News: Sunil Gulati Accepts Full Responsibility, Will Suffer Good Ol' Boy Justice

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Susaeta, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 Susaeta, Oct 13, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    Today in his press conference, Sunil said, “I take full responsibility,” quickly followed by “No, I don’t plan to resign.”

If you have trouble reconciling the two statements, it is because you are a rational person. And because you hate soccer. Because according to Sunil, he is absolutely critical to everything happening in US Soccer. According to him, he simply cannot resign because:

“We’ve got a lot of things on our agenda, including a World Cup bid that is due in the end of March, and a decision in June, and so I don’t plan to do that.”

Of course, the rational people think, "Wait a second. Were you not the leader who failed in your last bid? How important are you.... Really?" Then again, the rational people do not see Sunil's presence and the success of the sport in this country as one and the same thing.

But the emotional people will surely appreciate Gulati's patronizing empathy, "I can understand the frustration of people, sure.”

Actually, they probably will not. Because the only response - rational or emotional - to that patronizing pile of poo is, "F--k you, Sunil."

Sunil Gulati is a non-soccer schmuck who has made a series of objectively stupid soccer decisions. On his watch, US Soccer suffered a series of failures over a number of years. It all culminated in the biggest single failure in modern US Soccer history - failing to qualify for the 2018 World Cup. He is now counting on Good Ol' Boy justice, which reads like this: Scapegoat Bruce Arena, take care of ourselves.

Here are snippets from the Sunil Gulati highlight reel:

1. U17 Soccer Team:
    - Before Sunil, the US U17 team advance past the Round of 16 three times in the previous four tournaments.
    - After Sunil, the U17 team failed to qualify in the 2013, and has never advanced past the round of 16.

2. U20 Soccer Team:
    - This age group has done better
    - Before Sunil, the US U20 team regularly qualified for the U20 WC and reached the knockout stages
    - After Sunil the 2011 U20 team did not qualify for the U20 World Cup
    - The last two U20 teams have reached the QFs

3. Olympics Team:
    - Before Sunil, the US peaked at a 4th place finish in 2000
    - After Sunil, the US team did not qualify for the Olympics in 2 of the last 3 cycles, and has not advanced past the group rounds

This series of failures were leading indicators of the 2018 World Cup disaster. But too often, the coaches who oversaw these failures are not held accountable. Tab Ramos (U23's), Richie Williams (U17's), and John Hackworth (U17's) have all significantly underperformed, but continue to be recycled in US coaching jobs.

Of course, none of this even gets into Gulati's biggest personal failure - the infamous failed 2018/2022 World Cup Bid. Gulati invested millions of dollars and personal capital, and came away with nothing. When the nuclear bombs land, the earth will have cockroaches and Gulati. Both seem to have one exceptional skill - surviving.

Of course, Sunil says today is "not the day" to discuss whether he will run for re-election, which means two things are absolutely true:
    1. Today is the perfect day to discuss whether Sunil should run for re-election, and
    2. He has every intention of running

Sunil hopes that he can offer a quick apology and quietly ride out this wave of frustration. He is counting on a short attention span from the media, a fan base that does not know how to take action, and a Good Ol' Boy network that will back him to get re-elected next year.

I really hope US Soccer and its fans finally say enough is enough, and prove Gulati wrong.

rlrcpa, Jersey1, eainterplay and 21 others repped this.
  2. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He didn't even have the balls or the respect to face the public.

He held a conference call with selected media members and censored those who might ask too hard of a question as as we all know, the entire culture surrounding the establishment is soft and you better fall in line or you'll lose access.

sXeWesley, Statman and Master O repped this.
  3. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I'm happy Arena resigned, because Gulati didn't deserve the opportunity to fire him and count that as a credit in his favor.

sXeWesley, Marko72, TOAzer and 2 others repped this.
  4. pirozhok

pirozhok Member+

United States
    Jul 20, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I loved that cockroaches reference, bo :)

rlrcpa, manq360 and FirstStar repped this.
  5. FLSoccerGran

FLSoccerGran BigSoccer Supporter

Liverpool
    United States
    Feb 2, 2005
    Poinciana, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Epic post!

6. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    rlrcpa, sXeWesley, Namdynamo and 2 others repped this.
  7. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The danger now is that we don't get 2026 precisely because of Gulati.

When FIFA smells that Gulati is in a vulnerable position, they may find it easy to strike a blow against him.

Having failed at everything else, it is only logical that he would fail at the 2026 bid as well.

8. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    I really don't think FIFA has much of a choice, but it's possible.

9. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I just reviewed the situation in my mind and, if I'm not mistaken, it really is the America's turn - especially after Sunil lost the previous "can't lose" bid when, I guess, South Africa won it.

Sunil finally figured out something he could get done. Big whoop.

10. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is absolutely noting positive that Gulati has done soccer-wise.

It's all graft.

He's an embarrassment to players and an icon to the corrupt yes-men like Flynn.

11. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Bring in Clinton, bring in Obama if we need to for that WC 2026 bid. Don't need Gulati.

largegarlic repped this.
  12. Three and Three

Three and Three Member+

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Gulati doesn't understand that he's not being asked to resign but told to do so. Get on with it, Sunil.

FLSoccerGran and Marius Tresor repped this.
  13. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Waking up every morning and realizing that we won't be in Russia......I just want this arrogant and incompetent p*****ck to go away.

14. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    If Good Ole Boy Carlisle is ripping on him, you know it's an issue. This guy doesn't question ANYTHING wrt US soccer.

I said it before, Roger Goodell and Gulati must be brothers. Both universally hated, both holding to power with seemingly no repercussions to awful performance, both thinking they have "led" the sport's impressive growth, not realizing it would have happened without them.

We know NFL owners prop up Goodell as a shield for themselves.

Who the hell is propping up Gulati? And how can we assist in getting rid of this little arrogant toad?

TOAzer repped this.
  15. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIFA,MLS,,women s soccer want him.
    The moneymen are on the fence.

16. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    It was Qatar 2022.

FLSoccerGran and Excellency repped this.
  17. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get the general frustration with Gulati, but I really hope people arent seriously citing the failure of the US to get the 2022 World Cup as a knock on his resumé. We all know what that was about, and it was not about Gulati.

18. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going all in when the other guy has marked aces is not winning strategy.It is in fact,a losing strategy.
    People who do losing strategies are losers.

19. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Seriously. We know that WC bids aren't really about merit anyhow. Sending a popular former POTUS for a couple photo ops with FIFA brass should seal the deal as long as no other petro-state is dumping money secretly into their bank accounts.

Alternatively, why couldn't Gulati still organize the bid even if he's not USSF president?

20. mitch9881

mitch9881 Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Hoboken, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone have a link to an audio replay of the conference call?

21. Three and Three

Three and Three Member+

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    The resignation would have symbolic resonance. Much like the tenure.

22. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Nope...it was about the green men on Mars.

23. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are just as likely a candidate as Gulati for why the US didnt get the 2022 WC. Maybe they paid the obvious bribes that resulted in Qatar winning the bid. I sure as hell know it wasnt Gulati ... unless of course you are blaming Gulati for NOT doing so. There is lots to put on Sunil without making stupid allegations or insinuations that he is the reason that the US isnt hosting in 2022.

Winoman repped this.
  24. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Wow, this is the kind of editorial post you used to openly ridicule. The USSF has driven you low.

Count me as one of many who can't wait for you to have enough soccer on the pitch to analyze. It's been a long time since any of that seems to have relevance.

This is a relationship, Gulati, USMNT players, organization, framework, MLS, that needs a proper break up.

I am almost be tempted to enter the fray and create a watch dog group partially funded by USSF to oversee operations, audit the books and encourage discussion

25. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    This was pretty good if you are interested in that angle:

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/feat...s-world-cup-failure-anger-us-soccer-changes-0
    "It won’t be easy. Soccer cultures, once established, are for better and worse, hard to overturn. English myopic self-aggrandizement still survives (in self-deprecating form, perhaps, but it survives); Dutch belief in reason and teams built on synthetic chemistry keeps coming up against flesh and blood realities; Germany modernized the machine but still believes in the machine; Argentina still believe in the individual talent who transcends team play with invention (Messi isn’t just a one-off genius, he’s an archetype)."

And the U.S.? I’ve used the Chevalier quote before in thinking about the U.S. It makes me think of the tremendous restlessness that’s discernible in the team’s finer moments. The times when they look most like themselves. When vigor outweighs the risks of losing what careful slowness offers …"

But the Trinidad game saw a tremendous listlessness, not restlessness, that spoke of way more than a hot night, short turnaround, unchanged selection, shot off a post, or any of the circumstantial explanations we might want to turn to. The team (Pulisic apart, ironically) looked like teenagers made to wear ties to church. They looked like failure was a likely destiny, not an unthinkable alternative to it."

And if you are interested in what SUM/MLS is
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soccer_United_Marketing