Sundhage Agrees to Coach Kolbotn

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by nordby1, Nov 3, 2003.

1. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    The Norwegian website "toppserien.com" is reporting today that the former coach of the Boston Breakers, Pia Sundhage, has agreed to take the job as the head coach of Kolbotn next season. One of the players that Kolbotn wants to sign next season is the WUSA's all-time leading scorer, Dagny Mellgren, who played for Sundhage in Boston last season. Mellgren has called Sundhage the best coach she has ever played for.

Sundhage til Kolbotn

2. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Does the Norway soccer season around the same time as the WUSA or does it just overlap it a smidge?

I wonder if this is a bad sign for the WUSA? Maybe Pia knows something us common folks don't.
    :(

3. Woody-99

Woody-99 Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Germany
    In Norway, the season usually starts at the end of april and runs till the end of october. The same as in Sweden.

4. Dandal

Dandal Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweden
    Club:
    --other--
    Congratulations to Kolbotn! There was talk about Umeå IK's Richard Holmlund going to Kolbotn when he last week announced that he was leaving his club after five years. But even if Holmlund has been successfull (3 swedish championships, 3 swedish cups and 1 UEFA Women's Cup) I think Sundhage is the better choice.

5. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    No Offers From Sweden

I was surprised to find out today that Umeå IK and all of the other top Swedish clubs didn't show any interest in signing Sundhage. :confused:

Here's the link to the article that was posted at the "toppserien.com" site today:

No Offers From Sweden

6. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Dagny Tempted By Kolbotn

It looks like Dagny Mellgren is very tempted to sign with Kolbotn now that Pia Sundhage will be taking over as the head coach January 1st.

Mellgren Tempted By Kolbotn

It would be "veldig kult" if someone could post an English summary of this article or at the very least translate "skreddersy et opplegg" for me. I'm especially interested in the comments made about Dagny's boyfriend and am wondering if Kolbotn has offered to help him find a job and relocate with Dagny to the Oslo/Oppegård area (By train Kolbotn is a few minutes north of Oppegård and about 20 minutes south of the main train station in Oslo).

7. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Translation of the above mentioned article:

MELLGREN TEMPTED BY KOLBOTN

The chance of signing Dagny Mellgren increases when Pia Sundhage now is hired as new coach.

Kolbotn is very interested in signing the Norwegian NT striker and now hopes the chances are better with Sundhage already in place. Dagny played for the legendary Swedish player in Boston Breakers this season.

- Pia Sundhage is the best coach I have ever had. I want to play for her again. Her coaching Kolbotn is of course a big plus, but I haven't spoken to anyone there yet, says Dagny mellgren to Toppserien.com.

Kolbotn say they will compile a special schedule for both Dagny and her boyfriend should they choose to come to Oppegård.

- That sounds very good. I hope they contact me soon although I haven't decided anything yet. I'm also in dialog with Klepp and Arna-Bjørnar, she says.

Dagny is home in Ålgård for the time being and did not see the drama in Vestlandshallen yesterday.

- No, I was busy and couldn't be there. But it was great that Klepp survived. I'm happy they avoided relegation, says Mellgren about her old club.

8. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Tusen Takk!

Thanks so much for the complete translation. BTW - the drama mentioned in the article was Klepp coming from two goals behind in the second half to earn a 2-2 draw against Arna-Bjørnar, which saved Klepp from being relegated to the Norwegian first division. Klepp finished tied with Liungen on points, but had a better goal differential.