"SUNBOWL 2004"

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Jeff L, Nov 21, 2004.

1. Jeff L

Jeff L Member

May 12, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It's getting near to that time of year again as Christmas approaches and a New Year beckons. And, of course, that means "SUNBOWL 2004" in Tampa, Florida. Who is going again this year?
    Haven't heard from "The Claymores" recently, so I don't know if "Mrs. C." is allowing "Mr. C" to travel this year!! (LOL).
    Anyone else heading out that way then give me an early "heads up" on this.
    Otherwise I will look forward to meeting and greeting friends old and new.
    "See you in Tampa!".

2. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeff -

I won't be there this year, as I took the year off to recuperate from knee surgery and for the birth of my daughter (August 20th). I'll be back in full force next year, though.

Will you be going to the USA Cup?

3. Nashvillian

Nashvillian Member

Jul 1, 2004
    Isn't it obvious?
    I emailed this week to offer my services, but I was told they don't need any more referees.

Is it really hard to get in?

4. ussoccr

ussoccr Member

Feb 5, 2003
    I have attended the Sun Bowl twice, and only stopped because my first child was expected and arrived in late December a couple of years ago. I know I made sure my information was in by August (I believe the deadline is September 1). The tournament treats you very well, the level of play is very good, and it's a week in Florida at the end of December. Not only do US referees line up to attend, but many foreign referees (especially Canadian and UK) attend as well. This year I have gotten permission from the Mrs. to resume refereeing during the holiday season, but I am attending the Disney Showcase this year (family is tagging along and we are celebrating the forementioned child's birthday there). It will be my first Disney Showcase, so I can't comment on which is the better experience for the referee, but I would not hesitate to recommend attending the Tampa Sun Bowl Tournament. I had a great experience both times I was there.

5. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The deadline for application to referee used to be July 1. I can't find anything on their website about ref'ing right now.

6. kevbrunton

kevbrunton New Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Edwardsburg, MI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe the tournament wants you to be at least a Grade 7. You also must have a recommendation written by your SRA and included with the application. Some states (most notably mine) places further restrictions -- our SRA will only send state level referees down there. I have been there twice as a parent when my son played, but have been unable to attend as a referee.
    The deadline was changed last year and is now in September.

7. Jeff L

Jeff L Member

May 12, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The grading has also been increased and is Level/Grade 6 and above.

8. Nashvillian

Nashvillian Member

Jul 1, 2004
    Isn't it obvious?
    Wow! Does anyone know what the pay scale is and how much they help with lodging or mileage?

It seems to me that, if you have 286 teams to staff with referees (close to 1,000 games?), you have to be offering a pretty sweet package in order to hold the line at only Grade 6 and above.

9. whitehound

whitehound New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    O'fallon Il
    Not really! Those of us north of the mason dixon line dont really have a whole lot of games going on right now.....Unless you consider indoor.....which I dont! :)

10. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Have fun this year folks. I will miss seeing everyone at check in!

11. ussoccr

ussoccr Member

Feb 5, 2003
    I can't tell you what the current situation is, but in 2000 and 2001 all lodging was included and being from Region II, I received $200 toward travel expenses. I don't remember the specific pay for the games, but it was competitive and you were paid at the field. Mike Mekelberg (the referee coordinator) and the rest of the Sun Bowl crew run a very good tournament from all aspects.

12. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    I believe it's $40/20/20 for each game, or something in that neighborhood.....

13. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lisa's got the pay scale correct and the travel stipend is based on what region you come from. Also, lodging is included.

With paying for meals and other things (we always go to the Bruins/Lightning game that is scheduled in late December--can't this year), most Massachusetts referees that go down there break even or thereabouts. Not really about the money, though. It's a well-run tournament with highly skilled teams (though there's been a drop-off in the last 2 years or so) and they treat the referees well.

14. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. I think maybe the Disney Showcase has siphoned off some of the better teams.

15. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Sun Bowl just can't compete with the allure of Disney. All the regional winners/finalists are heading to Orlando rather than Tampa, now. Still, you have plenty of state champions and it's still a high-level tournament. Most importantly though, from what I've seen and heard, Sun Bowl referees get better treatment (unless staying at Disney World is a big thing for you).

16. Jeff L

Jeff L Member

May 12, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'd second that. I think that the "SunBowl" offers the best treatment and facilities to referees. Certainly much better than the USA Cup.
    As previously stated, the "SunBowl" crew run a good ship. "M.M.", the referee's co-ordinator really takes good care of his refs, and is backed up by Mike, Paul and Don, who all add to making this a good tournament.
    I haven't done Disney, but wouldn't swop over on the basis of how we are looked after. :)

17. ussoccr

ussoccr Member

Feb 5, 2003
    I am attending the Disney event for the first time this year, and as stated previously, I attended the Sun Bowl in 2000 and 2001. I have nothing but positive things to say about the Sun Bowl and how they treat referees.
    I had to take a haitus from the holiday tournaments when my daughter was born in 2002. She is also the main reason I am attending the Disney Showcase this year. Her birthday falls during the event, and there is much more to keep her and her mother occupied while I am at the fields. I'll be happy to compare the two in a post when I return.

18. Nashvillian

Nashvillian Member

Jul 1, 2004
    Isn't it obvious?
    Thanks. That will be interesting.