Rumor: Summer window trialists/ signings

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by crazyjon85, Jun 14, 2012.

1. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or you move Freeman over to LB and sit Zapata.

I don't think that this guy will be an automatic starter. Just because they might pay 350-400K in transfer doesn't mean the guy won't be making 50-75K and be a backup. If he is getting paid quite a bit more though, then he probably will get on the field pretty quickly.

2. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know, KSE has never been known to throw money away.

3. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see bringing in a quality backup who is younger (although almost 24, which is starting to get out of the "still developing stage") and might challenge for a starting spot in a year or two as throwing money away.

4. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I meant is if KSE is spending that money, he will be a starter very soon. Look at Edu, everyone agrees he should be starting but he is, his salary hit will be less then a fourth of what this guy is projecting to get (xfer fee + salary)

5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://blogs.denverpost.com/rapids/...transfers-including-defender-mor-diouf/23676/

Also more info on Diouf, that the Orlando Pirates and Sundowns of the South African league are also chasing him. So like I said, we'll see if he really wants to make a move abroad or if MLS is just leverage for his move within the league.

6. COYP

COYP Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually think the following quotes were the most interesting from that article. Part of it doesn't make it seem like he is looking for depth. The other part sounds a bit like what a certain former coach may have said.

Still, there are hurdles with both players.
    “They think that the money is here in the states and it’s not,” Pareja said. “At least not here. It’s somewhere else.”
    Pareja added:
    “The guys that come in from abroad, they need to be much better than the ones we have here,” Pareja said. “It’s not easy. Sometimes we think it’s easy, but it’s not easy. Sometimes the guys you think can come in and help, they’re expensive and it’s hard to work the numbers, with the budget, and we’re tight here and there.”

7. Jimmydinho

Jimmydinho Member+

Jul 6, 2007
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suppose this quote from the above article can be read as a baldly honest assesment of soccers weak financial muscle in the eschelons of american sports or as an indictment of KSE's total lack of interest/spending as regards its only MLS holding in comparison to it's more indulged rivals.

tonhtubra and COMtnGuy repped this.
  8. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the Ecuadorean national team
    Who's it gonna be.... personally i hope its the guy in bold... but somehow i doubt it haha

9. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't we only have 1 international slot available? Is Jamie Smith still taking up one?

10. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no he has a green card

11. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last I heard he was close to a green card but no official word that I know of.

So 1 for sure and 2 hopefully

12. 30Something

30Something Member

Jun 3, 2004
    5280 Feet
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the quote was intended to be a response to the transfer fee he current team is trying to get out of MLS/Rapids. Probably thrown out there as a leverage point in the negotiation ("hey guys, you're not gonna hit the jackpot on a transfer fee), as opposed to a slight on KSE paying the player.

Chances are, the MLS offer is already better than what they'll command from the other South African teams.

13. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These quotes do make it sound like Pareja is pretty involved with the transfers. I would think that Bravo would be more of the person that would have this information. It makes the who is responsible for what question more murky.

14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Either that or Bravo is not currently available for comment (possibly travelling at the moment to deal with one of these players?).

15. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess what I am saying is that if Pareja didn't have much of a role he would just say, there are some players we are interested in blah, blah, blah. What he says though makes it sound like he is getting a lot of the info and is very informed, which would only happen if he is playing a significant role in transfers. If Bravo was being a totalitarian he would just tell Pareja, we are working on getting some people, now go coach. I'm just having to adjust my view of how much say Pareja has on transfers at this point.

16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, well, I never assumed that Bravo was being a totalitarian with his roster moves. I figure Papi has a lot of input while the final decision is still Bravo's though. These quotes would be what I expect from the coach, even if he doesn't have the final say.

COMtnGuy and 22SteveD repped this.
  17. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have Silent Bravo to go with Silent Stan now :rolleyes:

18. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because signing another Forward would make sense...

Roster by position (does not include Wallace or Mastroeni who are on IR)

GK - 3 (Ceus, Joyce, Pickens)
    D - 6 (Marshall, Moor, Palguta, Wynne, Freeman, Zapata)
    M - 11 (Larentowicz, Mullan, Smith, Thompson, Nane, Armstrong, Cascio, Castrillon, Rivero, Henao, O'Neill)
    F - 5 (Casey, Cummings, Akpan, Hill, Edu)

I would classify Cascio as a Forward, but he is listed as Midfield. Either way another forward would mean we would have as many or one more forward than Defenders. Maybe we are going to bring back the 2-3-5

20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heh, the issues in Scotland got me to finally dig out my copy of Queen of the South's 75th anniversary history book and read it. Amazing how long that 2-3-5 formation was used.

21. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    We have the personnel and a Scottish coach is available!

And Bombardier v 2.0 is what we need.

22. Big Chil in Denver

Sep 10, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only Ecuadorian player I can come up with that has solidified himself as trusted in both of those positions is Luis Checa. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luis_Checa

Fits the bill better than anyone. Segundo Castillo has played CB before, but more of a makeshift than anything.

25. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice work