Supporters' Group Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Supporters Clubs' started by yanks02, Dec 16, 2005.

1. CK

CK Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Southeast
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Houston MLS supporters (for those stuck at home).

I'm feeling kinda guilty that I couldn't make the supporter's meeting and am stuck in New Orleans. At least I'm not alone, b/c I just noticed that we have 11 members online viewing the H-town forums.

Also I noticed we have a few guests. For those that our Houston fans, I figure now is the best time to join Bigsoccer. The supporting can start here.

Back to the topic, I figure that we can think of our own ideas while we have a chance, and then compare them to what the group comes back from the game.

Somethings we can post about

Chants: always fun
    Group name

Let the posting begin.

2. CK

CK Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Southeast
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Houston MLS supporters (for those stuck at home).

I'll start if off.

Many supporters sections seem to like sitting behind the goal (disrupting goalies, etc.). I think it'd be best to sit along the 18 yrd box if we could. Those have always been my favorite seats, and you get a good offsides view, and a nice view on goals as well.

Any other suggestions on where to sit?

3. Sandman

Sandman Member

Apr 27, 1999
    San Antonio,TX, USA

I live in San Antonio but will definitely be making the trip to Houston for a few games. I am listening to the Glenn Davis show right now.

To comment on the topic - I think seating should be around the 18 yard line, that way when the team scores they can celebrate with the supporters group.

Group name - I read somewhere the Bayou Billies. I also liked Sam Houston's Army, the Brigade, or the H-Town Hooligans.

4. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You don't have to worry about feeling left out. I was the only person that showed up.

Well gocaps (the DC United/Screaming Eagles fan) showed up and we had a very nice talk. I'll be writing down the advice he gave us and posting it soon.

5. Sandman

Sandman Member

Apr 27, 1999
    San Antonio,TX, USA

The only one that showed up! Ouch.

I know with Houston it would be very difficult to find a central meeting location that suits everyone (especially now during the holidays).

It might be easier to have several small groups coordinating them through this website. I know when I lived in Cy-Fair I didn't want to travel very far into town if I didn't have to.

Talking to some Houston friends, it sounds like the team is getting very good press. They were all excited and they don't even watch soccer, much less MLS. They were all talking about getting tickets and tailgating.

6. The Spleen

The Spleen New Member

Sep 8, 2005
    San Antonio, Tejas

the site was not too far from where i live, but i ended up having to work late so i couldn't make it...sorry.

7. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If we end up hosting a USMNT match in early spring up here in Dallas, it would be great if some of you could use that as a chance to meet up.

As a former Houston resident and a long-time fan of Houston pro sports, I'll be rooting for Houston as my "2nd team", and would like to get involved in helping you guys get off to a good start.

8. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meeting Notes 12-21-05

First off, a big thanks to gocaps who kept me company and had some really good advice for us. I look forward to working with you in the future! And maybe seeing yall down here for a game.

Points made December 21, 2005

• Start out simple. Get the tailgate going first. Need a couple of grills with hamburger and hot dogs, kegs of beer, non alcoholic drinks such as coke and water. Screaming Eagles charges $8 for non members and $6 for members for tailgates. Need shaded area preferably with some grass at the tailgate.
    • Memberships: Screaming Eagle does a $20 per year membership which includes one tailgate pass. Anyone under 21 memberships are $5.
    • Talk about if our supporter group is going to be more family friendly or more rowdy. i.e. with the chants/cheers.
    • Need central place to meet/preferably downtown or near the stadium. (Note: talk about this. See if people want this or if they want different places set up on different sides of town)
    • Get a soccer friendly bar for away game watching.
    • Look at what is allowed/isn’t allowed at Robertson Stadium (i.e. streamers, confetti, drums, etc)
    • Get someone to set up the website and update regularly once we come up with a name
    • Get into contact with the Houston FO. Need to try and get a relationship established with them. Help on tickets, seating section, general help from the FO for the supporters group. (Note: Oliver Luck said he would be reporting January 1…try then)
    • Again, don’t try to do too much the first year. Main things are getting people to the tailgates/games and building the fan base. Two things I’d like to really look at doing. 1. Bus trip to Dallas at least once. 2. Some merchandise to sell. Some T shirts, stickers, etc that people could buy so we can all wear the same shirt, etc. Plus merchandise could be a good fundraiser.

What we need to do now:

• Decide on a place to meet. Call around to soccer bars and see if they would object to us meeting there. I guess put a poll up afterwards so people can decide where and when to meet.
    • Decide on a group name. It doesn’t necessarily have to be the same as the team name will be, so we can go ahead and decide that.
    • Once we get a name, find someone to be in charge of creating, designing, updating regularly a website.
    • Talk at meetings about who can do what. For example, we’ll need a couple of people to run the grill at the tailgates (you don’t want me cooking), a person to do the website, a person to be in contact with the FO, maybe a treasurer type person to keep track of money and people that have paid, etc.
    • Get an email address from everyone so we can send out newsletter type things for those who don’t check in to bigsoccer everyday.

I really hope I'm not stepping on people's toes here. I don't want to become the leader of the supporter's group or anything. I just want to get it started and help out with it, so that way we have plenty of time to make the group as awesome as it can be in April. I just wrote this all down to give people ideas to start discussing. So, I guess start discussing. We need input from everyone, those who will be members and even those who won't be. This group is only going to be as good as we all make it.

9. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Supporters Group meeting info -- Weds. 12/21 7:00 pm

Suggestion from someone who went through all of this in '96:

Start simple. Just arrange with the front office to get a block of seats at Robertson for the supporters and publicize that if you want to be in the supporters group, to get your seats in that block. Similarly, figure out a tailgate area and publicize that.

Once you actually start getting people together, then you can figure out what you've got and what you want to be.

10. wcharriscpa

wcharriscpa Member

Arsenal FC
    Dec 26, 2000
    Austin
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Meeting Notes 12-21-05

Every great journey begins with a single step.

Repped, sir.

11. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I thought there was a decent chance of that happening. No worries guys. It was always going to start small. I would have been there if possible. I'd be very interested to hear what gocaps has to say since he has some experience with this.

In just thinking about it in my spare time, it seems the hardest thing is getting the word out so to speak. There's obviously more than the handful of posters here at BS who have expressed interest in starting a group that are interested in starting a group. Heck, there may be several other groups trying to get together that we don't know about, all with the purpose of starting a supporter's group. It seems to me that the most important thing initially is to take inventory of anyone who wants to be a part of a dedicated supporter's group for the team and that means trying to contact people who want to play an active role. Now the only way I can think of to try and spread the word so to speak is to flyer, advertise, scream...whatever it takes at every soccer bar, store, field...anywhere where a future Houston MLS fan might reside. The more people we bring in initially (within reason of course...too many people initially might bog things down) the more ideas and progress it seems like we can make. Once we have a good, solid core group of people who are dedicated to put time and effort into this to make it the best group in MLS (and I think it's going to take a decent sized commitment) we can start to look at what some other groups have done to make their supporter's groups a success. This is where I'd be really interested to hear gocaps or anyone else's detailed suggestions or experiences.

Anyway, even though it delays the process, I think the best idea might be to have the few of us that are very interested to get together the weekend after New Year's. I know it's a long time to wait but with the holidays and everyone's different work schedules, it will be hard for a lot of people to get together this weekend, next weekend, or any of the weekdays in between. Maybe a Saturday afternoon at a soccer pub? Watch a little EPL, drink a little Guiness and talk a little Houston MLS. Until then, we can use the forum to toss ideas back and forth and get the ball rolling so to speak.

Just throwing out ideas...any feedback is welcome.

12. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

ma'am. ;)

Thank you very much though.

13. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks for the advice Jefe. That's pretty much what Paul was saying as well.

14. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

Yank02, I think you have a great plan going forward. Since you are the first one who has taken initiative to get this thing organized, I would not worry about stepping on people's toes. Get out and lead and they will follow.

15. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Don't worry too much. A weeknight before Christmas is very difficult for a lot of people to change plans. I had a prior commitment and I'm sure a lot of other people did, too. Many companies have their holiday parties on weeknights this week and a lot of people are already out of town on vacation - it's just a tough time to schedule something.

If we could do another gathering after the holidays on say, a Sunday afternoon or evening at say, a pub like Brian O'Neill's (or someplace more family-friendly if people prefer), then I'd think we'd get more turnout.

16. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano

Rocket's idea of coming up for the highly probably US friendly vs Guatemala on Feb 19th in Frisco is excellent and something you guys should pounce on. You can see for yourselves how Sam's Army does it thing...which will give you some ideas. Being a USMNT game, its bound to be interesting to a lot of you...i.e. no excuses. It will give you a chance to meet up with supporters from around the country. It will also give you a chance to meet those that run the Inferno, and get some advice from them.

And if you want to arrange for a block of seats together I happen to know a sales executive to set you up. :)

17. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks very much for taking the initiative!

18. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134

Good luck, all of you. Yanks can't do it alone, so make sure you guys work together on this.

Yanks, it was really nice meeting you (again, as it turned out), and I look forward to seeing you - and everyone else - when DC comes down here to kick your butt ;)

19. Penwyth

Penwyth Member

Mar 10, 1999
    Earth
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well it was a shot in the dark. I was out there looking for anyone Houston TBDs Supporter related, ie with a sign to that extent. Not a problem. Sorry I missed y'all. I hung around for the first half, but split cause it was cold. I came straight from work with only a light jacket. Pretty damn cold after a while. Glad I wasn't sitting on the bench in a light kit like some of the players. I'll keep my eyes open for any supporter activities. Thanks for organizing. Great info Yanks02. Appreciated!

20. irishwhisper

irishwhisper New Member

Aug 22, 2005
    Dublin,Ireland

Can anyone tell me what happened LA Galaxy??? Are they gone???

21. Naco

Naco Member

Aug 5, 2001

I have no experience in the area, so take this with a grain of salt, but perhaps you should hold off on charging people right away. Build a base, then take their money.

22. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Charging membership dues accomplishes 2 things, shows commitment to the club and provides much needed start up funds (for website, grills, etc.) Don't be afraid to charge for stuff, you'll need a kitty for deposits for buses or airline tickets. Find someone with treasury experience (someone who can be trusted and set up some checks and balances for money handling). Protect your assets and money!

Good luck gang and welcome to MLS

K

23. DeKo21DCU

DeKo21DCU New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    VA

Welcome to MLS Houston folks.

I'm sure you've realized this but gocaps and K know what they're doing. Consider their advice on supporters clubs gold.

Good luck in '06.

24. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yep - that is always an argument out there (whether or not to charge), but Kim said it best. IIRC, The Inferno charged dues almost every year - and the few times they didn't, it wasn't much of a benefit.

Make it simple - 5/10 or so. Nothing extravigant. But enough to do things like make a banner, flags, a flag to fly over the group when your team scores, etc.

Are you guys coming up for the (hopefully, soon to be finalized) USA-Guatemala game on 2-19 at PHP? With the game on Sunday, you guys could come up on Saturday and hook up with the Dallas folk to get ideas, figure out some of the rivalry stuff, get to know each other and then enjoy our present and your future with a sold out PHP.

25. Teutonic Fuhrer

Teutonic Fuhrer Red Card

Jun 1, 2005

I pity all of you who would dare to make the trip for a possible match up against the San Jose Frogs in the US Open Cup. If you decide to come down here, make sure all of you have life insurance.
    The Frogs Army is eager to meet your new supporters group!