Supplemental Draft

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by pate, Jan 24, 2008.

1. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, it's not nearly as sexy as the SuperDraft, but who do you think we should be/could be looking at on the Supplemental Draft?

FCTP has their mock draft here:
    http://collegetopros.blogspot.com/2008/01/2008-supplemental-draft-preview.html

I wonder if there's any value in looking Hugh Van Wagenen, a Defender from BYU. He earned PDL All-Conference honors for 2007, earning team of the week honors twice -- 16 GP, 1440 minutes, 1 assist.

Some other PDL Defenders earning All-Conference honors:
    • Luke Sassano -- San Jose Frogs (team-mate of Rob Valentino, taken in the 1st round by NE)
    • John Gilkerson -- Hampton Roads Piranhas (team-mate of David Horst, and Yomby Williams, taken in the 1st and 2nd rounds, by RSL and KC respectively)
    • Josh Howard -- Kansas City Brass (All-PDL team defender alongside David Horst)
    Yeah, my PDL bias is showing, but I'm sure there are other players that bear watching.

2. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
  3. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    It looks like we took this guy...

2 17Tino NunezCalifornia - Santa BarbaraF

I would venture to say that if our superdraft selections are a longshot to have any impact this season, this guy is probably a longshot even to make the roster. Anybody know anything about him?

4. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't hear anything good:

from http://topdrawersoccer.com/ProPlayerPipeline/?p=192

5. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and the rest of the picks are in ... anyone know anything about them?

round 3
    Real Salt Lake Kevin Reiman M Michigan St.

round 4
    Real Salt Lake Kenny Anaba F Cincinnati

6. Aerick

Aerick New Member

Dec 13, 2006
    Sandy, UT
    I predict that one of these guys will be an MLS starter in 2 years.

Not because I know anything, but because I like to make predictions and see if they turn out true. :D

7. TapocoL

TapocoL Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im quoting this so if you ever reference this post, you can't edit your last line out and make it look like a legitimate predicition. HaHa, evil will win again.

8. Aerick

Aerick New Member

Dec 13, 2006
    Sandy, UT
    Dang! Foiled again! :D

9. GauchoYoungin

GauchoYoungin Member

Nov 18, 2004
    Tino is a solid forward who can have a nice touch from time to time. He wasn't our best forward at UCSB, but he definitely could make things happen. He might be small, but plays with his big body. He lost a lot of weight coming into last season and it improved his speed. When he finds his finishing touch, he is dangerous. Some of his goals were big time, while some of his shots could have been a lot better. I knew that RSL's coach was looking at him and Tennelle, so I think he sees something there. With some good individual coaching of the MLS caliber, I think both those guys could be great players for you.

10. MT323

MT323 New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    NYC'burbs/Cincinnati
    I wish I could provide you all insight about Kenny Anaba, but unfortunately I didn't follow the University of Cincinnati soccer team, so I can't give you a description of what kind of player he is. His statistics are very good for the Big East, but those are only statistics.

Last year Omar Cummings, a forward, was drafted from Cincinnati by Colorado in the third round of the SuperDraft, and I've been pleased when I've seen him play. Granted that it's the third round, hopefully Anaba will do the same for you guys and turn out to be excellent. Best of luck!