Super League 05/06 - Highlights & Discussion [R]

Discussion in 'Austria & Switzerland' started by Nico Limmat, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just got through watching the choppy highlights on my parents' lowband connection. This was a major victory for GC, and much needed. The season may have promise after all!

2. Lager Lout

Lager Lout Member

Jun 27, 2005
    Bern
    Club:
    Exeter City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    GC played very well. Young Boys weren't bad, but Tiago looked out of his depth.

I have said before that GC has potential. Let's hope they build from this and go on to better things.

I was disappointed with Stade de Suisse. To me it is identical to St. Jakob Park except fot the colour of the seats. It could have been so much more but looks like its been built from Lego.

Fantastic away support from the GC fans and a great third goal.

Igors Stepsanovs was my Man of the Match.

Bring on the Plock. HOPP GC!

LL

3. DJ SOSNA

DJ SOSNA New Member

Aug 28, 2004
    N 51°32' E 20°02'
    Hmm, I am Polish and let me tell you mate that if GC keep their ofennsive potential on high level they will have no problems with beating Wisla Plock on Thursday. Wisla P. was very poor in defence in their last league game (2-3) and I am afraid that GC' brazilianz & co. will take advantage of it. What about the motivation, injuries etc. in Grashhoppers?! :cool:

4. Bebbifan

Bebbifan New Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Madison, WI
    Thun looks dangerous, despite the 2:2 at FCZ. Once again they scored in the final two minutes. GC is visiting Thun on Sunday. These two teams are currently the Superleague cream of the crop. I'd pick Thun in this one, but the real wildcard is Thun's Wednesday game in Sweden. That could wear them out before the weekend.

5. Godfather1886

Godfather1886 New Member

Jun 4, 2005
    Zurich
    We were very poor in defense too. Until the last match. If we play like in Bern, I think we will win. Everything else would be disappointing. But we don't know much about Wisla and our last UEFA-Cup performances were poor. So you never know.

6. DJ SOSNA

DJ SOSNA New Member

Aug 28, 2004
    N 51°32' E 20°02'
    Wisla Plock have very simple tactic - they will play defensively and try counter-attacks build on their fast striker Ireneusz Jelen. I can tell you mate that everything depends on whether GC manage to score in the 1st half. It will surely be more difficult for the Swiss to score as the time will be passing so the key to success for GC is IMO to attack from the very first minute.

7. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  8. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bring on the Swedes!!!

9. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    August 20
    19:30 Basel ? - ? Aarau
    19:30 Grasshoppers ? - ? St. Gallen
    19:30 Yverdon ? - ? Schaffhausen

August 21
    16:15 Young Boys Bern ? - ? Zurich

Yverdon could get some points from their home clash with FCS. YB needs to bounce back from their terrible defeat vs GCZ.

10. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Round 6 (Continued)

Basel - Aarau 7:2 (1:0)
    17. Gimenez 1:0. 49. Gimenez 2:0. 56. Gimenez 3:0. 64. Giallanza 3:1. 69. Delgado 4:1. 75. Petric 5:1. 76. Bieli 5:2. 79. Sterjovski 6:2. 92. Delgado 7:2.

Yverdon - Schaffhausen 0:1 (0:0)
    48. Todisco 0:1.

Grasshoppers - St. Gallen 3:1 (1:1)
    13. Dos Santos (penalty) 1:0. 23. Callà 1:1. 62. Dos Santos 2:1. 90. Renggli 3:1.

And Andy Egli continues to worry about his job... (FCB is in CL form)

GC recovers from the Thun defeat and is still unbeaten at home since Latour has taken over. In the meantime Yverdon looks like the prime candidate for direct relegation.

11. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Round 6 (final match)

Young Boys - Zürich 3:1 (2:0)
    28. Varela 1:0. 31. Raimondi 2:0. 55. Hakan Yakin 3:0. 72. Rafael 3:1.

YB finally win their first competitive match at the Stade de Suisse.

12. PeterBeer

PeterBeer Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Stockholm
    Nice to see Bern having more to cheer about than "just" Thun

13. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    as a GC fan I'm of course happy to see FCZ go down. OT: is Thun in Canton Berne? I forget. Is it technically the "Berner Oberland"?

14. Barum

Barum Member

Jun 19, 2005
    Devon, SW England
    Club:
    Exeter City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Didn't look to be much of a crowd at the Wankdorf, I assume because it was live on TV.
    Nothing worse than a half empty big stadium. :D :D :D
    Hopp GC
    John

15. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Sure is, it's even on the logo:

[​IMG]
    It was around 12,000+

I still expect YB to finish the season somewhere between 15-20K (depending on success.) I do wonder if Thun is currently taking away the casual fan in Bern (the city.) Tomorrow's match was sold out in mere hours.

16. Bebbifan

Bebbifan New Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Madison, WI
    Thun is only a twenty-minute expressway drive from Bern. The culture is quite distinct, but it's not a big deal to have champions league games in Bern.

17. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I just have the feeling that a lot of the casual football fans in Bern decided to check out the new stadium during the more glamorous Thun CL games. Then again, I would do the same... :D

(I simply can't help but have great sympathy for the current Thun side)

18. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, if you were is Bern, I would rather watch a CL match than a SL match. Not to dismiss YB, but the CL is an event, while the SL will be there the entire season.

I think that your perdiction for YB is correct, somewhere between 12-15k should be just about right. They seem to have a lot of talent, but it will take some time for it all to Gel.

The SL seems to have about 4 or 5 teams that could finally make the title hunt interesting, while alas, poor Yverdon looks to be in a very difficult position only a few weeks into the season.

19. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    And Yverdon has taken action. Coach Radu Nunweiler has been fired.

20. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yverdon hires Roberto Morinini.

21. PeterBeer

PeterBeer Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Stockholm
    Is Gimenez leaving Basel for free?!

22. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This weekends matches:

August 27
    19:30 Basel ? - ? Neuchatel Xamax
    19:30 Thun ? - ? Yverdon
    August 28
    16:00 Aarau ? - ? Grasshoppers
    16:00 Zurich ? - ? Schaffhausen
    16:15 St. Gallen ? - ? Young Boys Bern

I feel bad for Xamax. FCB will not be in a happy mood. Yverdon looks like they will have another bad result. It will be interesting to see what GCZ and FCZ do today, that could have an affect on their league matches. FCSG vs YB should be a good match.

23. Dave141

Dave141 Member

Jun 9, 2003
    Washington, NJ
    Basel bid Giménez goodbye
    Wednesday, 24 August 2005

Swiss champions FC Basel 1893 parted company with Argentinian striker Christian Giménez just hours before their UEFA Champions League third qualifying round second-leg defeat at Werder Bremen.

Refused to travel

Legally, the split between the two parties will take effect once Giménez signs a deal elsewhere, with UEFA Intertoto Cup winners Olympique de Marseille a possible destination. The Swiss club decided to terminate his contract after the 30-year-old refused to travel to Bremen for Wednesday's game, in order to remain eligible for European competition in the event of a transfer.

Four-year stay

Former CA Boca Juniors forward Giménez, who joined Basel from FC Lugano in 2001, was under contract until June 2006 with an option for an additional season, but will now leave after scoring 93 league goals in 123 appearances, winning three Swiss titles. Basel led Bremen 2-1 from the home leg, but lost 3-0 in Germany and now enter the UEFA Cup first round.

24. PeterBeer

PeterBeer Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Stockholm
    If Carignano and Petric continues their bad fitness Basel will need to get a quality replacement

25. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I wish that selfish bastard all the worst. It's greedy players like him who destroy the beautiful game.

Wouldn't it be funny if Basel draws OM in the Uefa Cup?