SuperLiga details to be revealed tomorrow

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by SideshowBob, Mar 12, 2008.

1. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to Goff's blog, details about 2008 SuperLiga will be revealed tomorrow (Thur 3/13) at 3pm ET:

From this, it looks likely that the setup will be identical to 2007, with all the games in the US.

My guess is that the other group will play their group games a day later, so we'd get a full schedule like this:
    Sat 7/12 Group A game #1
    Sun 7/13 Group B game #1
    Tues 7/15 Group A game #2
    Wed 7/26 Group B game #2
    Sat 7/19 Group A game #3
    Sun 7/19 Group B game #3
    Tues 7/29 Semifinal #1
    Wed 7/30 Semifinal #2
    Tues 8/5 or Wed 8/6 Final

Based on previous reports, DC and Houston are in Group A and Chivas USA and New England are in Group B.

2. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    its great when "tomorrow" appears in a thread title. :D

3. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the MLS site.

4. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, kinda silly on my part.

So, the rumors of some of the participants and groups were off... instead of UNAM Pumas, Santos Laguna is participating (oddly, Santos Laguna was the team was was said to have turned down a bid in 2007 and was replaced by Morelia). Also, Pachuca is not in the group with DC and Houston, but in the Chivas/NE group.

I assume that the all Mexican games will be in the US as well, though I surprised that the sites are announced. Last year, they had all the details worked out for an announcement in January.

Also, disappointed with the lack of mention of any English broadcast in the US. I hope that is still a possibility, but not optimistic.

5. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I believe it was Cruz Azul that turned down the invitation for the 2007 Superliga.

It makes sense that Pumas UNAM are not in it, they already complained about the Interliga in January and sent many reserves. More and more Primera Division coaches are tired of having these tournaments interfere with their offseason plans.

6. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are probably right, I'm just going on memory.

7. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    possible double-header at the Coliseum?

8. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Actually it was Cruz Azul who turned down the invite and were replaced by Pachuca.

9. anewsoccerfan

anewsoccerfan Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Group A is tougher.

Nice video up at superliga2008.com​

10. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The X-Games wouldn't be for another 11 days, but I wouldn't think those four teams would need anything bigger than the HDC.

11. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    D.C. United gets to play all 3 tournament games at home?

Nice tournament.

12. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same setup as last year. DCU and Chivas play all group stages at home, NE and Houston host the Mexican squads. Last year, Dallas and Houston hosted all three of their group stage games.

Presumably, the all Mexican games would be hosted at a different site in the US. Chicago, Colorado, and Dallas seem to me to be the most likely choices given the SSS's and the relative size of their Mexican populations. Though the idea mentioned earlier in this thread of a double header in LA of Chivas/NE and Pachuca/Santos sounds possible.

13. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think as many MLS teams will advance, and wouldn't be surprised if only DC or Houston advances. That's a tough f'in group.

14. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I think the fact that the Mexican teams are in pre-season will play a role (especially with 3 games in a week and travel across the country between games) and will help the MLS teams. There certainly didn't seem to be a huge advantage for the Mexican squads last year despite some less than stellar MLS team being involved.

15. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but Group A is going to be a huge GOD. DC and Houston will have played a whole heck of a lot of games by that point with more on the horizon and I wouldn't be surprised to see only one advance (again). Also, this'll be the first time NE has been in a (quasi) meaning tournament in a few years and it'll be interesting to see how they handle it. Do they blow it off, or actually try to win something.

Also be nice in that Atlante and Houston may be facing each other in a rematch of CCC, which would be the 2nd year in a row that's happened for us. Go fig. What are the odds?

16. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, both Houston and DCU advanced last year.

And I don't know if they are really playing that many excess games. Granted, how they do in the CCC will affect that, but they only have a few midweek games before then (they both have 2 Wed MLS games in addition to one Thur/Sat/Sun MLS game each week). Houston has 9 days off before their first SL game and DCU has 13 days off. They should be rested a bit.

I don't see why they wouldn't take it seriously -- it's the only games they are playing between 7/4 and 8/9 (except USOC games, I guess). Why would they not put full effort?

17. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS Rumors swings and misses

Again

18. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Well then it's a good thing they call themselves MLS Rumors instead of MLS Facts. :rolleyes:

19. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They presented it as fact. I'm crazy that way, expecting accuracy from people who puff their chests out about how important they are.

20. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    This is the truth, they scream from the heavens when anything they say is correct, but when it's wrong, it's only a "rumor" site.

21. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    As a DC fan, shouldn't you be use to masturbatory rhetoric?

22. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair point. But I have disdain for much of that crap too.

I hadn't visited jade's little baby in a while, but remembered them saying they had all the details a long time ago so no one needed to check elsewhere.

When I saw Steve's post, I had to confirm. Made me laugh and since they delete anything you try and point out against them from their comments, just thought I'd share the love here. I love schadenfreude.

23. Huwiler's Odoreaters

Apr 10, 2007
    My work here is done.

24. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    wonder if there move the houston match back to houston like last year
    :(

25. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    unlikely. given that the Nationals have their own stadium this year (i think that was the conflict in 2007).