Summer Selling: Moving on to next season... already :|

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by phoenixhazard, Apr 28, 2015.

1. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    if this is true, you can count me as on board, and more than happy to endure the time that it takes for this policy to come good. it's been my single biggest complaint about Levy going back to Jol/Comolli.

two caveats, though.

1) It's mildly disconcerting how utterly similar this window felt to the windows under the 'old' system (if 'system' is the right word) ... but that one's minor, and if someone with genuine insight into the club's operations says that Poch is happy, who am I to say he's not.

2) This one's more of a concern - basically, will Levy really be able to stay the course if results go from bad to worse? they shouldn't, of course; the 3 points we're on are hardly representative of how we've played (we should have more), and even mid-table mediocrity won't force his hand if he's committed. but what if the players buy out? do we have the kind of clubhouse leadership in this young squad to buttress itself against the debilitation that will come with the boos and venom that are, if results continue as they are, sure to come?

it's weird. the quoted sentence above is the best thing I've read about spurs in I don't know how long. but for some reason, reading it has just increased my concerns about where we are in the table five-fold. it's like all of the sudden I realized there's really something here to lose.

*not technically SPURious's quote ... but you know what I mean

BalanceUT and SPUR-ious repped this.
  2. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    When was the last time a team in the Premiere League made the top 4 on the back of a policy of youth? One I don’t see how this is any different to how Spurs have operated over the last decade or so anyway. The primary difference it seems is Levy is no longer going to blow big money on the likes of Rebrov, Lamela and Bent, which I have no complaints.

For argument’s sake though, let’s say Spurs do start building a formidable side based on homegrown talent and securing players who are on the cusp of greatness. How is it going to be any different to when we had Berbatov, Bale, Modric, Carrick, et. al.? While Levy might not be interested in spending silly amounts of money the top 4 and certainly the top 2 in Spain will.

It’s an admirable, if rather familiar sounding goal, it’s also really convenient, not finishing 4th is a very achievable goal. I guess the upside being I now have my expectations properly adjusted for the next few seasons. Top 6, and a good run in a cup competition.

The Double and TFC Ajax repped this.
  3. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    the difference is that all of the primary actors, the chairman, the DoF, and the manager, are on the same page. the problem with Rebrov, Lamela, and Bent (and soooo many others) was never that they weren't good enough footballers, it's that they were not the footballers that the manager wanted. the DoFs wanted talent, the chairman wanted sell-on value, and the managers wanted specific skill sets ... and if those things aren't closely coordinated, they're working at cross purposes. Frankly, t's been a staple of the Levy era.

Let's be clear, though, that there was one point during Levy's tenure that we did have all the components pulling in the same direction. when Frank Arnesen and Martin Jol decided to go with young British talent - Lennon ... Huddlestone ... Routledge ... Reid & Dawson ... Jermaine Jenas*, etc. - we saw a clear, coherent strategy that resuted in a squad that really gelled nicely - and it's the one that really moved us out of the dark ages.

Arnesen getting poached by Chelsea set us back I-don't-know-how-far.

... excuse me ... I've got to run to another thread real quick.

*I think Jenas was one of Arnesen's, though he may have come very shortly after.

4. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That strategy also coincides with it bearing fruit when the new stadium opens and (presumably) increasing revenue streams. I believe signing Son is part of the long term strategy and increasing revenue, also, because of the marketing potential in relatively wealthy S. Korea. 2018 is probably the season we should genuinely begin to see a serious push towards top 4 status and the potential for heads to roll if it doesn't promise a 2019 to remember.

5. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hasn't that been Arsenal's approach over the years?

SPUR-ious and pookspur repped this.
  6. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Yeah, we’ll see. I suspect 5 years from now best case, we’ll be right about where we are now – a Europa League side.

7. SPUR-ious

SPUR-ious Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Valid point that TFC Ajax has also pointed out. Not quite sure how it happens, but other teams have had to deal with the issue as well to some extent (see Arsenal). I guess the way I see it is that Poch & Co. are trying to build a TEAM that hopefully has the "right" pieces in each position and isn't as reliant on a Bale or Modric or Berbs. To me, that's the key. Try to build a lasting foundation (youth, right mix of signings that fit the system, etc.) rather than attempting to make desperation signings each year in hopes that one of the top clubs slip up and we sneak into 4th and get to play CL for one season.

8. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Also I'm not sure how much I trust a policy that is ok starting the season with a single forward, especially when it's a player who's had a less than one productive season at this level. A serious injury or a prolonged slump and a relegation battle isn’t out of the question. No amount of building for the future can excuse not having so much as a backup striker, let alone the ability to change tactics.

9. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Bye Felicia.

11. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I completely get your point, and to envision us as a Europa league team 5 years down the road is completely reasonable. the point, though, is that if the policy is ok starting the season with a single forward (wrong as it seems), then it means that Pochettino is ok with it. And if he is ok with it, it means that 3 months down the road he won't be looking for a way out, as happened with Santini, Ramos*, and AVB, and sending us back to square one.

... though, according to my own musings, I should probably welcome these setbacks, as that's when Levy brings in more practical, 'get on with what we've got' managers. so, in conclusion, don't mind me ... i'm just babbling.

*granted, Ramos didn't have to force his way out ... results meant he could get the sack and the whole contract.

12. leocal11

leocal11 Member+

Feb 7, 2005
    San Francisco
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    THANK GOD!!!!!!!!! FINALLY!!!!!!! GTFO.

13. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I liked Adebayor. Then, I shifted to wondering what was up with him. Then, I became sympathetic because managers didn't seem to trust, know how to use, motivate, etc. Then, suddenly, he became a bit of a head case. Maybe he's always been a head case and I didn't know it. Anyway, good riddance, but I do genuinely hope he finds a place to play where he contributes consistently and he is happy.

soccernutter repped this.
  14. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    i always take my own presumptions about players and their disputes with a grain of salt, but i can't think of a more clear cut situation regarding a player's attitude. when he came out and said that he had told AVB and the entire locker room that he disagreed with the way the manager was doing things, and that it wouldn't work, i really don't know what choice the gaffer has but to isolate him. has Pochettino been too harsh in his treatment of the likes of Kaboul and Lennon? maybe. maybe not. but if he's responded to Poch the same way that he responded to AVB, i have a really difficult time having sympathy for him.

i don't wish him ill, or anything, but i certainly wished him away ... and i'm pleased for today's news.

15. SPUR-ious

SPUR-ious Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Neil Ashton with some info on the Ade buyout. Not pretty.

16. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Wow, what a douche.

Count Chocula repped this.
  17. calmanalysis

calmanalysis Member

Aug 16, 2008
    NYC
    Honestly, I'm not sure he did that much wrong. Responding 'life is good' when asked how he was? Being driven to training in a nice car versus driving himself? Not exactly shaking the foundations is it. Expressed dissatisfaction around the U-21 training regime - but well behaved enough to be considered fulfilling his contract, which must have clauses for non-performance related to being disruptive.

BalanceUT repped this.
  18. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    i'd say there's a slight difference between "telling them that ‘life is good’ whenever he passed them by" and 'responding when asked'. he definitely comes off douchey there, even if you give him the benefit of the doubt.

then again, i was at Grimsby Town friday night with a friend of mine (he's Sheffield Wednesday) whose nephew plays for Town (comped VIP tickets with access to the players' lounge :cool:*). he [the nephew] just moved up from a southern club in the off season, not because he'd not been offered enough or due to dissatisfaction with his team, but because his family was up north and for other personal reasons. there was no bad blood between him and the club on the way out. but no sooner was he out the door, then things began being said about him forcing his way out, etc., that he felt came from the club [for reasons undisclosed], but that were utterly fabricated. it didn't come off as bitter, or anything, but that it's just how it works.

in other words, as we all know, clubs try very carefully to control their images and how they are perceived - particularly by fans. it doesn't take much thought to see the logic in such situations - and definitely in a case like Adebayor's. so i'm inclined (and always have been, but now even more than before) to take almost everything i hear about a moved on player with a grain of salt.

*if you know what Blundell Park is like, you'll know why that's funny.

BalanceUT and Lazy Assed Assassin repped this.
  19. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disagree, according to the article. Ade showed a tremendous amount of hubris. Lennon, even being frozen out, still dealt with his situation as best he could. Ade was trying to make a mockery of it all, suggesting that he was okay with a situation that clearly he was not. At this level, more is expected of players than what Ade showed. His attitude is worthy of the lower leagues, maybe even pub league level.

20. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A conservative paper runs a story that shines a favorable light on an English national and a negative light on a non-English national = question everything in the story.

21. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fully agree, and in the back of my mind there was how Levy treated Ade v. Lennon. But that bit about what Ade said, and that he was unwilling to work with the youth is really what has me. The hateMail can't be wrong 100% of the time.

22. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The club has wisely decided that the day after the Man City result is the best time to announce that Baldini has left his job.

Given how our summer signings have looked very promising, happy to see Paul Mitchell and his team given full reign from now on.

soccernutter and Count Chocula repped this.
  24. Hauler

Hauler Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jan 20, 2007
    Culver City, LA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once Paul came in I knew he would do very well as he set up a very impressive scouting backroom at Soton. He was very organized from what I saw and knows how to evaluate talent. So far he has made some impressive signings. I think all the signings are all good for now.