Super League attendance update

Discussion in 'Austria & Switzerland' started by Nico Limmat, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    as of October 30th,

1. Basel - ø 29,907
    2. Grasshoppers - ø 9,238
    3. St. Gallen - ø 8,925
    4. Young Boys - ø 7,900
    5. FC Zurich - ø 7,775
    6. Xamax - ø 7,637
    7. Servette - ø 7,358
    8. Aarau - ø 6,378
    9. Thun - ø 3,975
    10. Wil - ø 3,100

League Average: 9,220

Not bad, not bad at all. Now if we could only get rid of Wil and Thun (and replace 'em with Luzern and Sion).

2. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It remains to be seen if Sion will draw fans. As you mentioned the game was free to attend. Mabye the fans are as fed up with the situiation as we are.

Luzern is currently four points out of a promotional play-off spot. Yverdon is leading the way.

3. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Re: Re: Super League attendance update

Well, Sion traditionally has always drawn well...

...but about the current situation. It seems Constatin has been able to fool the people of Valais yet again. During the court circus, he used Valais' inferiority complex to his advantage to look like the savior that beat the "big, bad, evil" SFL up in Bern.

4. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Now that we're at the winter break, let's look at the attendance numbers after half of the season.

1. Basel - ø 30,007
    2. Grasshoppers - ø 9,529
    3. St. Gallen - ø 9,188
    4. Servette - ø 8,732
    5. Young Boys - ø 8,244
    6. Xamax - ø 7,500
    7. FC Zurich - ø 7,433
    8. Aarau - ø 5,794
    9. Thun - ø 4,409
    10. Wil - ø 3,624

Super League Avg: 9,446

Great numbers (and if we can keep it up, this season will be a new record.) Good to Servette improving (although they haven't hit the 10k mark yet), and I for one am pretty astonished that Grasshoppers is still averaging more than 9.5k despite only being 7th in the league table.

Once the new stadiums are built around the league, I think an average of 12,000 is fairly realistic.

Out of curiosity, does anybody have the Austrian numbers?

5. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Found it. The Austrian Bundesliga has an average of 7,270 so far this season (very good compared to last year).

As for next season, I just read that already 93% percent of Basel fans have renewed their season tickets (out of 25,000). Looks like FCB will once again average 30,000 next year...

6. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is an amazing statistic. Any idea if FC Basel has a cap on their season tickets at 25k?

7. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Yes, their cap is at 25k, but they are thinking of increasing it to 26k. At first I was against the expansion of St. Jakob Park, but with these kind of crowds it might not be a bad idea after all...

8. EnglishHoppersfan

EnglishHoppersfan New Member

Nov 24, 2003
    UK
    Hopefully moving to the new stadium will have the same effect for GC that it has had for B*s*e - despite what that lot think, the Hoppers are still the country's natural born leaders.

9. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New stadiums in Bern, Zurich, and Neuchatel should increase the attendence also. Geneve is actually right about what they averaged in Stade des Charmilles, but in the Stade de GEneve it looks empty. As Servette continues its return to form more fans should come out.

10. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Natural born leaders, I like that. :D

With that said I don't think we'll be able to match Basel's euphoria. 2 football and 2 hockey teams in Zurich just split up the sports fanbase too much. I personally think 15,000+ is a realistic prediction for the new stadium.

Btw Rob, Servette has pretty much doubled their attendance from the Charmilles days. I think they've shown quite an improvement this season, but it would be nice to see 'em break the 10K barrier on a continual basis.

11. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I've found some artist renderings of the proposed Mittelland Park in Aarau.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Look's nice. Let's hope them and St. Gallen finally get their act together and get their stadiums done.

12. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry about the Servette thing. I knew that, but I mixed up the capacity of Charmilles with the attendence.

I was not aware that Aarau was that far along with their stadium.

13. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    They aren't really that far along unfortunatly, but I figured I would post the renderings since we haven't seen 'em.

St. Gallen on the other hand is ready to break ground, but is batteling similar protests as the Zurich stadium.

14. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    And they continue to do so. They drew 6,000 for their 4-0 victory over Vaduz yesterday (so far they've averaged around 7,000). With the addition of Chassot the team seems to finally click. If they continue to play like this they might become a serious contender for promotion by the end of the season.

Now if they could only find new investors and get rid of Constatin.