SuperLiga?!?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Mike Donovan, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Mike Donovan

Mike Donovan New Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Marlboro
    No Revs? We finish 2nd in the league and we get the snub for the $1m prize?
    Anyone else upset?

2. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    This is old news. It's invitation only for at least the first year. Even if it was performanced based, they would pick the teams and then make the rules. If we had a SSS with grass, we may have had a shot.

What I did't like is how DC is going to this and the CCC and they had a better draft pick than us.

BTW, it appears those teams won't be in the USOC this year. Does that make the USOC "Little Liga"?

I also find it funny how the USOC is run by the USSF, yet their president was instrumental in putting together a tournament that diminished the USOC. Sunil did a heck of a job arranging this with the FMF, but shouldn't someone who should be an advocate for a competing tournament let someone else arrange the superliga for SUM? This is without even mentioning the fact he couldn't have selected the Revs because people could have cried "conflict of interest".

So, essentially, we were the first to be ruled out.

3. REV IT UP

REV IT UP Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jul 12, 2004
    San Francisco
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    apparently Sunil's own son asked him why the Revs aren't in SupeLiga.

No joke, watch the teleconference on MLSnet.com

RRRREV IT UP

4. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Nope, because this tournament was never going to be about fielding the best four MLS clubs, but rather, those teams who'd be the biggest draws for Mexican and hispanic fans.

Quite simply, the Revolution wouldn't satisfy this condition. Since it's pretty clear this is the priority for the event organizers, I'm neither upset nor surprised.

The Magpie

5. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, not many Mexicans in Bermuda.

6. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For this thing to get honest recognition it would be based on merit and not on ethinc demographics. In any case, this is the first year and by invite only. To me, it was a stupid idea. North & Central America have many countries. However, only 2 make up 90%(my guesstimate) of the total population..yet in Europe, all teams no matter how large or small the nation is, is eligible.
    I like Bobby McMahon's take on the championships in this Hemisphere. I'd like it if they did away with CONCACAF and combined it with CONMEBOL and truly had a Championship of the Americas...

7. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time for another "Major League Stooges" banner...sheesh.

8. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    When they made preliminary announcements for the teams to be in this, they tried to justify the selections this way:

DC: Supporters Sheild
    FCD: WC Champs
    CHI: USOC Champs
    LA: USOC runners up

It was laughable that they even tried to justify it. Better yet, how many people are listening, so why bother? It was even funnier seeing how Houston owns the 2006 WC Champion trophy, not FCD. Houston replaced Chicago because they are champions and a AEG team.

I wish more of the media covered soccer so they could call them out on stupid things like that.

9. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    If they ever make superliga selections performanced based, they should run a preseason tournament in a non-MLS warm weather city. Say, the best four teams from the previous year that don't already have bids.

MLS Cup Champ, Supporters Sheild, USOC winner, Prelimaliga winner

10. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS is gonna be in for a world of hurt if that ever happens. The entire allocation business all by itself would get ripped to shreds...but I agree with your statement 100%. Their attempt at justification was/is lame. Magpie said it best, just come out and say we're catering to Latinos and be honest about it. The sad thing is I think a tournament like this played around here could generate some real attention and interest.

11. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I think a home game against America or Chivas would have brought people out. Probably a normal weekend sized crowd for a wednesday game.

They could have played the game against the MLS team in Hartford.

12. DanaRef

DanaRef New Member

Jan 15, 2007
    South America is too far away for realistic competitions between MLS teams and Argentina. Remember Buenos Aires is about 6,000 miles from Chicago. That's a 20 hours in the Air. UEFA has a huge advantage with Champions League as London to Madrid is only 7 hours in the air, and customs is easy because it's all European Union. Logistics make a CONCACAF CONMEBOL relationship very difficult

13. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's probably a two-hour flight from London to Madrid. Maybe to Athens or Istanbul it might be 5 hours, but a Boston-LA flight is longer than almost any single-leg flight in Europe.

14. Sean Donahue

Sean Donahue Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Some people who first broke the news tried to justify it with that, but when did the league ever do that?

15. gotyourback

gotyourback Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Aurora/Arlington
    Who knows. Perhaps this was a furthur condition of MFL teams investing in MLS.

Integrating the recent partnership toward an incentive based tournament pitting cross-successful franchises against each other makes simple sense.

Profiling top talent in newer broadcasting framework and potential sponsorship revenue only makes sense. People have been suggesting a spin-off of a logistically possible Champions League anyway.

Some may look at it like it clashes with CONCACAF; but it may be that CONCACAF teams would opt for qualifying for SuperLiga to further bolster the prize equation. A million is a great start - considering that figure could rise after potential sponsors come aboard.

16. dcochran

dcochran Member+

Feb 17, 1999
    Vero Beach, FL
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No argument that it's a long way, but it's an easy overnight flight. No jet lag with only an hour or two (depending on the city) difference in time. I've done some work in Sao Paulo (caught the occasional game on the side) and much preferred the 8 hour flight to flying to Europe or my two years of commuting between Boston and Seattle.

17. peabrainedidiot

peabrainedidiot New Member

Nov 21, 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    shit, we never should have let abundis go:rolleyes:

18. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are going to Cancun, right?

19. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Yeah, but 12K would be very disappointing for something like this. I'm sure the hopes are for much higher attendance.

What would be the point of that? Then we'd have to pay rent also.

20. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    It's a superfluous game against an MLS opponent. Good way to get a game in another part of New England. If the Revs would lose money, they wouldn't do it.

21. miked9

miked9 Member+

May 4, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe we should try WINNING something next time.

22. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Galaxy finished dead last, didn't hurt them. We did win something, the East...which is more than United can say. OK, they won the Shield but I'd say the ECC at least gets you into the final.

Records have nothing to do with this, like Magpie said this is a ploy to bring in Latinos (until it becomes merit-based next year) and very little else.

23. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    LA's been the ninth best team in MLS two years in a row.

24. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Bingo.

The Magpie

25. miked9

miked9 Member+

May 4, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand how this tournament was organized. But the fact is that MLS isn't going to do us any favors for coming in 2nd place. If we want to become a prominent team in the league we need to start winning trophies and stop whining about DC & LA getting all the breaks.