Super League 05/06 - Highlights & Discussion [R]

Discussion in 'Austria & Switzerland' started by Nico Limmat, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  2. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Grasshoppers - Aarau 0:0
    St. Gallen - Schaffhausen 3:0
    Thun - Xamax 3:0
    Yverdon - Young Boys 1:3

Yverdon gets relegated (sorry Rob) and Xamax has to play Sion in the pro/rel playoff.

3. Barum

Barum Member

Jun 19, 2005
    Devon, SW England
    Club:
    Exeter City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It appears the Swiss FA (and Police) are 20 years behind England with their crowd control.So what will happen now to FCB? Over here Clubs are held responsible for their fans behaviour inside their own ground,is it the same in CH?
    I believe there is even a sanction for points deduction here, and certainly the FA have the power to force Clubs to play ' behind closed doors'. FCB 'fans' are a disgrace to both the Super League and their country, and, as posted above, how the hell is CH going to cope with the influx of travelling fans in Euro 2008 if they can't control a few hundred FCB fans?

4. magicgam1

magicgam1 Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Lausanne
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    congrats to FCZ, although as a neutral swiss fan, I'm concerned about the uefa coefficient...

Basel would have been seeded for the first time in the CL qualifiers. Now they have to enter the first Qualifying round of the UEFA cup:eek:

5. Godfather1886

Godfather1886 New Member

Jun 4, 2005
    Zurich
    Most frustrating season ever.

On the other side they collected so many points in UEFA cup this year. Why not again? But actually I don't know. They would probably lose against FH Hafnarfjardar in the 94th minute. :rolleyes: :D

6. magicgam1

magicgam1 Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Lausanne
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Basel yes, but I'm not sure if Zurich is going to be seeded in the 2nd CL qualifying round of the champions league. So if Zurich looses in that round, they would not even go to the UEFA cup...

But it looks like Zurich is just seeded in the 2nd qualifying round, so they will have good chances to go to the third round. Hope Margairaz is staying and hope they do not let go Rafael

7. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yverdon did not get a point in their last 10 matches I think. That makes it really hard to stay in the SL.

Nice job YB and FCZ. Congrats to FCZ.

8. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    There should be some kind of sanction. The SFL is currently awaiting the disciplinary report.

Anyway, to the (last) highlights...

Round 36 Match Highlights (RM)
    Having a competitive championship is the most important in my opinion.

9. Lager Lout

Lager Lout Member

Jun 27, 2005
    Bern
    Club:
    Exeter City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I wonder what SFL/SFA we will see.

Looking at Basel's history at places such as Zürich, Thun and St Gallen, I expect to see them let off like they normally are (which would be very hypocritical after the SFA's complaints about events in Turkey).

On the otherhand, the SFA could (at long last) come down hard on Basel - stranger things have happened.

Personally, I think the SFA should make Basel play all there home games during the 1st phase of next season in an empty St. Jakob. The club will lose a lot of money, the 'fans' will have a lot of time to consider the error of their ways and opposition players will not feel so intimidated and more than likely pick up a win or two.

LL

10. magicgam1

magicgam1 Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Lausanne
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    by the way, Aarau won the fairplay trophy - so they could get a UEFA cup spot

11. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    The best thing about FCZ's 10th championship (next to breaking Basel's 59 game unbeaten streak at St. Jakob) is the joy of Sven Hotz. He might support our city rivals, but I truly respect the guy. He had to wait very long for this...

12. magicgam1

magicgam1 Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Lausanne
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    yes, Sven Hotz has invested a lost in FC Zürich. I hope he will be there for another few years

tomorrow, Sion takes on Xamax. I'd prefer seing both teams in the superleague, but next season there can be only one...

Xamax is about to get the new stadium and on long term they deserve to be in the Superleague. Their main problem is that except Facchinetti nobody has really wanted to invest in the team in the region. Xamax needs to calculate very well with the budget in the next few years.

Sion and Constatin have the new stadium in Martigny not ready yet. Would they really play the Superleague season in the stade de Genève? The Servette fans don't really want to see them playing in their stadium...:rolleyes: I hope they are going to win some points in the UEFA cup, tough

13. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Playoff, First Leg: Sion - Xamax 0:0

I'm definitely with Xamax. To hell with Constantin...

Match Highlights

14. fodbold20

fodbold20 New Member

May 19, 2006
    Sorry I know this is off topic, and I'm sure has been discussed before but I was wondering if anyone knew how the second highest division in Switzerland compares to other second highest leagues around Europe.
    Does Basel have many teams in the area?
    It looks like I am moving there soon and I was wondering if there are many teams in the area besides FC Basel?
    Also, are there non-EU rescrictions for players?

Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

15. PeterBeer

PeterBeer Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Stockholm
    I think you could compare our second highest division (Challenge League) to the dutch or something like that. Definetly better than the swedish. Also, in the past few years many Super League teams have been kicked out due to economic problems. I think this has raised the standard along with the 10-team system in the Super League.

Concordia Basel is in the Challenge League. Other than them there are only amateur clubs in Basel. But Switzerland is so small you know. Going to places like Neuchatel, Luzern, Aarau, Zürich and Bern will take you less than an hour.

The EU-restrictions are maximum 5 non-EU players per club, in the Super League. Don't know what the rules in the Challenge League are

16. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    You can actually have up to seven, but only five are allowed to play at the same time.

17. fodbold20

fodbold20 New Member

May 19, 2006
    Thanks guys for the help. So would the challenge league compare to something like the second division in England and the Regionalliga in Germany? What is the overall style in Switzerland? Do they tend to play more technical or try to play more physical?
    Does anyone else know the EU rescrictions for the challenge league?

Thanks

18. magicgam1

magicgam1 Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Lausanne
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    the lower the league, the more physical it gets...

no, but in general the french speaking teams try to play more technical. The Swiss german teams play a bit less technical but a bit more physical, but compared with other countries, u can't really call it phyiscal. So, in general I'd say they tend to play more technical and the clubs in Switzerland put quite some value on tactics

19. PeterBeer

PeterBeer Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Stockholm
    Xamax - Sion 0:1 Halftime

Vogt (who else?) scored the goal

20. PeterBeer

PeterBeer Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Stockholm
    Xamax - Sion 0:3 88th minute

38' [0 - 1] Vogt

59' [0 - 2] Vogt

68' [0 - 3] Gaspoz

Congratulations to Sion, finally back where they belong!

21. piltdownman

piltdownman Member

Jun 24, 2005
    vancouver
    This is great

22. Barum

Barum Member

Jun 19, 2005
    Devon, SW England
    Club:
    Exeter City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hello, another one crawling out of the woodwork!!;) Hopp GC

23. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I guess all new stadia are destined for the Challenge League... :rolleyes:

24. PeterBeer

PeterBeer Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Stockholm
    I wonder what Constantin's next statement will be :D

25. piltdownman

piltdownman Member

Jun 24, 2005
    vancouver
    I've been following Sion all year. And thats hard to do from Canada. Its typical though ... my plans to move to the Valais fall apart and within months they win the Cup and get promoted.