Summit League considers football; Ramificationsfor OU?

Discussion in 'Detroit' started by SJJ, Jul 13, 2010.

1. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saw that the Summit League, where Oakland U resides, is considering adding football as a league sport.

Just wondering about OU adding gridball. While OU won't ever drop men's or women's soccer, I would guess that the current soccer facility would become a football stadium, by addding stands on that large hill. (Didn't you ever consider it odd, that a huge grass berm seperates the stands from the field?) So soccer would either be played in the same field, or be moved to another field on their site. Also, that field is right off the new-ish parking structure. (The soccer field has moved around that area before.)

There is a debate, on whether the land donation, that created OU, includes a clause that high-contact sports will not be allowed on the campus. Either it was an outright ban, or a ban for 25 years (which would now be expired). The last I heard from OU, they say that no such stipulation exists.

Links (the NCAA article has more info than the Summit article):

Summit League Issues Statements From Annual President's Council Meeting
    06/22/2010
    http://www.thesummitleague.org/View...D=3900&ATCLID=204963195&SPID=1763&SPSID=21713

Summit League considers football
    NCAA
    http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect...+latest+news/Summit+League+considers+football

2. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A) Summit League schools adding football would be economically idiotic, B) Would you have a link to confirm this stipulation thing? I know that OU was originally a campus of MSU, as Lake Superior State was, but I've never heard anything about any ban on football, and C) I can't imagine that finding a new place for a soccer field at OU would be that hard. Any patch of grass big enough would do, just move the bleachers that sit on the berm now and there you go. It's not like thousands of people go to OU soccer games.