Rumor: Summer window trialists/ signings

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by crazyjon85, Jun 14, 2012.

1. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. commercecity

commercecity Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Commerce City, CO
    In the above link, I saw this mentioned:

Jamie Smith, Jaime Castrillon, Edu, Martin Rivero, and Luis Zapata occupy five of the seven available international roster spots. One of the free spots was acquired in the trade with Kimura, and the other became available with the waiving of Henao.

I guess Smith doesn't have his green card yet? If it had been pointed out, sorry I missed it. Didn't this type of thing keep Ballouchy out of Toronto?

3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, that was a different issue, with his visa.

4. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I noticed that too. It actually makes me wonder if his green card was denied or he was informed he would have to wait for some extended amount of time.

Also, Davy Armstrong is being listed as a Defender. I think that is a first, or am I having the opposite problem that I had with Dillon Serna?

5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know Armstrong has practiced some at defender, but he started as more a midfielder.

6. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ricardo clark was let out of his contract by frankfurt today... he is a defensive middy and could take the place of pablo... thoughts

7. railwaystand

railwaystand Member

Jul 13, 2011
    How can a US Green Card issue keep someone out of Canada, you know its a whole different country right?

Green Cards take a long time to process, it is not safe to assume one has been refused or delayed or to start a rumor to that effect, it simply takes a long time.

8. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its part of the very final stage... the rapids tweeted something about him not being able to leave the country until it finished before the Vancouver game

9. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually like him better at CB, like there has been talk. Although I am not sure rapids can afford him, compared to Europe.

10. commercecity

commercecity Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Commerce City, CO
    Currently I do recognize Canada's sovereignty, though the Nickelback situation is increasingly tense.

I've heard there are restrictions on leaving the US during the approval process, maybe that's not true. I do know Ballouchy couldn't go, but it must have been something else, as JasonMa pointed out.

jayd8888 repped this.
  11. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I know from ex-wife and her card. Final stage, you must turn in passport with your Visa stamp while waiting on greencard to be issued. Thus you can't leave USA since you have nothing to get back in with (Visa or Greencard).

12. railwaystand

railwaystand Member

Jul 13, 2011
    If travel is required during the final stage this is covered by a document called Advanced Parole (AP) it is sent to border agents and linked to a document the applicant carries with them. This is cancelled when the GC is approved and issued.

13. COphysicsDave

COphysicsDave Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Centennial State
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't there some allocation order that you have to go through with current/former US internationals? Didn't we already move mountains (ok, molehills) to get Kamani through this process (you know, the guy we never play)?

COMtnGuy repped this.
  14. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No clue how you would get that done because dealing with Homeland Security (where INS falls since 2002) is basically impossible, chekcing on status is almost impossible and seldom accurate. Walk in wait which we tried once was like 5 hours even though we were lined up before doors opened (they fit in around scheduled appointments). You can't scheduled appointments, you get notices in mail of where and when and if you miss them...
    It will be one of the most frustrating experiences in your life. Think Smith is backing this up since they have been talking for like 2 months about him getting greencard but he still doesn't have it.

15. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. railwaystand

railwaystand Member

Jul 13, 2011
    The current processing time for an Adjustment of Status (Green Card) is 4 months from receipt of application.

17. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is just wild wishful thinking on my part-- but I think the Rapids should try to get Brek Shea from Dallas. Brek is clearly upset at Dallas and his career needs a change of venue. He and Oscar probably know each other from Oscar's days at Dallas. Brek's not nearly such a risk to jet off to Europe as he was a year ago.

I'm just spitballin' here. But Shea appears to be a player looking for a new home, and I think the Rapids could do very nicely with a new wide threat. We'd probably have to give up one or two players, money, and maybe an international slot to get him.

Happy to hear why it's not a good idea. The thought just occurred to me yesterday as I was listening to the Extra Time Radio discussion of how Shea is in a rut down in Dallas.

RapidStorm repped this.
  19. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I had this exact thought earlier today. My only concern is, who would we give up for him? Internal strife or not, Dallas knows they could get a lot for him on the transfer market if he gets back to form. Pareja isn't likely to give up any of his underperforming newbies, and Dallas's biggest need right now is at the forward position. I don't want to trade Conor or Omar for him, because Shea's likely to bolt in the next 18 months.

20. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    trade conor or omar.... conor is getting up there and omar needs a change of scenery

jayd8888 repped this.
  21. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    And get, at most, 18 months from Shea? Not worth it. Especially with our current striker depth, that looked so promising on paper, but hasn't played out that well. No reason to fill one hole while opening up another.

22SteveD and Jasonma repped this.
  22. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My thought was immediately, "Would I trade Omar for Shea straight up?" The answer, I would, but Dallas wouldn't do it. I would bet that Dallas would want more than Omar. My only problem with it is that bringing Brek here would stifle Cascio for 18 months which I don't like that idea. I think he is an MLS Lifer and will be a very serviceable player once he matures his game. If he doesn't play much though, he might not reach that level. So then I wonder, would they trade Omar and Cascio for Brek? I wouldn't, but I could see the Rapids doing it and Dallas accepting it.

23. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brek is completely lost right now, we have enough issues without waiting for him to figure things out.

I hope rapids have no interest in him.

Jasonma repped this.
  24. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously guys. If you're going to sit around and do a bunch of drugs, at least invite me along.

Hunt998 and Jasonma repped this.
  25. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    omar and marvell to dallas for brek shea anyone?