News: Summer Transfer Window Thread v2.0

Discussion in 'Everton' started by ark215, Jul 23, 2010.

1. ark215

ark215 Member

Jan 16, 2009
    America
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol They needed to boost their depth cuz they have Europe to look forward to. I can understand his frustrations.

2. StickyToffee

StickyToffee Red Card

Jan 21, 2010
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Everton related.....how?

3. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Yakubu to be sold and Loic Remy to come? hmmm.

4. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry but not on the PROFESSIONAL level. There are no good losses at that level.

Are you telling me that David Moyes, Sir Alex Ferguson, or Arsene Wenger would even consider losing a match as a good thing? How about Jose Mourinho. I couldn't imagine him saying something like that much less admitting to it.

Not. Remotely. Close.

I agree that a loss can motivate players in terms of wanting to do better, not wanting to lose their place in the squad, professional pride, etc... but no manager will ever tell you that a loss is good. None.

5. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I disagree. The chances of going undefeated are slim to none so you are going to lose at some point. There are times where coaches and managers would rather lose than others and it would be considered a "well-timed" loss. Whether that is due to the opponent, time of the season, or just the behavior of the team, these losses exist and managers appreciate them and use them. That loss can be used as a tool to get the most productive training sessions out of a team when they are needed most.

No, a European football manager is never going to say in an interview that a loss was a good thing. It's bad PR. But, in their minds, they like a well-timed loss from time-to-time. I guarantee it.

However, I have heard American sports coaches say that a loss was needed. In fact, Bill Self just said that this last KU Basketball season when they lost right before conference play.

6. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apples to Oranges.

College to Professional.

It's not about going undefeated but if every manager could get his club to do just that, they'd be thrilled.

Sure, they'd like their players to learn from their mistakes that lead to the loss so that they don't repeat them but when you say that a loss is good, you're basically saying that it's "ok to lose."

That works great for kids U10 matches on Saturday mornings but not with professionals.

Also, Bill Self can afford to say that a loss was needed as it really doesn't effect their standings/seedings at the NCAA level.

In the Premier League, every game means something. Whether trying to win the league, qualify for Europe, or keep from being relegated, every point counts.

7. Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew Member+

Mar 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Ok-- what is this blurb referencing from Espn?
    15.03 BST Everton striker is about to move to Blackpool from Everton
    AND
    who is this guy?
    10.39 BST Dutch paper Elf Voetbal says that Everton are in the box seat to sign FC Utrecht midfielder Dries Mertens for £3.2 million, but they could face competition from PSV Eindhoven and Dutch champions Twente Enschede.

8. hehe

hehe New Member

Mar 30, 2006
    vaughn is going on loan to blackpool

9. StickyToffee

StickyToffee Red Card

Jan 21, 2010
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Vaughny is getting sold to Blackpool

10. spider_kin

spider_kin Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 8, 1999
    Iowa
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Either way, it's not funding that 9m quid french striker, or 13m donovan.... can't say i'm too upset by it.

we got a new guy, moyes would just bench him anyway... and then sub him in to a system he is NOT meant for, playing out of position/without the support he is used to... or whatever.

Don't mind me. I'm mopey at the moment. :( and moyes needs a slap upside the head and a "get with it, already. use your whole squad, and some modified tactics already"

11. ark215

ark215 Member

Jan 16, 2009
    America
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'll help fund Izmailov though.

12. ark215

ark215 Member

Jan 16, 2009
    America
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow... Peanut for Crouch?

13. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. hehe

hehe New Member

Mar 30, 2006
    id take that swap. pienaar has too much attitude.

15. StickyToffee

StickyToffee Red Card

Jan 21, 2010
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Be 1 of Moyes worst decisions ever and i would seriously question whether he was the right man for the job. He would weaken us and strengthen 1 of our rivals

16. spider_kin

spider_kin Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 8, 1999
    Iowa
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'd have to agree he's wrong man for job. If we let peanuts go, we need another winger in for him.

however. if peanuts bad attitude towards signing is causing trouble. get him gone now. He is NOT as important as he thinks, sorry. This whole BS fishing for a new club at world cup. he's not loyal to us, and he thinks way too highly of himself. Yes he's important to our club, but no, he is NOT as important (IMO as mikel arteta) Peanut has the same tricks, gets fouled the same way and does not control the midfield. the only time he's really "creative" is when he's got a good midfielder in the middle holding stuff down, and baines right behind him feeding him good balls... without the two, his productivity and creativity go down the drain

just my opinion.

17. StickyToffee

StickyToffee Red Card

Jan 21, 2010
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Perhaps you can find 1 direct quote which suggests the above from the player?

18. spider_kin

spider_kin Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 8, 1999
    Iowa
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    perhaps you can find one from him that says "i love this club and want to say" instead of the "they gotta give me more money" bullshit his veiled recent comments indicated.

If I'm wrong about his loyalty, fine, I'm wrong. but about his importance? no. i'm not. how many times have players heads been turned, they think they are the bee knees and leave for more dosh and eff themselves?

just sayin'.

And in a completely OFF TOPIC post: I'm running in the Susan G. Komen Race for a Cure charity 5k here in NYC on Sept. 12th. If any of you would be inclined to sponsor me, please visit here It's 100% matched by my employer, so anything donated will be that much more. thanks.

wow. i feel like such a shameless hussler... but at least it's for a good cause :)

19. ark215

ark215 Member

Jan 16, 2009
    America
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Btw Yobo is gone.

20. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member