News: Sundhage stays til 2012

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Dandal, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Dandal

Dandal Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweden
    Club:
    --other--
    Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet tells that Pia Sundhage has been asked and accepted to stay as USWNT head coach over the 2012 London Olympics. Sunil Gulati says to the paper that ussoccer had initially planned to make a review of the performance before deciding on Sundhage's future, but "We made up our minds already before the prize ceremony".

Fun fact: Gulati popped the question during the gold medal party last night, on his knees.

Source (some partypics included)

2. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great news - well-deserved!

3. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent.

eta: now why wouldn't google translate that page...

4. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pia towers over the evil dwarf to begin with. That must have been a really funny sight. :)

Congrats to Pia. She is a coach who gets the most out of her players and the players want to give more to play for her.

5. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Copy the text into google translate. The sportbladet website restricts remote access.

I wonder what song Pia sang. I hope, "It's only just begun." ;)

6. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought of that after I'd posted. Thanks, though.

I'm glad to get the report from sportbladet but I'd love it if we could get some American news reports (or even just pics from stalkers) about the after party. I haven't seen other reports of Sunil's proposal. Surely sportbladet wasn't the only one to ask him questions about it.

7. Odyssey9698

Odyssey9698 New Member

Aug 22, 2008
    On the "source", keep scrolling down until you see TV: Pia..... You can see the "proposal." He's actually very funny. Pia seems quite shocked and pleased.

8. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Link to the video-recorded "event", song and all ("You are my sunshine..."):

http://www.aftonbladet.se/webbtv/sport/os2008/article3156133.ab

9. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007
  10. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Yes, her singing's pretty awful, isn't it?

:D

11. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The NY Times quotes Gulati as ..."After every Olympics we hold a major review. That review is now over".

12. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for catching that.

13. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007

**calls out** "Can i get a troll trap over hear on thread number 10" ;)

14. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the tip. I missed it, too. While you could hear what Sunil said, they voiced over Rampone's speech. Anyone catch what she said? Lots of happy people and lots of frothy adult beverages :D

15. MyInnerJock

MyInnerJock New Member

Aug 5, 2008
    LA's sandbox
    I love the fact that these players love playing for Pia. What other team at this level you can say their coach has that effect on his/her players? Not only does she bring the european tactical game (which we still have major tweaking to do) but she brings passion into the team who use to play soley for past generations. Hopefully this is a sign that the future players will be given a chance to explore their creative game as opposed to grooming them into strictly fit athletes.

16. Plxix

Plxix BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 13, 2006
    Right on.

Now we just need a male version for the USMNT.

17. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Well, Sven-Göran Eriksson tend to have the same effect on his players but unlike Pia who's only passion is Soccer he has two passions, soccer and women (in that order).

18. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    OK, so you like a musical challenge? Here's your beloved national team coach featuring in a particularly scary episode in Swedish musical history: the Swedish women's team's "Vi är tjejer, vi är bäst" ("We are girls, we're the best") from 1987.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Cte78J0ayE

19. dianamo-superstriker

Sep 30, 2007
    California
    which one is Pia? the first one on the right side???

thanks for the find... scary??? nah!!! funny :)

20. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Yes, a little rounder, but with pretty much the same haircut. 20 years later.

21. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    great video.

i hope they gave her a raise.

it's an illusion that pia is unique in terms of coaches that national team players love to play for. there are many other coaches who their players love to play for. but they didn't win a gold medal. closeness, love, and camaraderie always get heightened when the team is winning. i really don't care whether the team "loves" the coach or not. as long as they can be coached into a winning team.

one can also predict with some degree of certainty that the lovy dovy feelings can disappear very quickly if adversity sets in, and as most coaches have to be, she is fired. its just the natural cycle of the coaching wheel.

??????

i'm beginning to think that regardless of who the coach is, we'll always be the german team of the new world. incredibly fit and well organized athletes who never have the best skills but who win because they defend, they never say die and they always find a way to get the ball in the back of the net.

that's what the win over brazil seemed to confirm in my mind. it's just a feeling.

22. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amen to that, plus a little Yankee ingenuity thrown in to make us even better.:)

23. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Well there goes the myth about Swedish women being hot :D

24. noorwell

noorwell Member

Sep 15, 2003
    brooklyn,ny
    Actually you know your Soccer... every word you stated I have made a few months ago and was insulted very meanly/ check all postes by Noorwell for prove...

25. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Hey, it was the 80s! Nobody was "hot" in the 80s. :eek: