Sunsing Status?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by JG_Revs, Oct 24, 2002.

1. JG_Revs

JG_Revs Moderator

Sep 11, 1999
    Boston
    Sunsing

http://www.mlsnet.com/content/01/ne1221sunsing.html

The New England Revolution announced today the loan of forward William Sunsing to Club Sport Herediano of Costa Rica for the 2002 campaign.

Just a random thought, but do we still have any connection with Sunsing? Whereas Wright was sort of a loan/sale to dump him and open up for the dispersal draft, I thought that the Sunsing move was more of a legitimate one-year loan.

Did we quietly unload his contract after he didn't get into the World Cup? Is it possible that we still might have some right to him as a player?

Personally I think he would be a great partner for Twellman up top. They both have a great workrate; they both attract the attention of defenders; Sunsing likes to go at defenders and take the ball into the box, whereas Twellman likes to capitalize in the box. This is of course basing things on the late-2001 Sunsing that was on fire... seeing he made so little an impact with Costa Rica, he may not be very useful anymore. But I am still a little intriugued, I think we could use him if Serna/Chacon do not return.

2. glennmcdonald

glennmcdonald Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Estonia
    After a long, steady career of hating Sunsing and yelling at Clavijo to keep him off the field, I conceded that he'd begun to come through late in 2001. I'd rather see him come back for another chance than Chacon, at this point. If he hasn't relapsed into Evans Wise uselessness, he might be the extra option we need at left mid. Even if he isn't better than Kamler, to start, he'd be better than Griffith off the bench.

3. thurd

thurd New Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Melrose, MA
    isnt he with FC Maldo or something like in Norway? or was that just a rumor or a trial or..?

4. RevsGuy06

RevsGuy06 Member

Feb 5, 2001
    england 2.0
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I am also interested in knowing the deal with Sunsing. I think that he could be very productive under Nicol, and will be less erratic on the pitch. I wouldnt mind at all to have him back on the side.

5. JG_Revs

JG_Revs Moderator

Sep 11, 1999
    Boston
  6. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    still can't pass. Still looks at his feet when he dribbles. Still can't finish a sentence. Thank God he is gone!!
    I rarely use the word "hate" when it comes to soccer- but I just hated his game.

7. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Pro-Sunsing

After witnessing Sunsing's golazo against Dallas, I could never hate the man. There hasn't been a better goal in MLS since. I would love to see him competing for a forward position though I don't think he was ever cut out to be a midfielder.

The issue would be that he would be the fourth SI after Kante, Serna, and Griffiths.

8. thurd

thurd New Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Melrose, MA
    Re: Pro-Sunsing

id take sunsing over griffiths

9. Owlsfan

Owlsfan Member

Jun 22, 2000
    Well, I guess it must be that I'm the odd one out here. I really think Griffiths could be a terrific player with some good coaching (ok, ok, so you could probably say the same about Evans Wise, I know). I think he definitely merits at least another season to see how he does.

Sunsing never really impressed me -there were the occasional flashes, but the real problem was they were too occasional.

10. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    No, there are others who agree.

It's incredibly reactionary to look to dump a minimum salary, national team caliber player at a very young age, who hasn't even had a training camp to learn the system. He has incredible speed and dribbling skills, and has always worked hard for Nicol on the field, whether he's started, platooned or been a late sub.

As for Sunsing, there's no denying that he has some incredible skills. Under Clavijo, he would very gradually learn to fit his game into the team concept, but it would always seem to take all season to get there (at the end of last season, the Williams/Sunsing combination was about the only offense there was). I'd like to see what Nicol could do with him. I suspect that some one-on-one coaching has made a huge difference in the play of Heaps in a short time. Players who can unsettle a defense should not be discarded so quickly.

11. AvidSinger

AvidSinger New Member

Sep 6, 2002
    Massachusetts
    The only thing Griffiths is good for is a late sub in a game the Revs are winning by one goal. With his speed, he is good at breaking up opponent's attacks and screwing up their rhythm, but is good for very little else.

If his shot in the MLS Cup overtime had gone in instead of careening off the bar, it would have been the greatest irony in MLS history.

12. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    That's quite a talent for summarizing a 24 y.o.'s potential after a dozen or so games!

The exalted Galaxy decided Franchino had little potential a few years back. Many thought that Heaps would never be more than a stiff after last year. Ditto Cullen. Rusty Pierce was passed over by every team in the league in the draft. Kante wasn't deemed worthy of a minimum (non-developmental) contract. Etc., etc.

Who's to say a young player can't develop, particularly one with speed that no one on the team can come close to?

13. Owlsfan

Owlsfan Member

Jun 22, 2000
    Griffiths:

I do see alot of promise in him. He can definitely put the fear into opposing teams. That's not of course to say he's going to blossom into the league's best, but as someone else posted, with the salary he's making and his age, I would think he would merit another look -coaching would appear to be key here.

Reading these boards about Griffiths he seems to almost the first one to turn up for people to say he should be dumped, and I'm a bit stumped...... I'm certainly not a soccer expert, but I think he definitely shows promise. It's one of those "are-people-seeing-the-same-thing-as-me" deals.

14. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    Winston looked pretty good his first few games, and that seemed the closest the Revs came all year to a balanced attack, instead of having our players and the opposing defense all list over to Ralston's side. If Nicol thinks that, after a solid offseason playing with the guys, that he can become a soloid contributor, then that would be great. If Serna comes back and plays well, left mid or central mid are probably next in line for places we could improve the most by upgrading. A solid Griffiths means that we have good, relatively young players at every spot on the pitch, and we can draft for potential, getting a player who we expect to be good instead of a lesser player who fills a specific need or can contribute right away.

On the other hand, if Griffiths isn't going to start most of the games and doesn't nail down his position, we don't want another SI sitting on the bench taking up a valuable roster spot. If he's not an SI next year, then by all means bring him back. If he is a SI, that raises the threshold for the level of play that must be expected of him next year.

15. JG_Revs

JG_Revs Moderator

Sep 11, 1999
    Boston
    You do realize he's going to be a Senior International next year? (as would Sunsing)

The argument that he has some potential and could come off the bench in some situations to add a spark doesn't exactly jive for an SI (at least not in the beginning of the season... sometimes a player disappoints and you don't get what you thought you were getting, but you can't go in expecting a bench contribution from an SI).

I'm not saying he's a bad player and I wouldn't be mortified to have him next year, but I'd like to think/hope we can do better (Sunsing would certainly be better, he was a more complete player when he left than Griffiths is now).

16. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    I don't think the "SI" label bears the same weight it used to. This year, you had teams like New England who played most of the season without a SI on the field, while by contrast you had teams like Dallas who played with nary an American citizen on the pitch. Although the SI limit can be a delimiter in certain situation, I don't think it would necessasarily be a big deal for the Revs next year.

Unless some high-quality/low-price (a rare combination) foreign player came along the Revs SIs would be:
    Serna
    Kante
    Griffiths

Just want to reiterate this. If the Revs let Griffiths go, they'll have to find someone to replace him.

17. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    I look at it the other way: If Serna plays at anywhere near his past level, and we want to bring in a SI, then Griffiths is the one to go.

18. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    There's no question Serna and Kante would come before Griffiths. I guess my point is, unless the hypothetical foreign player (SI) prospect is cheap, the issue is moot - the Revs won't be able to afford him (especially if the Moore rumors turn out to be true).

And once again, unless this hypothetical low-priced foreign player (SI) plays left-wing, the Revs still have to go looking for another player to fill this position.

19. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    I believe the Revs got an allocation for Sunsing when he was loaned out, so even if the league retains his rights, NE does not, as they have already been compensated for his loss with Ralston.

20. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    Correct.

Although a) I don't think anyone really expects/wants him back, b) I don't see many teams that would give up an allocation for Sunsing.