Superleague 05/06 team notes

Discussion in 'Austria & Switzerland' started by PeterBeer, Jul 6, 2005.

1. PeterBeer

PeterBeer Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Stockholm
    Basel- Big losses in Huggel and P. Degen. Will have to keep Yakin, Gimenez and Rossi. Could be a big season for Delgado. Hope Rakitic will get some games. Baykal is also interesting, I have doubts about Berner

Grasshoppers- Latour and Coltorti will get GC back on track. Big losses in Spycher and Lichtstetiner though. R. Schwegler hungry to get back. No big signings but Renggli and Pavlovic will be useful. Hope Leandro get back to old YB form

Zürich- Most interesting team, many young talents. New boy Rafael could be a hit. Von Bergen also very good signing. Lost Gygax

Young Boys- Many new interesting players. Yakin will start over. Also, look out for Pirmin Schwegler. Lost Rochat and Chappi

Thun- Lost many players, still got Milicevic and Deumi in defence though. Good striking pair in Lustrinelli and Gelson

St Gallen- Cerrone and Koubsky best signings. Lost Imhof and Pavlovic

Xamax- Lost 2 of their best players; Von Bergen and M'Futi..They have to keep Mangane. Signed Lombardo

Aarau- Big losses in Varela and Bühler. Will hope Berisha can resurrect his carrier

Yverdon- Quite a young squad. Aguirre must produce for them to have a chance. Good goalie in Gentile. 2 new interesting bolivians with merits from the NT

Schaffhausen- They have kept Senn and Cesar Fernando. Will hope new signing Rama gets back to old form. Lost Dos Santos and Rizzo

2. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great Update. THANKS!

3. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Good Notes.

Basel is still the team to beat, no question about it. After that I see YB, GC, and maybe...maybe FCZ. YB definitely have the advantage with the new stadium and their improved squad. At the bottom it's clearly Yverdon and Schaffhausen. It would be a major surprise to me if either can avoid 9th and 10th in the final standings.

4. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that Yverdon could contend with Aarau for 8th place. Mabye it is just optimism, but I would like to believe so.

5. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't followed the Swiss league in a long time, but I can't help but wonder how the league can be successful with all these "Dorfclubs". Yverdon? Schaffhausen? Thun? Also were any of them first-rate before this decade? I would think the league needs some of the traditional powers, i.e. Luzern, Lausanne, Servette back. Or to a lesser extent Sion and Lugano. And maybe Winterthur, which is after all one of the biggest cities in the country (if I'm not mistaken). Speaking of dorfclubs, whatever happened to Wettingen?

6. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    They went bankrupt in 1993 and are now in the 2. Liga.

I am also worried about too many "Dorfclubs" in the Super League and would really like to see SFC, Sion and Luzern back up.

7. PeterBeer

PeterBeer Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Stockholm
    Couldn't agree with you guys more. But it's always nice to see such a small club as Thun do so well

8. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that's true. Also Aarau, in many ways the "traditional" dorfclub. But one or two (tops) of those is all the SL needs, really. Over the long haul it's better to have the Luzerns, Sions, Servettes, and Lausannes in the fold.

9. Barum

Barum Member

Jun 19, 2005
    Devon, SW England
    Club:
    Exeter City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't agree with general opinion about the 'small' clubs in the Super League.
    My beloved Exeter City were relegated from the English League, and we are now spending our third season in the English Conference.
    We had been mis-managed financially for as long as I can remember, but now are solvent and a 'fan-owned' Club. Exeter has a population of 110,000, and a home crowd of around 3,500 and at many of the Clubs we visit our travelling support outnumber the home fans!!
    However, the Clubs that replace the 'failed' League clubs in England are there on merit - exactly the same as the Super League, surely this is the very essence of football?
    And anyway we are going to be Conference Champions this year and regain our League status!!
    Up the City, Hopp GC !!

10. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Which would make you the 6th largest city in Switzerland. ;)

To me it's not really about big cities (forget Winterthur) - it's about having the best supported clubs in the Super League. Sion for example only has a population of 30K but attracts spectators from the entire region.