Summer Transfer Window Rumors/Official

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by phoenixhazard, Feb 28, 2014.

1. AudereEstFacere

Aug 11, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wonder if we were in for Abel Hernandez at any point.

2. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nice to know now that Walker just had abdominal surgery so Dier is our only option now for a very long time. Spurs why you so dumb!

3. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    also, i agree about Soldado. I don't get why he isn't playing, he was good in preseason and is probably our best passing forward.

4. SPUR-ious

SPUR-ious Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    He picked up an injury. Don't think it's too big of a deal but it's what kept him out of the last AEL match.

Edit: physioroom.com says it's a neck injury and doesn't have a return date.

5. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he wasn't injured for our first two matches though

6. SPUR-ious

SPUR-ious Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Well, my guess is that Poch favors Ade right now.

7. vasilli07

vasilli07 Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Singapore
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
  8. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds good to me, he's pretty much a scumbag

9. Hauler

Hauler Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jan 20, 2007
    Culver City, LA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why? Did I miss something he said. I do know that he isn't one to hold back on his judgments, but what did he do?

10. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Four starters (including Kane) are U-21, that's nice.

11. alexspepa

alexspepa Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey Hauler what's up - if you are ever back in NC give me a shout.

BAE has been one of my favorite players - and for a couple of years was one of our most consistent defenders and linked up well with Bale going forward; a lot of Bale's great runs started with a pass from Benny.

The main reason a lot of Spurs fans dislike him is due to the Guardian article in 2010 when he admitted that he plays football for the money, it is not his passion. I guess the honesty he expressed did not fit well with folks whose be-all end-all is football. I personally don't get what everyone was upset about - it is a game after all.

Another more valid reason was the twitter he sent out congratulating Anelka on his quinelle - a despicable anti-Semetic gesture. I was very disappointed in his comment, and lost a lot of respect for BAE.

I liked a lot of things about BAE - he would get his hair cut in a Tottenham barbor shop when most players avoid the area except for game day; he used the tube to get around London, etc. ...but he crossed the line with the quinelle thing.

12. Hauler

Hauler Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jan 20, 2007
    Culver City, LA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I knew about the playing for money thing and didn't care as long as he put in a good shift, but I didn't know about the Quinelle thing.

13. songoose

songoose Member

Apr 29, 2007
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I didn't know anything about this whole quenelle scandal from the first time around, so I did some reading on Wikipedia about it... and, not to defend Benny's actions or involvement in this case, but it does seem like there was at one time quite a bit of ignorance and/or confusion about the meaning of the gesture, especially among athletes. In a nutshell, these guys are morons who do things without thinking because it seems cool, which is nothing new. I am not sure that makes them anti-semites. (I do believe that they need to be held to a higher standard because they are in the public eye, so they certainly deserved the punishment they received.)

BUT, if you consider Benny's record of charity work and involvement with the community, that one incident doesn't jive. (Nor does the above comment that he is a "scumbag"). Being a complete knucklehead, on the other hand, fits perfectly.

I dunno, I'm usually pretty cynical about these guys and their off-the field personalities, but in this case I'm not sure the evidence points to total scumbaggery.

BalanceUT repped this.
  14. alexspepa

alexspepa Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hey I agree - just that as a Benny lover I was disaponted in the quenelle tweet. Your post actually makes me feel a bit better - was there ever any resolution to the FA charge regarding that incident?

15. Hauler

Hauler Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jan 20, 2007
    Culver City, LA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...m-technical-director-franco-baldinis-4176427]

Seems pretty valid he didn't have more targets lined up and ready to get signed if we missed out on our number one. I don't think Welbeck would have improved us anymore then we are now, but still Franco hasn't really been getting the kind of players I thought a man in his position would get us more.

Also:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...-after-refusing-deadline-day-move-to-QPR.html

So glad he is staying. Although either he or Townsend is leaving according to the article above and I really hope we keep Lennon.

16. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #691 sendorange, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
    It was a very tough market for strikers to be fair to Baldini, especially as so many clubs were after one, even United with RVP/Rooney/Welbeck/Hernandez on their books at the start of the season still ended up signing Falcao. The only other Premiership club in the top 7 to not sign a senior striker for 10+ million was Man City and they already had Dzeko/Aguero/Jovetic/Negredo and FFP concerns to address so were looking to just move one out.

Hopefully this does mean we can do something in January, it's usually a tougher market than the summer but we should have almost no domestic competition. Jay Rodriguez with only 18 months left on his deal is an obvious target again and should be possible to get, as well as having time now to prove his recovery. Of course today I saw Man City being linked to him :p Huntelaar's contract is up at the end of this season and has been linked again, could be a useful pickup. Apart from that good chance someone has a breakout in one of the other leagues.

17. songoose

songoose Member

Apr 29, 2007
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    It seemed to me like he took the suspension, but I am not positive.

Leaving him out of the squad this year and not selling him seems like bad business, does it not? You're telling me nobody in Europe could use this guy? I'll be honest, I didn't see him play for QPR last year, but I find it hard to believe that somebody wouldn't be willing to spend a couple mil on him.

18. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sorry but ignorance does not excuse disgusting antisemitism and if he was in fact a friend of the guy then he knew EXACTLY what it was and what it meant.

20. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The fact that no club has come in for him speaks for itself, especially as he only has 1 year left on his contract and seems the club was happy to just let him go for free. I understand he was pretty poor at QPR last season in the Championship as well and they've not shown any interest in him.

phoenixhazard repped this.
  21. songoose

songoose Member

Apr 29, 2007
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Fair point.