Summer Transfer Thread Part VII

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Grateful Gooner, Aug 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pires'sBestMate

Pires'sBestMate New Member

Dec 30, 2004
    Glasgow
    I firmly believe we would have had Terry, Gallas, Essien and Wright-Phillips if Abramovich hadn't taken over.

2. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was the easiest CL group I can remember since it went to the current format and he was still responsible for every single goal we gave up in the CL last season...not a strong point for your argument.

I'd say Almunia is a very average keeper; who is a fine backup but would never work as a #1 GK for a club like Arsenal. He's more of a Pompey/Watford/WBA level keeper. He still makes silly mistakes each game even against poor preseason teams. He is fairly good pk/shot stopper but he has trouble with crosses, gives up rebounds too often, doesn't know when to come out for the ball, has a weak punch, doesn't read the game well, and makes frequent positioning errors. His run in the side when Jens got sat down in early 05 was a bit of a disaster and his good performances against lower league sides in the cups and weak CL groups since then sure didn't convince me that he could step in for Jens after this season.

3. Pires'sBestMate

Dec 30, 2004
    Glasgow
    He wasn't responsible for Rosenberg's goal, He was unable to stop the Thun goal at Highbury.

4. mpeabody

mpeabody New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Lexington, KY
  5. RealMadGunner

RealMadGunner Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Cool .. good for him .. hope he still does as good as he did last season. And we need a keeper pretty bad .. but its ok, Wenger will work it out !!

6. fantasyexctasy

fantasyexctasy New Member

Apr 28, 2006
    OC
    Isn't Dida's contract up at the end of this year?

7. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    didas useless
    he flaps at everything now and made loads of mistakes the last 2 years or so

maybe casillas if hes still unhappy, frey or buffon?

supriosed barca diddnt get buffon cus their keeper is pretty average

curtis davies signed a new wba contract and was over priced, wenger may get a loan cb with experience? i dont know

def need a covering cm, i dont rate gilberto in terms of tackling and passing, he loses possession alot and doesnt go all in

zokora wouldve been great

8. mpeabody

mpeabody New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Lexington, KY
    As far as a new GK goes, I'd like us to keep an eye on M. Landreau at PSG.

9. Arsenal_pwns_all

Arsenal_pwns_all New Member

Aug 13, 2004
    Dida's the brazilian version of David James; the mistakes he make sometimes are just not acceptable for a goalkeeper of his level. Lehmann did improve by a lot last season, and I have stopped asking for his blood, but I think he can be replaced.

10. marakana10

marakana10 New Member

May 9, 2005
    Well... the goalkeeper at Lens is a fine suggestion, Itandje... Plus we're linked with him every transfer window..

11. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I've seen him play before in France...but he's looked like crap from what I've seen so far for spurs...bur that might have more to do with Spurs than him.

I think out best bet right now would be M'bami, he'd be relativly cheap, and would come in and do the job when it needs to be done. I don't think he'd really gripe about playing time because...well PSG are shitting up the league.

Oh and I agree Dida has made some shocking mistakes mistakes Almunia wouldn't even make.

12. ports485

ports485 New Member

Mar 22, 2005
    Phoenix, Flagstaff
    Pompey, Watford, and WBA definitely have better keepers than Almunia.

13. 0-Point

0-Point Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Quantum flux
  14. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    Look at this pic guys....

www.as.com

embarassing.

15. Milkman

Milkman New Member

Apr 1, 2005
    Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is JAR married? He's wearing a ring.
    :p
    That photo looks doctored to me... have someone hold the newspaper and then drop JAR's head over the top of the newspaper page... easy peezie.

I also thought the one of him at the computer looks doctored.

But I don't doubt he wants to leave - don't get me wrong about that.

16. Pires'sBestMate

Dec 30, 2004
    Glasgow
    I think the whole Reyes thing is him being fooled again. Most Spaniards see a move to Madrid as a lifelong ambition and the ultimate dream, it's no secret that he is one of those and the Spanish press are taking advantage of him.

What I'm saying is that it is more of a case of the chance of playing for Real that would draw him out of London rather than his desire to get out of Arsenal and quick. He is in no rush to leave in my opinion and if he was so desparate to go he would have handed in a transfer request by now.

For these reasons he is going nowhere soon.

17. Realwood

Realwood Member

Feb 11, 2004
    FC Dallas, Tucson
    He's engaged and it isn't doctored.

The irony is that he is destroying our selling position, which could lead us to not sell at all. I really can't see Dein giving him away and taking a major loss on the deal regardless if he wants to leave or not.

It's going to be interesting how this turns out, if Dein somehow pulls this off, he'd solidify himself as best in the business.

Reyes has been completely unprofessional and is turning his back on all the Gooners that have been supportive of him. I hope he pulls an Anelka. All the warm feelings that I had for him are gone, he is just as bad as Cashley in my book. He could have gone about this with respect for all parties involved. Apparently that is too hard.

18. 0-Point

0-Point Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Quantum flux
    Fair point, Sir. I doubt this saga will drag on beyond this week, after all it's T-minus 4 days before EPL ko.

19. Butragueño

Butragueño Member

Nov 29, 2005
    Madrid

Poor ol' Reyes is a simpleton from Utrera, he means no harm to anyone. What may seem unprofessional and tactless to most people, would seem normal to him. :)

20. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Any news on Gallas' situtation? Is there still a possiblity of him making to the move to Ashburton Grove?

21. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    I completely agree with this. His contract is until 2010 right? If we dont want to sell him, he has a good while with the Arsenal.

22. fede.uy

fede.uy New Member

Jul 8, 2006
    Im sure wenger summer has not been the greatest at all, It all started in a beautiful way Henry new contract and the rosicky signing, after that we have lost pires and sol campbell, and the Reyes , Cashley transfers have been a constant nightmare.

I belive this has taken a lot , especially cashley and reyes , and by the end of the week we need to have a clearer view of our Arsenal 2006-2007

23. Dooglas

Dooglas Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    if you want real news about him check arsenal.com please, he says hes fine here and happy to stay.

24. GreencroftGooner

GreencroftGooner New Member

Aug 12, 2006
    DC
    Another Reyes Story

however these quotes, unless they are just flat out wrong, or weeks and weeks old, seem fairly convincing. IF he does move I only hope it happens quickly.

25. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Thing is if Arsenal doesnt want to sell him, you will have to keep a player who
    1. Admires another Club
    2. Has stated many times that he wants to leave you for another club
    3. Hasnt settled down and cant show what he is made of.

So if u are willing to keep him and pay his wages then be our guests but you might regret it. You dont want to come in a situtation were he doesnt want to play for your club, ofcourse only after you wouldnt sell him.

And i dont know why he wants to join RM. Is he so confident that he will have a starting spot ahead of Robinho, Cassano and Raul, who are all contenders for the Winger spot.

There are some seriouse issues behind his will to join Real Madrid.

Just my 2 cents.