Super Y?

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by Beau Dure, Jun 28, 2021.

1. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member

Feb 27, 2017
    I would not let the threat of "restricting players to alumni & current players" cause me to put my child in a "not good" (not saying bad) situation. I find it hard to believe that ANY club/team would not even look at other players, and if those players are good enough, ask them to play.

As far as playing time, I do think you need to compare the entire season. If the child plays only 25% in three games, but 75% in three other games, that's still 50% for the season.

Do you (and your son) have a realistic evaluation of his skills? "As high a level as possible" meaning what? Play a higher level but sacrifice playing time or play at the highest level THEY are qualified for?

Based solely on your posts, I'd look for other options to the Super Y.

bigredfutbol and Fuegofan repped this.
  2. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Sometimes going to a lesser team with a better coach and players who may appreciate the effort more is a good thing. It's not always a step back but it provides a completely different experience that can help a player grow - even more then on a better team in some cases.

Bottom line is they have to be happy. Misery at a top team with 25% playing time is not sustainable IMO. You will risk your child leaving the sport altogether.

bigredfutbol and Fuegofan repped this.
  3. CornfieldSoccer

Aug 22, 2013
    Agree wholeheartedly with the "have to be happy" piece, but what makes a kid hit that sweet spot may vary by kid. Going to a lesser team can also be really deflating, even if playing time and and the importance of a player's role in a team go up.

Mine is juggling a little of that right now as finds himself spending part of his time on what amounts to a combined B team for 04s and 05s. Safe to say he'd rather go back to being a full-time A-teamer who plays less than half of the available game minutes (the quality of the practices is higher, expectations are higher, teammates force you to be better at the A level, ...).

Fuegofan and bigredfutbol repped this.
  4. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Sure - this can also be age dependant.