Sunday 16 June 2019

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Stuart95, Jun 16, 2019.

1. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Thus the problem with running afoul of the Texas consumer law. Paying $50 as a deposit toward the tickets offered is fine. Paying the deposit to get tickets then not getting tickets isn't. It's called bait and switch. Austin FC could avoid legal issues by making it clear on their site that they claim to have sold more ticket deposits than the stadium will accommodate so people signing up are unlikely to get seats. They probably shouldn't charge people on the wait list but could get away with it if those people had been told they weren't getting seats, just a spot on the wait list.

2. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    You keep asking all sorts of easily answered questions in front of a bunch of people who don't have an answer for you.

I've edited my post to add contact information readily available on the team website.

Unless, of course, you really don't want to know the answers to your questions, and are more comfortable just casually tossing out vague accusations in and insinuations.

Cheers!

TheJoeGreene and eagercolin repped this.
  3. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    You could always put in a deposit and see if they charge you.

The real bonus is that if you don't get the opportunity to purchase tickets, you'll have legal standing to mount the class action lawsuit to bankrupt the team!

TheJoeGreene and sitruc repped this.
  4. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe you should go back to the website and read the message at the very top? It quite literally says "Reserve your spot in line for Season Ticket Memberships with a refundable $50 deposit". Perhaps they've reworded it since they started accepting deposits, but that seems pretty clear that the deposit is for the spot in line and not for the actual tickets.

TheJoeGreene and sitruc repped this.
  5. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus

I know the answer. PSV is dishonest. But since the general preference in N&A is to give teams the benefit of the doubt, I'm willing to listen to alternative explanations. Telling people what they will get for their money is pretty standard business, not some exceptional feat which should require a call to the proprietors.

6. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus

Ok, fine but their site also says:

"A Membership deposit reserves your place in line to purchase available Memberships with Austin FC for the inaugural season. The sooner you place a deposit the sooner you will be able to select your seat location.

Everyone who places a deposit will receive information regarding the seat selection process as it becomes available. Specific Membership locations are not guaranteed by placing a deposit. The sooner you place a deposit the sooner you will be able to select your seat location."

It sure sounds like they are saying deposits get tickets on a first come, first served basis. They're simultaneously claiming to have taken deposits on more tickets than they have inventory for (a good thing!) but also encouraging people today to buy tickets and saying they'll get seats.

My guess is that the 30K number they claimed is fake and they know it. Thus they continue to sell deposits for memberships without mentioning a wait list.

7. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see where they are guaranteeing tickets in the inaugural season tho.. Yes, they are saying the sooner your get your deposit in, the sooner you'll get to choose your seat location, but that could also mean missing out on the inaugural season, getting on the waiting list, and then getting tickets when they become available at some point after the inaugural season. Yes, they are being intentionally unclear, but they aren't saying when you'll get the tickets, just that it'll happen at some point in time.

8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    A guess. Zero evidence. Come back with some. Trust me, you'll have a receptive audience.

Otherwise it's just more sour grapes which are oddly coming from someone that actually won.

9. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    What waiting list? They don't mention it on the page where people go to pay deposits. They've mentioned it elsewhere and it would make sense to have a waiting list but there's nothing on the actual purchase pages about anyone being put on a waiting list and what happens if they land there.

10. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Yes, it's a (imo reasonable) guess. You are correct there is no more evidence for it than that Austin FC set a deposits sales record or I set a secret power lifting record.

11. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless I missed it, there is also nothing guaranteeing them tickets to the inaugural season. All it says is the sooner you get your deposit in, the sooner you get to pick your seats. That's a true statement whether they get tickets in the inaugural season, or if they have to wait 15 years to get tickets.

12. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless you have actual evidence to support your guess, your just trolling. Drop it.

13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    He'll be back. Too bad we can't block mods outside their moderated forums.

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  14. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Technically they are taking deposits on "memberships" and being a member is required in order to buy season tickets at a later date. But they are sure trying to give the impression that people are buying season tickets.

15. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Hello man from Mars. You've obviously never experienced this thing we have in our society called marketing. You should spend some time reading up on it.

sitruc, JasonMa, TheJoeGreene and 2 others repped this.