Superdraft Thread

Discussion in 'Statistics and Analysis' started by ChrisE, Feb 3, 2004.

1. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Thanks for posting the info, but I'm afraid that I wasn't really able to parse it. at least not on a first pass. I'll be content to see the Excel stuff sometime later.

With nearly ten years of player movement history, we should really put our heads together and think what kinds of interesting things to pull out.

Cheers.

2. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    If anyone wants my full 4 MB file, my email can probably handle sending it. Its a first draft for most teams, CHI & DC have a second draft finished and were double checked using LEXIS. The A-League callups have been the most challenging to keep track of. "future considerations" and "conditional draft picks" have given me some problems. I might be taking a break for a while to work on some NBA info. They're much more transparent and their salary cap rules give more structure and limitations on player movement. Got kind of burned out trying to make sense of MLS contracts! If anyone knows of some good official sources off of LEXIS or web.archive.org that I'm missing, the info would be much appreciated.

Private message me if anyone wants a look at the excel file.

3. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    With Alan Gordon joining the Galaxy soon, 9 of the bottom 16 draftees will be on MLS rosters ... and as recently as last year, some teams weren't even using these picks.

4. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    (chart at bottom)

Well, numerista was right, the 2004 class didn't live up to my lofty expectations, although they didn't do much worse than the classes of 2002 or 2003 rookie seasons, either. This year, we saw 44.2% of all available minutes played by players who have been drafted in one of the last 5 Superdrafts, up from, which is actually slightly down proportionally from last year.

The biggest improvement this year, as has happened every year, was the sophomore class of 2003, which saw a whole bunch of players getting more minutes, with Brian Carroll, Eddie Gaven, Matt Crawford, Jack Jewsbury, and Nate Jaqua seeing the biggest increases.

The slight improvement in the 2002 class was driven almost entirely by 3 developmental players - Marshall Leonard, Chris Leitch, and Davy Arnaud. The only players still on MLS rosters who aren't getting significant minutes from this draft are Jordan Stone, Craig Capano, and Dipsy Selolwane (plus an injured Chris Roner).

The 2001 class, with contracts coming up, has likely peaked. Presumably we'll see a few players (Ryan Nelsen? Ryan Suarez? Duncan Oughton?) looking overseas for a better contract. While there are a few players who might still fill in for these losses, Chris Carrieri, Mark Lisi, Eddie Robinson, Santino Quaranta, (Devin Barclay), this is probably it.

The 2000 class was hit hard by three departures - Carlos Bocanegra, Bobby Convey, and Chivas Martinez, and three injuries to Danny Califf, Rusty Pierce, and Adin Brown. Apart from that, several players had difficulty just keeping their starting jobs - Wes Hart, Stephen Armstrong, Eric Denton, Peter Vagenas, Nick Rimando, Orlando Perez, Ian Russell. With the only clear starters from this group being Nick Garcia, Sasha Victorine, Kerry Zavagnin, and John Wolyniec, I think we can expect more decline next year.

Code:
    Percentage of total minutes played
    		Year				
    		2000	2001	2002	2003	2004
    Class	2000	9.4	10.8	11.4	10.5	6.8
    	2001	0.3	8.2	9.1	10.6	10.9
    	2002	0.0	0.0	6.0	8.4	9.3
    	2003	0.0	0.0	0.0	7.1	10.5
    	2004	0.0	0.0	0.0	0.0	6.5

5. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it possible to look at guys who got more minutes because they improved, or who got more minutes because of thin rosters and national team duty and stuff like that? Might not be easy to do or worthwhile. I just figure there are some times when guys are pressed into service and it doesn't necessarily mean they've gotten better, it's just that MLS rosters are tissue-thin.

6. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Well, I can't think of a systematic way of doing it, unless you've got a suggestion. Someone could go through the lineups game-by-game, but unless you've got a strong prediction, it seems like a lot of work for no distinct reason.

Obviously why various players get minutes is the product of a bunch of factors - was Brian Carroll playing because he improved, or because his coach was willing to give him a chance? Henry Ring got a ton of minutes because Zach Thornton happened to leave. Stephen Herdsman got more minutes just by coming out of retirement. It seems very very rare to me that (without reserve teams) a player wins a spot simply be improvement - some other impetus is almost always needed.

I think the hope is that all of these random events balance out and we get a measure that's approximately equal to ability (plus environmental factors), but my point in doing this is really more to see how MLS is constituted (what parts, how they change, etc.) than to measure individual ability.

7. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Great stuff, Chris ... back in post #10 of this thread, you made a more-or-less principled projection of what 2004 rookie minutes would look like by round. If you get the chance, I'd be very interested in see a comparison between projection and reality.

I also think it's worth resuscitating a point that you made earlier: the class of 2004 was heavily picked over in earlier years. Eight of its juniors (or was it nine?) were drafted in 2003, along with a sophomore (Brad Davis) in 2002 and Convey in 2000. IIRC, if Burciaga and Buddle had followed the college track, they might've been part of this class, too.

Because so many high-profile players left early, it may not be too surprising that the second and third rounds were a little short on depth. What is (pleasantly) surprising is how many diamonds were found in the rough.

8. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Line 1 - projected minutes; line 2- actual minutes; line 3 - projected minutes as a percentage of total projected; line 4- actual minutes as a percentage of total actual; line 5 - % difference

Code:
    	Proj.	Actual	% P.	% A.	Diff.
    1	10903	9829	0.49	0.51	0.02
    2	5542	2865	0.25	0.15	-0.10
    3	3075	338	0.14	0.02	-0.12
    4	1452	2592	0.07	0.13	0.07
    5	834	547	0.04	0.03	-0.01
    6	466	3197	0.02	0.17	0.14
    Tot	22272	19368	1.00	1.00	0.00

Basically, I was way off everywhere. The first round is probably the most consistent, because most of the players are going to stick, and therefore play, and we actually see some relatively large numbers. The last three rounds are crapshoots - but for Jeff Parke, the latter half would have looked a lot more reasonable, but there's nothing you can do.

As for the depth in the second and third rounds, I think you're underrating the overseas attrition effect we saw this year - last year, only one player in the first half of the draft, Dimelon Westfield, chose to look for a job overseas rather than play in MLS. This year, we saw three - Adolfo Gregorio, Jeremiah White, and Olivier Occean, at least one of which (Occean) would have likely played a good deal.

9. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    That's possible, but if you look at the 2001 and 2002 drafts (e.g. post 27 of this thread :)), you won't see much difference. Remember also that teams generally have advance knowledge about who's looking overseas. (Occean is an exception, but as a foreign player is also more likely to play for peanuts in MLS.) If high picks are spent on White and Gregorio, this suggests that good stay-at-home alternatives were unavailable.

Incidentally, even without Parke, round 6 players played 788 minutes, which in absolute terms is far above the 466 expected.

10. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Thought it might be interesting to track the impact of Project-40's and other early entries on future drafts ... for each upcoming year, I list the players who would've entered the draft that year if, instead of joining MLS, they had progressed naturally through college.

Relative to past drafts, the 2005 class is definitely quite heavily affected. Most years, there haven't been 11 P-40's coming into the league.

2005 (11)
    D. Barclay
    R. Clark
    R. Cochrane
    S. Cronin
    C. Dempsey
    J. Gardner
    C. Goodson
    N. Grabavoy
    E. Johnson
    S. Quaranta
    M. Saavedra

2006 (4)
    C. Capano
    J. Mapp
    C. Marshall
    J. Stone

2007 (5)
    A. Alvarez
    E. Gaven
    G. González
    M. Magee
    R. Nuñez

2008 (3)
    F. Adu I
    M. Bradley
    D. Szetela

11. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    What a difference expansion makes. This year:

Starters (7): Brad Guzan, Aaron Lopez, Bobby Boswell, Hunter Freeman, Guy Melamed, Danny O'rourke, Michael Parkhurst

Subs (9): Luke Kreamalmeyer, Knox Cameron, Domenic Mediate, Ryan Kelly, Mubarike Chisoni, Scott Sealy, Chad Barrett, Chris Rolfe, James Riley

Plus MLS debuts for Michael Bradley, David Wagenfuhr, and Clyde Simms.

12. mellon002

mellon002 Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Towson, MD
    You ain't lying. Bobby Boswell had no business being a starter. He looked pretty good yesterday, but Ezra Hendrickson would definately be starting over Boswell if he was still playing with DC.

13. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    An interesting point, mellon - how many of these players were directly impacted by expansion?

Brad Guzan - plays for expansion team
    Aaron Lopez - plays for expansion team
    Bobby Boswell - Ezra Hendrickson
    Hunter Freeman - de la Torre, Jeff Stewart
    Guy Melamed - de la Torre, Jeff Stewart
    Danny O'rourke - nothing
    Michael Parkhurst - Rusty Pierce, (Brian Kamler)
    Luke Kreamalmeyer - plays for expansion team
    Knox Cameron - marginal (Erick Scott)
    Domenic Mediate - nothing
    Ryan Kelly - Nelson Akwari
    Mubarike Chisoni - Arturo Torres
    Scott Sealy - Matt Taylor
    Chris Rolfe - Dipsy Selolwane (trade)
    Chad Barrett - Dipsy Selolwane (trade)
    James Riley - Pierce, Kamler

So, by that count, at least 11 of the 16 rookies who played yesterday benefited from the expansion. If I didn't make my position clear earlier, I think this is great - Bobby Boswell may not have been great on Saturday, but he's likely got a far more productive MLS career ahead of him than EZ does at present, and the same thing goes for most of these players and their respective expansion casualties.

14. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Freeman would start anyways. Maybe not if Crawford was healthy recently. But de la Torre sucks (now in USL) and Stewart is still hurt. One of Rolfe/Barrett probably wouldv'e got minutes. The u20 time away is actually hurting the chances of some guys getting playing time.

It amazes me teas went through 80 draft picks and noone grabs Boswell and now he starts for the defending champs?

I was just about to stop by here and post this (I can never get Excel to paste good here)
    Code:
    Name		       Team	Status	Drafted by:

Round 1
    Besagno, Nikolas	RSL	adidGEN	RSL
    Guzan, Brad		CDC	adidGEN	CDC
    Barrett, Chad		CHI	adidGEN	CHI
    O'Rourke, Danny		SJ	SNR	SJ (f DAL)
    Ihemelu, Ugochukweu	LA	SNR	LA (f SJ)
    Moor, Drew		DAL	adidGEN	DAL (f MET t LA t SJ)
    Freeman, Hunter		COL	adidGEN	COL
    Roberts, Troy		LA	SNR	LA (f CLB)
    Parkhurst, Michael	NE	adidGEN	NE
    Stewart, Jack		CHI	SNR	CHI (f LA)
    Sealy, Scott		KC	SNR/YI	KC
    Ward, Tim		MET	adidGEN	MET (f DC t MET t DAL)

Round 2
    Watson, Jamie		RSL	adidGEN	RSL
    Jimenez,Christian	CDC	adidGEN	CDC
    Enfield, Michael	LA	SNR	LA (f CHI t DAL t KC)
    Pore, Ryan		KC	adidGEN	KC (f DAL t COL)
    Goldthwaite, Kevin	SJ	DEV	SJ
    John, Will		CHI	adidGEN	CHI (f MET)
    Van Sicklen, Nick	DC	SNR	DC (f COL)
    Storey, Marcus		CLB	DEV	CLB (f CLB t COL)
    Riley, James		NE	SNR	NE
    Nolly, Jay		RSL	DEV	RSL (f LA)
    Mediate, Domenic	CLB	DEV	CLB (f KC)
    Sawyer, Christopher	didn't report? (finishing school/?soccer anymore)		KC (f DC)

Round 3
    Corcoran, Chris		MET	DEV	MET (f RSL t CHI t DC)
    Lopez, Aaron		CDC	SNR	CDC
    Marshall, Winston	didn't report? (finishing school/? MLS future-Canadian)		DAL (f CHI)
    Gomez, Chris		DAL	DEV	DAL
    Rolfe, Chris		CHI	DEV	CHI (f SJ t DAL)
    Arbelaez, Victor	CDC	DEV	SJ (f MET)
    Ramirez, Orlando	SJ	DEV	SJ (f COL)
    Klaas, Craig (CJ)	Seattle;USL1(also finishing school UW)		SJ (f CLB)
    Lochead, Tony		trialing Belgium? (? injured now)		NE (f NE t KC t COL)
    Kirk, Quavas		LA	adidGEN	LA
    Segares, Gonzalo	CHI	DEV/YI	CHI (f KC)
    Khumalo, Thabiso (Boyzzz)	Charleston;USL1(? signed, was in CHI camp and cut)		CHI (f DC t KC t COL)

Round 4
    Kreamalmeyer, Luke	RSL	SNR	RSL
    Arias, Estaban		CDC	DEV	CDC
    Deitz, Karim		returned to school (? playing college soccer again, didn't report)		CHI
    Nash, Julian		SJ	DEV	DAL
    Jallow, Antouman	signed in Sweden (was in SJ camp, wouldv'e been signed DEV at least)		SJ (f SJ t COL)
    Twellman, James		SJ	DEV	SJ (f MET)
    Melamed, Guy		COL	SNR/SI	COL
    Cameron, Knox		CLB	DEV	CLB
    Lowery, Amir		COL	DEV	COL (f NE)
    Chisoni, Mubarike	LA	DEV/YI	LA
    Minagawa-Webster, John	KC	DEV	KC
    Merritt, Tim		DC	DEV	DC (f DC t SJ)

current destination for super draft picks. Almost none this year cut from MLS to USL (as opposed to most years). Expanded rosters behind this (a little bit expansion too). Only YI Khumalo came to camp and didn't get offered a MLS deal somewhere as far as I can tell.

15. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    here are the supplemental picks
    Code:
    Rhyne, Steven		cut by RSL, ? drafted Atl, USL1		RSL
    Barragan, Javier	CDC	DEV	CDC
    Cook, Justin		not signed by CHI (in camp)		CHI
    Wilson, Kevin		not signed by DAL & SJ (in camp)		DAL (f DAL t DC)
    Rodriguez, Brett	SJ	DEV	SJ
    Hernandez, Jason	MET	DEV	MET
    Gotsmanov, Sasha	not signed by COL (in camp)		COL
    Oliver, Matt		finishing school		CLB
    Gaudette, Bill		CLB	DEV	CLB (f NE)
    Benditson, Benjamin	LA	DEV	LA
    Ruiz, Edwin		cut by KC (in camp, would be SNR)		KC
    Nickell, Matthew	DC	DEV	DC

Lookingland, Michael	RSL	DEV	RSL
    Matute, Helmis		trialing in Iceland?		CDC
    Mahoney, David		CHI	DEV	CHI
    Thompson, Abe		DAL	DEV	DAL
    Holmes, Jamie		NE	DEV	NE (f SJ)
    Fulton, Robby		SJ	DEV	SJ (f MET)
    McCarthy, Drew		Puerto Rico; USL1 (? never in LA camp)		LA (f COL)
    Vasquez, Eric		CLB	DEV	CLB
    Latham, Ryan		NE	DEV	NE
    Kovar, Matt		not signed (? in camp or not)		LA
    Pitchkolan, Aaron	DAL	DEV	DAL (f KC)
    Cavanagh, Drew		Charleston;USL1 (declined DAL-DEV)		DAL (f DC)

Palmer, Noah		RSL	DEV	RSL
    Munoz, Mike		CDC	DEV	CDC
    Karcz, Chris		not signed by COL (in camp)		CHI
    Schwarze, Chris		cut by DAL (in camp)		DAL
    Merl, Noah		not signed by SJ (was in camp but injured)		SJ
    Hannigan, Pat		not signed (think was in camp?)		MET
    Sepuya, Eugene		COL	DEV/YI	COL
    Kelly, Ryan		CLB	DEV	CLB
    Wilson, Easton		NE	DEV	NE
    Shaw, Ryan		not signed (? in camp or not)		LA
    Lascody, Doug		KC	DEV	KC
    Terris, Andrew		DC	DEV	DC

Knowles, Cameron	RSL	DEV/YI	RSL
    Kennedy, Dan		MET	DEV (at least I think so per MLSNET roster)	CDC
    Donaldson, Hollis Ryan	CHI	DEV	CHI
    Tamporello, Sammy	cut by DAL (in camp)		DAL
    Wondolowski,Chris	SJ	DEV	SJ
    Vazquez, Usiel		signed with Charleston? (was in MET camp)		MET
    Gargan, Dan		COL	DEV	COL
    Lee, Chris		finishing school		CLB
    Larentowicz, Jeff	NE	DEV	NE
    Gallegos, Jeremiah	not signed (? in camp or not)		LA
    Caugherty, Ryan		signed in Denmarks 2nd division (don't think was in camp)		KC
    Kuykendall, Shawn	DC	DEV	DC

16. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    here's the guys in the draft pool, undrafted, that signed with MLS

Boswell, Bobby (DC DEV)
    Dobson, Daniel (KC DEV)
    McGinnis, Pat (KC DEV - unconfirmed, but on MLSNET roster)
    Raybould, Ryan (KC DEV)
    Romaneiro, Marcos (NE DEV/YI)

Terris above was a MLS pool GK last year. Barragan finished school after the 2003 season and I think was in PDL. Eric Vasquez didn't return to school though not finished with 4 years in 2004.

Milton Blanco (Chivas DEV) was in NAIA and didn't go through the draft process.

Will Johnson (CHI DEV/GC) was a discovery out of high school?

Ramon Bailey (MET DEV/GC) also a discovery out of community college

Mario Torres 9Dallas DEV/?dual citizen) was a discovery out of the local Hispanic leagues.

I think that about covers all the amateur players joining MLS so far this year right out of school. I think the # this year is much higher than any previous year.

Kenny Cutler (RSL DEV) was in the 04 draft pool, went undrafted and trained with the Rapids. I think Kevin Novak (RSL DEV) should have been in the 2004 draft pool but was injured (don't think he has pro experience). Josh Elbaum (COL DEV comes out of MISL). Michael Cardenas (COL DEV) played in the Czech Repulbic and USL2. Sergio Flores (RSL DEV) played in South America.

17. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Updating ...

2005 (11)
    D. Barclay
    R. Clark
    R. Cochrane
    S. Cronin
    C. Dempsey
    J. Gardner
    C. Goodson
    N. Grabavoy
    E. Johnson
    S. Quaranta
    M. Saavedra

2006 (8)
    C. Capano
    H. Freeman
    J. Mapp
    D. Moor
    C. Marshall
    M. Parkhurst
    R. Pore
    J. Stone

2007 (15)
    A. Alvarez
    C. Barrett
    E. Gaven
    G. González
    B. Guzan
    P. Ianni
    W. John
    S. Kljestan
    M. Magee
    R. Nuñez
    J. Peterson
    W. Simms
    J. Watson
    J. Zayner
    B. Feilhaber (Europe)

2008 (9)
    F. Adu
    M. Bradley
    C. Jimenez
    K. Kamara
    D. McCarty
    N. Sturgis
    D. Szetela
    T. Ward
    M. Wynne

2009 (2)
    N. Besagno
    L. Nguyen (Europe)

2010 (4?)
    J. Altidore (finishing HS this year?)
    Q. Kirk (stayed in HS through fall, iirc)
    B. Wagner
    P. Zimmerman (Europe)

18. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Above are the 2005 rookies who appeared on opening day. Relative to prior years, the number is unusually high -- In 2004, there were only 2 starters and 4 subs; in 2003, 7 starters and 3 subs; in 2002, 2 starters and 4 subs (names are listed near the start of this thread).

This year, the opening day rookie presence is strong again ... the lingering effect of expansion is probably playing a role, but I suspect that good young talent is a factor, too.

Starters (9): Marvell Wynne, Mehdi Ballouchy, Sacha Kljestan, Kei Kamara, Nathan Sturgis, Brandon Moss, Matt Groenwald, Jonathan Bornstein, Lawson Vaughn

Subs (6): Jason Garey, Calen Carr, Ryan Johnson, Kyle Brown, Drew Helm, Floyd Franks

19. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Opening Day Rookies

Starters/Subs Year STARTER NAMES; Sub Names

3/4 1996 McKEON, RALSTON, SILVERA; Ed.Lewis, D.Gutierrez, Cozier, M.Joseph

3/3 1997 A.LEWIS, PARRA, DUHANEY(?); Jolley, T.Suarez, S.Klein

5/3 1998 CULLEN, KOTSCHAU, J.TORRES, TALLEY, J.KELLER; Mathis, B.Olsen, Franchino

3/3 1999 ROCHA, Jam.CLARK, S.BOWER; Mulrooney, Broome, Aldrich

6/5 2000 SHAK, A.BROWN, R.PIERCE, Jus.EVANS, KEY, DiMARIA; A.Woods, Convey, Kovalenko, Schell, Korol

2/2 2001 CURTIS, HERDSMAN; Buddle, D.Barclay (VACA?)

2/4 2002 JEF.STEWART, S.FORKO; Twellman, K.Gray, Martino, Glinton

7/3 2003 R.CLARK, MAGEE, DUNIVANT, PAUSE, CRAWFORD, LeBLANC, C.SCHMIDT; Jaqua, Noonan, Ralph

2/4 2004 G.SULLIVAN, PARKE; Adu, Dempsey, Jam.Sutton, Gros

7/9 2005 GUZAN, O'ROURKE, H.FREEMAN, PARKHURST, A.LOPEZ, B.BOSWELL, MELAMED; C.Barrett, Sealy, Riley, Mediate, Rolfe, Kreamalmeyer, Cameron, Chisoni, R.Kelly

9/6 2006 WYNNE, BALLOUCHY, KLJESTAN, KAMARA, STURGIS, MOSS, GROENWALD, BORNSTEIN, VAUGHN; Garey, C.Carr, R.Johnson, K.Brown, Helm, Franks

I find it noteworthy that the rookies who were opening day starters didn't pan out as well as the subs. For instance, there have been 8 US cap-winners among opening-day starters, 16 among the subs, plus Kovalenko and Ralph. It appears that a rookie starter is usually a guy a coach needs to use, while a rookie sub is a guy he wants to use.