Supporters Group Meeting - Sat, January 7 @ 7 PM: Richmond Arms

Discussion in 'Houston Supporters Clubs' started by yanks02, Dec 30, 2005.

1. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay so this time was suggested and it's looking good for people so far.

Saturday, January 7 @ 7PM at Richmond Arms.

Richmond Arms is located at 5920 Richmond Ave. Their website is here and a map here

I guess we'll do a sort of roll call to get an idea of how many will be there.

2. fordfjord

fordfjord Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awsome. God willing and the flood waters don't rise, I'll be there.

3. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds good.

4. chazsoccer

chazsoccer Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Republic of Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good Luck to you guys!

Based on observations of watching (and being involved in) supporters groups, you will have a blast, make a lot of new friends, and learn quite a bit about group dynamics.

Some things you will probably want to discuss:

Where to sit/stand in stadium?

Where to tailgate?

What is the purpose of your supporters group?

(drink? hang out? sing? chant? just make noise? formal group or informal?)
    [​IMG]

How will people know you are a supporter?
    (by where you sit? what you wear? how you behave?)

How will your group be organized?
    (membership? just whoever shows? only BS posters? dues? adults only? anyone? )

How will you communicate?
    (soccer boards? emails? create own website? phone calls?)

How will you get the word out to potential new members?
    (just let it happen? word-of-mouth? internet? flyers? get a newspaper article? radio? space on team's website? hook up with local college kids?)

Roadtrips?
    Coming up to Dallas for Feb 19 US friendly?
    Two games at FC Dallas?
    World Cup in June?
    Other games?

What will your group be called?

Watching Parties?

Game day props?

Banners? Signs? Blow-up dolls? ;)

Secret Handshakes and Passwords are optional

5. FuBoy

FuBoy Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the map and location. For those of you that haven't been, it's just east of Fountainview on the north side of Richmond. It sit's right next to a Wendy's, and there's plenty of parking in the back. I'll fire on the old red USMNT jersey. Forecast looks nice for sitting outside, unless there's going to be some good soccer on the tele.

6. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be there. 7 PM sounds early enough to avoid the big Saturday night crowds. Looking forward to it...

7. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Richmond Arms pic - they have a nice patio in front, maybe we can gather there if the weather's nice and there's still space:

[​IMG]

8. The Spleen

The Spleen New Member

Sep 8, 2005
    San Antonio, Tejas
    kudos for picking the richmond arms, i'll do my best to get out there.

9. Numero Dos

Numero Dos Member

Sep 8, 2001
    Houston, TX
    me, too

10. Hypo-Luxa

Hypo-Luxa New Member

Oct 13, 2002
    Austin,TX
    well damnitalltohellandback!

Two years after I move from Dallas to Houston, Dallas gets the Dallas Burn...gutted

One year after I move from Houston to Austin, Houston gets a team...I give up!

But I'll be with ya'll in spirit!!

PS. Richmond Arms is a great place to have a supporter's meeting if not be the official bar of said supporter's group. Now maybe they can replace a few(preferrably ALL) of their dirty Liverpool jerseys with some Houston ones!

11. bford

bford Member

Houston Dynamo, Everton, USMNT
    Nov 30, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I shall do my best to be there...
    stinking Liverpool Jerseys...

rock

bford

12. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm there!

13. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Just some thoughts based on what I have seen experienced with other soccer and non-soccer groups.

My experience has been that email groups work best only to organize and keep a club's planning private. Keep the trolls away and concentrate on the nuts-and-bolts of a tailgate, fund raising, etc.

BigSoccer.com is the best place I have seen to gather around chit-chat and fan support for the team.

As far as web page, start simple. K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Stupid. You can probably start with geocities.com since they have a free web hosting and a very simple tool kit for setting up a web page. Keep at the beginning with a small of pages, maybe just start with one web page with the basic information: contact info, meeting times, etc. If funds start coming, you can probably upgrade it to a web page with your own unique url and the bells and whistles you want.

Keep up the great work. Hopefully, this rivalry can get as good as a Tigres-Monterrey or Chivas-America rivalry. :D

14. FC Texas

FC Texas New Member

Jun 1, 2005

Let me know if you want to go a very flexible route in paying $2.99 for a year of domain name service (DNS), and $12 for a year of webhosting that offers a multitude of services - including Wiki, which allows 'open source' additions to 'agreed upon' contributors (Houston fans) to the cause. This will include Bulletin Board functionality and email list service as well.

I can ask Buzz if we can use his Matchnight graphics for this proposed website in cooperation for mutual promotion.

15. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the ideas about the website. Someone a lot more computer literate than me will have to get back to you about hosting otions and stuff. I have always hated website design and have no clue about any of it.

Celt! I'm so glad to here you are coming! I was worried when you weren't around the boards much lately.

16. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Damn...those are good rates. Is that open to..uh..other soccer and non-soccer groups? :D

17. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I follow mostly South American futbol, but ever since I heard Houston was getting a MLS team I've been getting excited about the whole thing. I'd love to chant for a local team on a constant basis.

The fact that I go to UofH makes things easier too! I could just walk from the Arch building to the stadium every Saturday (if that's when MLS games are played).

I'll try to make it on Saturday if possible. Either way, I think I'll keep posting in these forums to keep myself informed. ^_^

18. The Spleen

The Spleen New Member

Sep 8, 2005
    San Antonio, Tejas
    does anyone have an idea how many houston supporters are floating around Big Soccer?

19. The Spleen

The Spleen New Member

Sep 8, 2005
    San Antonio, Tejas
  20. drew622

drew622 Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds great.....I'll be there.

21. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a clue...but the number of people who vote for the tagline should give some indication. I haven't been around BS long but I will say that I've noticed a lot more Houston supporters roaming around in the last week or so.

That's awesome that the Chron forum has info on the meeting Saturday. Looking forward to it.

22. The Spleen

The Spleen New Member

Sep 8, 2005
    San Antonio, Tejas
    I've also noticed increased activity, especially from other H-town BS newbies; hopefully a good number of non-BS members see the post on chron.com about the supporter's group.

23. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Is there one big Houston adult rec league organization, or is it broken into smaller groups by area? If its one big one, you can have them send out an email to their captains or something to publicize this. Getting in with the local adult soccer groups is a good way to attract like minded folk to the cause......people who might now follow the ins and outs of the pro game, but who understand the game. Also, you can do the same with any big youth orgs out there.....for the coaches and the parents.

24. Numero Dos

Numero Dos Member

Sep 8, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Houston Football Association has 80 teams. I'm on the board and have forwarded this info to our league administrator. With approval by the rest of the board, we'll get it on the website (www.hfasoccer.com) and possibly e-mail the managers.

25. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh not to fear amiga mia!

I and a few other Houston supporters remember when the old Hurricanes had a supporters section in the stands. We had just a few die hards but I remember those nights like they were yesterday. We had trumpets, confetti, flags and as close to replica jerseys as we could find...usally a Boca top or Tigres top :)

There is no way that I am going to miss this opportunity! All of us need to remain focused on a common goal of having a very well supported Team Houston and having the players feel the pressure of supplying the Alegria for us each and every weekend!

I already have a few chants and songs that we used to use back in the day. I would want to keep at least one old Hurricanes song alive.