Sunderland

Discussion in 'Premier League Clubs' started by sterock85, Jun 22, 2007.

1. midknight

midknight New Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    first visit here and i must say i'm disappointed by the sporadicity of the updates. Somehow there was no reference to the Birmingham game and that was more than 2 weeks ago. Hope this helps to change things a bit

Well this is my personal effort to keeping tabs on Sunderland, the Black Cats have generated quite a bit of interest in TNT because of the Trini connection :

http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=29670.msg337837#msg337837

After 5 games its obvious that this seasons going to be a battle for SAFC - the squad has some quality, but its mighty thin. The recent injuries to both Carlos Edwards and Kieran Richardson robbed the team of its most creative elements, but when they're both back (after the international break) I expect things to be a lot better.

I think the games against ManUre and Tottenham showed that if the team has nothing else, they have heart. Heart won't buy you a Premier League title, but it can keep you up.

Right now, the staple guys (Gordon/Nosworthy/Etuhu/Yorke/Macshane/Wallace/Leadbitter/Chopra) need to concentrate on staying fit and roaring ready. If by September, the injured (Jones/Richardson) are back, the new signings (Cole/Harte/Jones) are completely match fit, and integrated, this squad can put up a fight against every team in the league, and confidence will grow with every point.

2. midknight

midknight New Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Well it seems that Carlos onn again off again return is going to be off against Reading. Muscle tear puts his return back to two more weeks.

More good news (sarcasm) Richardson has been diagnosed with a back fracture and will be out for 3 months

3. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nice little win for Sunderland. Nice to see them pull away from the relegation area. I know it is well early days yet but you dont want to get mired down there. Jones looks good. Bit unpolished but looking good.

4. midknight

midknight New Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    dammit a three match winless streak.

The last minute draw with Boro was great but that insipid performance against Blackburn somewhat tempers the brave performance against Arsenal at highbury, because you don't get any points for effort.

What burns me most is the fact that McShane will probably be suspended for 3 games for that red card. The squad isn't deep enough to afford that kind of absence on top of all of the injuries.

The good news is that Kenwyne Jones seems to be developping into a consistent goalscoring threat...

5. midknight

midknight New Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Exactly what I said

Jones scores again and defensive frailities expose us at the back. game would probably have finished differently if Leadbitter's shot hadn't been parried onto the post...

This team is seriously lacking width without its starting wingers. KJ is putting in some serious overtime trying to hold up the ball but he needs more support.

I think Keano needs to go for broke next Saturday against Fulham and start 442

6. Disco Dale

Disco Dale Member

Nov 29, 2005
    N8
    Alan Green of World Service World Football had a long interview with Niall Quinn this week, click here to go to the page, and you can subscribe to the podcast, you also get World Football phone-in and weekly World Service World Football programs, often interesting (although not always), and free....

Cheers (if you get the phone-in from this week, I am the first caller.....)

7. midknight

midknight New Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    i had given up on this thread and just kept following up the club on the soca warriors site. Good to have some company finally lol.

8. Disco Dale

Disco Dale Member

Nov 29, 2005
    N8
    Oh dear, didnt mean to get your hopes up .... but i doubt I will be back often... still, did you enjoy the interview?

9. ad-one

ad-one Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Sunderland, Eng
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    rumour mill.

Lita and Hunt from reading
    Steven Taylor from pompey
    Steve Sidwell from chelsea

10. the fumbler

the fumbler Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Denmark
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Danish medias has Rade Prica (striker) join Sunderland for a fee around £2M.

11. Martininho

Martininho Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully these signings and some players returning to health/form can lift Keano's boys clear of the relegation zone (it's difficult to type with fingers crossed) ;)

12. deadeyedick

deadeyedick New Member

Mar 3, 2008
    london
    hey another Sunderland fan here, 3 points on Sunday???? please :)

13. roykeanes_safc

Jun 26, 2007
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well 3 games to go.

I think the points are already in the bank to be honest but i hope we beat Boro on saturday and preperations can start for next season. Id also like to see Waghorne and Luscombe being given a few games and try to integrate them into the squad for next season for 10 minute cameos.

14. TheBlackCat

TheBlackCat New Member

Mar 9, 2007
    Wonderland
    Well after that shite display against the mags a win against the smoggy's is a must.If we do win and results go our way we'll be ok.
    This season was always going to be about survival and on the plus side it looks like we'll have further dosh to spend if we stay up.
    I reckon we'd need at least 6 quality players for the start of next seaon to avoid this situation this time next year.

Keep the faith lads ;)

15. TheBlackCat

TheBlackCat New Member

Mar 9, 2007
    Wonderland
    Magic!! Were staying up :D Mission accomplished.

Promotion followed by premiership survival.Well done to Roy,Quinny and the lads...damn good show :)

Let the transfer speculation begin.

16. scottk964

scottk964 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 1, 2004
    Winchester, VA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    any word on who's starting in goal against Bolton? Still Gordon?

17. roykeanes_safc

Jun 26, 2007
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, why would it be anyone else?:confused:

18. brianasher

brianasher Member

Sep 22, 2005
    KY