Supporters Alliances

Discussion in 'Columbus Supporters Clubs' started by Legion04, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Legion04

Legion04 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Arlington, Virginia
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember, if we go after an English side, we need to make sure that this doesn't cause a conflict of interest. Of all the foreign leagues in the world, most of us follow the EPL (perhaps the Coca-Cola Championship too if your side has been relegated). A side like Millwall or Aston Villa would easily cause conflict of interest.

Ideally I would like to see us have very close relationships with one side each in Germany, UK, one other European country, Australia/NZ, and another American side (probably USL). Basically we'd have 5 friendships. Enough that we can travel around and have a safe spot and another side to support, but not too many that the friendships don't mean anything in substance.

2. TheUltra

TheUltra Member

Mar 23, 2008
    2.4 Miles from home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I like the idea of Crew FC that'd be kinda cool, that or another league 1 or 2 team would be great. My guess as far as championship goes is that unless some of us are from their the ties pry aren't strong enough to cause an overwhelming conflict. QPR would be good with gino for example, Hell preston North End was McB's home for awhile, ya know before the darkside and all that. Millwall would be hilarious but they pry wouldn't care enough to respond if their rep is to believed :D

And i'll keep ya posted on the Kiwi's right now i'm just trying to learn about their team and the league.

3. electrickeeper

electrickeeper The Ginger Pele
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nowt wrong with Crewe Alexandria.

Good shout.

4. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Digging this back up

Have we pretty much just let this idea die or is there some sort of desire to try and continue with this. maybe since we are now in the offseason it would be easier to make figure this out since we have nothing better to do with our time.

5. TheUltra

TheUltra Member

Mar 23, 2008
    2.4 Miles from home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this thread is going to need a Retread with our best options summarized.

I still like the idea of an alliance and Cleveland is pry a better choice now that they're USL1. I like the lower league UK or anywhere in Germany connections.

6. Portland Ale Patrol

Jul 1, 2008
    Portland OR
    You will always have our (SDSC) support.

we love we love you we love you
    And where you go we'll follow we'll follow we'll follow
    Cos we support Columbus Columbus Columbus
    And thats the way we like it like it like it

Ooooooooh oooooooooh oooooooooooh ohhhhhhhhhhhh

Cheers from Portland

7. CrewNoob

CrewNoob Member

May 7, 2008
    Huntington, WV
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why are things so quiet in here? Now's the best time to try something with another SG. We just won MLS so maybe there will be a little more awareness of our presence

8. Legion04

Legion04 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Arlington, Virginia
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm totally game for restarting the efforts in this capacity. I kept sending e-mails to St. Pauli supporters, but got nothing back directly. In nine months I'll be heading to Germany for an academic year and can solidify anything we establish. I'm pretty sure I'll be in Berlin.

Just to summarize...this is the strategy that I am proposing.

We should reach out to one (maybe two) other American clubs and establish a friendly partnership. We should find a club in Germany (for the German heritage aspect) as well as a lower-level club in England, since so many people follow English soccer. By having a lower-level club, it most likely won't create a conflict of interest. We could also find a club in Asia or Australia. All in all, this would mean a partnership with 4-5 clubs worldwide. The reason for this number is because we want to have enough partnerships that Crew fans can find friends in Europe, the US, and Asia. However, we want these friendships to be something unique and special, thus we need to limit the number we have as well.

Why?

Friends/Networking - Imagine being a Columbus supporter and travelling to Germany or elsewhere and simply being welcomed with open arms, just by showing your Crew gear or supporters club membership card. What a great way to meet new friends. Learn about the local culture from fellow supporters.

Group Development - We can exchange chants, songs, and ideas with other supporters from around the globe. Columbus supporters would also be able to unite in following a couple of clubs overseas.

Recognition - If a Nordecke banner is flying somewhere in England or Germany, people are going to notice. The exposure of our club and supporters will no longer be confined to the MLS.

*I've been going more after the German club portion of this. I think Ultra has been talking a little bit with supporters of the Wellington Phoenix of New Zealand. If someone wants to work on finding a lower-level English club as well as another American club...be my guest...just propose ideas to the entire group before contacting people.*

This might be considered blasphemy, but I'm going to propose it anyways. If you're looking for another American club to allign with...perhaps ACB from LA isn't such a bad start. As MLS expands, having a friendship with someone like them could have amazing benefits. We were treated like royalty out there and I have never seen another supporters club go so far out of their way to get to know us and have fun with us too. Anyone who went to LA will most likely know what I'm talking about. Anytime the Nordecke paused, they started up one of our chants and got us going again. Really, who does that? Pretty classy stuff. This is just an idea that comes to mind if you want to create another US partnership.

9. TheUltra

TheUltra Member

Mar 23, 2008
    2.4 Miles from home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I say forget St. Pauli they don't seem interested and pry get many requests like this with their notoriety. Focus on VBV, after all they're in berlin no?

Also weren't they the ones who used our logo for one of their banners?

I think Wearethecrew1 was looking at doing a study abroad in Cardiff sometime next year so that may have our lower league Uk covered.

I've been speaking with the Kiwi's but from what I've seen there's very little interest in MLS. I'll keep trying to bring it in but personally I like the USL1(cleveland) German (VBV or another Berlin club) and lower UK club choices.

Heck we even have enough argentine fans that a Crew Boca alliance could be a viable option. I do think to really get things working though that face to face contact will be key.

10. TheUltra

TheUltra Member

Mar 23, 2008
    2.4 Miles from home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also i think this thread needs a remix shortly to clear things up and encourage new people to join in who may not want to read through 24 pages.

11. Legion04

Legion04 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Arlington, Virginia
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that face to face contact is key. If someone is going to Cardiff, then establishing a friendship there will be much easier than just going with e-mails. In Berlin there's Hertha BSC (Bundesliga 1) and then FC Union Berlin (Bundesliga 3). I would obviously prefer a club in the city that I'll be in, but if there's interest elsewhere, I can travel.

12. CrewNoob

CrewNoob Member

May 7, 2008
    Huntington, WV
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I recall, Charleston Battery fans seemed to show interest as well. I believe they even posted on our boards for awhile.

13. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we went w/ BVB, scarf exchange would be pretty simple.
    [​IMG]

14. CrewNoob

CrewNoob Member

May 7, 2008
    Huntington, WV
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It may be corny, but I think we should go solely after teams who have the same colors as us. I dunno, maybe that's dumb.

15. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will be working with a soccer team in italy or in ireland for the summer (i cant say the names because i dont have it all completely worked out) and can try to hook us up with whatever team i will be working with.

16. TheUltra

TheUltra Member

Mar 23, 2008
    2.4 Miles from home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that'd be brilliant someones gonna have to hook you up with a bunch of scarfs.

17. Wearethecrew1

Wearethecrew1 Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Athens/Westerville
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    slow down ultra idk yet if I am going to Cardiff. I want to but nothing is for sure yet. They are a Championship team who are currently in the top half so they may be a premiership team when I am over there, so they wouldnt exactly be a low level team. If the job you are signing me up includes going to football matches in Wales, drinking at a team pub and possibly listening to a lot of Oasis at said pub, I want to know one thing: Where do I sign up?:p

seriously If I do the Wales thing, if people could give me some scarves and shit to swap, Ill see what I could do.

18. mr prolific

mr prolific Member

Jan 30, 2008
    SLC
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FCB scarves?

19. bobbybhoy1

bobbybhoy1 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    in a State of Grace
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    [​IMG]

20. Wearethecrew1

Wearethecrew1 Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Athens/Westerville
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WTF do u think asshole? Columbus Crew scarves you dick. Fook off back to the land of 1000 wives

21. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Ummm...I'm pretty sure you are publicly welshing on a bet.
    <see pic above on how to welsh properly>:D