get off work and make it wherever we are, hopefully.

Does this sound like a good idea to everyone? Post some responses and if we get enough interest, I'll start a poll asking people what day they prefer.

15. bford

bford Member

Nov 30, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds good to me...

plus if we wanted to get a group together to watch the game, it might be difficult for people to get out both nights...

(silly wives and kids)

bford

16. FuBoy

FuBoy Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm good for friday - anytime after 5:30. However, I think it would be nice if we could make a decision by Tuesday, so we'd have at least a week and a bit (and a couple Glenn David Soccer Hours) to get the word out.

JamesGorley

17. bford

bford Member

Nov 30, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That is a good idea. More time to prepare. Give everyone proper notice.

18. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm in for Friday at the Arms anytime after 5:30.

19. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as it's not earlier than 8, I can swing it.

Numero Dos,

How far along are you in trying to secure a meeting place with your connections? Would it be possible to move up a day? Personally, I think he needs to chime in because he's been working on securing a place.

20. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once its decided, perhaps one of the mods can change the title of this thread to the date/time?

21. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll start a new thread for it. It'll be easier to spot then.