Summer Transfers Rumors/Speculation/Signed

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by phoenixhazard, Mar 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, and no. Usually, business is business and personal doesn't enter into it. But, personal decisions do happen. People do get insulted and occasionally make tit-for-tat decisions when the best business decision might be something else. I don't think this is one of those cases. There are few teams that both can afford Ozil and need him. Spurs could use him, but can't afford his wages, nor the transfer given we've spent more than we got for Bale. This will help Arsenal who were definitely destined to not finish top 4 this season. Now they have a chance.

2. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    I think you could make a strong argument for Chelsea’s move for Willian being at least partly out of spite.

BalanceUT and phoenixhazard repped this.
  3. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The arrogance of some of their fans...

4. rbpierce

rbpierce Member

Jul 19, 2008
    los angeles, ca
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    You could make that argument for sure and the personal stuff does get involved, but in my experience, that is a very small part of any of these deals. Most businesses don't make multimillion dollar decisions based on spite (or other similar emotions) no matter what it looks like from the outside.

5. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    Agreed. Chelsea though is just a rich man’s toy, one Roman has shown very little interest in running like a business.

phoenixhazard repped this.
  6. Radu Razvan

Radu Razvan Member+

Mar 1, 2013
    Bucharest, Romania
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
  7. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    Shame the Bale deal allowed Arsenal to sign Özil. Definitely makes top 4 a much more difficult prospect with the other contenders all sporting at least one world class talent that can change the game.

8. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's bizarre given the investment elsewhere in the team, to leave the squad thin at leftback.

10. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    More likely the other way round, the knowledge that Ozil could be sold allowed RM to pay for Bale.

11. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #2486 sendorange, Sep 2, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
    Nahh, given Arse spent most of the summer pursuing Suarez, seems more like this was a bit of opportunism, driven more by Isco playing great for Real and Ancelotti opting to keep Di Maria as backup for Bale, especially as Di Maria also seems a lot more willing to be a squad player than Ozil.

Thankfully seems Arse didn't get in anyone to compete with Giroud, other than Bendtner, also just limited Flamini at dmid and no defensive upgrades. Ozil is going to have to produce something special to make a big difference, especially as Cazorla has been so strong for them in the playmaker role.

The big surprise has to be ManUtd not moving for him, can see from the last two games they would be improved massively by someone in that role. Seems they missed out on Herrera, but have bizarrely signed Coentrão on loan and the inevitable Felliani transfer.

Everton did some great work, getting Mccarthy in, Barry and Lukaku on loan.

12. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Favorite club? a German one..........
    Apr 14, 2010
    in exile-Statute of Limitations yet to expire
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RM loaned Coentrao to ManU so..........I'm sure they were about getting even a bit. All the same, great talent brought in to sort out, looking forward to a day when Spurs can just spit in Madrid's face when they start tapping up these guys.

13. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Seems United may have even screwed that one up.

phoenixhazard and dashiel repped this.
  14. masoccerscout

masoccerscout Member

Nov 5, 2005
    Springfield, MA.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Fryers capable of laying left back? It does seem very strange to let a player go on loan with no Rose backup other than moving Vertonghen over.

15. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    He did in the second leg against Tiblisi.

16. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'm sure those little entitled idiots wanted to hurt spurs as much as possible because how dare anyone stop them from doing whatever they want.

17. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Intriguingly, ManU may not have actually tried for Herrera, or something was seriously amiss. There are rumors that imposters posed as representatives of ManU and talked their way into acting as if negotiating with Athletic Bilboa. LOL! I wonder if FIFA, UEFA, FA and La Liga will allow a late negotiation and transfer given it appears the imposters interfered. http://sports.yahoo.com/news/soccer-bilbaos-herrera-caught-hoax-united-offer-233816855--sow.html

18. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no coentrao for them either, it was left too last minute

19. electrickeeper

electrickeeper The Ginger Pele
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welp, it's been real, kids. Time to look to January.

20. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    you may well be right, there, but i'm not 100% confident.

i know there's a world of difference between the business circles in which i've operated - my dad's prosthetic shop and now running a bookstore - and the lofty financial world in where nine-figure (and more) business transactions occur. but there is a common denominator - people. they're part of every business transaction.

i know when i do business, i want to get the best deals i can, too. but invariably, there's someone on the other side of the equasion and in my experience, it's quite important - especially when their business can/will continue to have influence on your business - that they come away from any transaction feeling that they've gotten value. far too often, in my admittedly meaningless opinion, it seems as though people walk away from daniel levy feeling that they've been screwed. i've said it before and i'll say it again, our dan is brilliant with pounds and pence ... but he's not so good with people. and sometimes there's a price to pay for that.

that's not a condemnation of our chairman, mind. he's done brilliantly for us in myriad ways. but i've also said that you have to take the bad with the good regarding mr levy, and my guess is that, yes, it just might be part of the equasion in this particular episode. that's more a suspicion than an assertion, of course. i certainly don't know.

but i've thought/said such things about him for awhile, now ... and i've never been disavowed of them, that's for sure.

The Double, BalanceUT and soccernutter repped this.
  21. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yes, but you have to believe that Madrid isn't (completely) stupid there's a need to do business AGAIN with other clubs. Spurs have sold Bale and Modric to RM in recent years, why seal that pipe line. It's just business. Apparently, Ozil wasn't happy with what he saw as his role under Ancelotti.

22. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    a perfectly fair point, and i can see where a madridista would certainly hope that to be the case. but in the case of madrid, "it's just business" has never really summed it up for me - at least not since the 'galactico' era, when the club instituted a policy of buying the world's best (or most marketable, anyway) players, regardless of how they fit into the squad.

it's worth considering in all this that the position of mr perez - not unlike his counterparts in barca and elsewere - is not merely a business post, but a political one, as well. he's got to stand for election to hold his seat, doesn't he? sure, he's doing madrid's business, but it's essentially a political position. and again, as discussed during the olympic stadium debacle, business is money, but politics is people. they overlap, for sure; but there's no way (or at least little chance, in my opinion) that madrid's president can afford, politically, to let real madrid be taken advantage of without seeming to do something about it.

you see it in politics all the time - leaders acting against their own interests pursuant to not looking weak. the utter vanity in a policy that says "we're the biggest, and we've got to have all the best players" suggests that madrid is among the clubs least likely to be invulnerable to such eventualities.

phoenixhazard repped this.