Summer Selling: Moving on to next season... already :|

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by phoenixhazard, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought moses was a winger?

2. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    And maybe Lamela will be better than Bale and Chadli will be better than Lennon was back then. But somehow I have serious doubts. The only midfielder I see being better is Eriksen could have a better career than VDV did, but how long will he stay at a team that fights for a midtable spot before he gets restless and tries to force a move to a team that competes for domestic championships and at least plays CL? A player like Eriksen didn't go to Spurs because he was a big fan or anything. He went there because it seemed like a club with ambition and a good career step. He was probably likely to move on after a few years, but I can't imagine the lack of ambition in the transfer market is helping keep good players around.

Levy and Poch both seem happy to take the slow approach of adding a piece or two if they're available for the right price. The problem with this approach is that a star player emerges, but there's large holes in the team, and by the time a good player is finally found to fill a hole, the star player has moved on to a team that actually competes for silverware. This team has struggled to find even a poor-man's Modric, and now there isn't even a poor-man's Sandro to provide some cover for the defense.

It's funny. In previous summers, Spurs would target a bunch of quality players, wait too long, someone else would sign them and spurs would sign some random player from Fulham or France instead. This year, they tried to get Schneiderlin, and when that failed put in some half-assed bids for players that were obviously not for sale (Wanyama and Bender)

3. vasilli07

vasilli07 Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Singapore
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    DDG is a class act even though he was screwed by Man U. Berahino not so. Glad we didn't get him, probably going to do the same thing to us if he is a success.

BalanceUT repped this.
  4. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Less pissed but still pissed.

Count Chocula repped this.
  5. SPUR-ious

SPUR-ious Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Or you take the Bale money and you blow it on questionable pieces at the wrong prices. You're probably right that given our current revenue we're stuck in a vicious cycle that prevents us from competing with the top clubs because of the exact problem you point out. But since Spurs aren't going to spend like United, it seems the best recourse is to build by buying the "right" player at the "right" price, while incorporating the youth players. And, who knows, maybe when Chelsea and United come for Eriksen and Lloris, Levy pulls a WBA or Everton and says we're only selling on our terms and price. At the very least, it appears that right now there is some sort of method to the usual Spurs transfer madness, and, IMHO, I think that's a positive.

6. SPUR-ious

SPUR-ious Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Lennon goes to Everton on three-year deal for an undisclosed fee.

7. vasilli07

vasilli07 Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Singapore
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    Lennon got to be 1 of our best value buy. At 1m(probably 3-4m now with inflation), he has done a really good job when compared to players like Bentley and Lamela.

8. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lennon to everton - permanent transfer

9. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In
    Kevin Wimmer
    (Cologne) Undisclosed Full story
    Kieran Trippier (Burnley) Undisclosed Full story
    Toby Alderweireld (Atletico Madrid) Undisclosed Full story
    Clinton Njie
    (Lyon) Undisclosed Full story
    Heung-Min Son
    (Bayer Leverkusen) Undisclosed Full story

Out

Cristian Ceballos (Charlton Athletic) Free
    Bongani Khumalo Released
    Paulinho (Guangzhou Evergrande) Undisclosed
    Lewis Holtby (Hamburg) Undisclosed
    Etienne Capoue (Watford) Undisclosed Full story
    Younes Kaboul
    (Sunderland) Undisclosed Full story
    Benjamin Stambouli
    (Paris Saint-Germain) Undisclosed
    Roberto Soldado (Villarreal) Undisclosed
    Dominic Ball (Rangers) Loan
    Vlad Chiriches (Napoli) Undisclosed
    Shaquile Coulthirst (Wigan Athletic) Loan
    Ryan Fredericks (Bristol City) Undisclosed
    Brad Friedel Retired
    Grant Hall (Queens Park Rangers) Undisclosed
    Aaron McEneff Released
    Alex McQueen (Carlisle United) Free
    Jonathan Miles Released
    Nathan Oduwa (Rangers) Loan
    Connor Ogilvie (Stevenage Town) Loan
    Grant Ward (Rotherham United) Loan
    DeAndre Yedlin (Sunderland) Loan Full story
    Aaron Lennon (Everton) Undisclosed Full story

pookspur, soccernutter and SPUR-ious repped this.
  10. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    You summed up my concerns there. The Stoke game fell apart because of our lack of a competent DM and the way we lost our shape up front without any one to lead the line once Harry went off. N'Jie and Son will chip in with goals, sure, but we play a 4-2-3-1. Who leads the line when Harry goes out? Who is the DM that's going to relieve the back 4 of pressure?

11. El_Mittinho_ii

May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    When Lennon next comes back to WHL (shame the Everton game's gone for this year) I want every man, woman and child on their feet for him. What that lad has put into playing for this club, he's one of us.

Best of luck Aaron Lennon. May you continue to score injury time equalisers against Arsenal, winners against Chelsea, skin Milan teams of either description.

soccernutter repped this.
  12. leocal11

leocal11 Member+

Feb 7, 2005
    San Francisco
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    @Hauler does not like this.

14. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he hasn't been around much in the last few months...

15. mekarshalev

mekarshalev Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    very poor last transfer day - me pissed big time :mad:

at least almost all deadwood is out, so no excuses anymore

16. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have a team full of kids that have shown promise but haven't shown consistency. Kane is a shadow of himself last season and it was wrong for any of us to expect him to do the same thing this season, it's Messi rare that a player keeps those numbers consistent. We have absolutely no experience at CM and expect us to be mowed down against most teams in the middle. The only chance we have is scoring more goals than the opposition.

Expect Eriksen and Lloris to be sick and tired of this sh*t and want out in the next year or two, hell I would if i was them too. They could start on pretty much any team they want!

Lazy Assed Assassin repped this.
  17. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is something very reactive, petulant and unprofessional about his behavior through all of this. In the long run, you need a quality professional, not a head case.

TFC Ajax repped this.
  18. SPUR-ious

SPUR-ious Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    We're four games into the season.

We lost the "experience" of Capoue, Stambouli and Paulinho in midfield.:rolleyes: We added two CBs and an RB and two pacey winger types. Dier, while not a household name at DM and probably not the long-term solution, looked pretty darn good against Everton (I mean, he's an upgrade on Mason in that position).

Despite Rose being hurt and Dier learning how to play DM in the PL, we're tied for 5th in the PL in goals allowed.

Kane hasn't had Eriksen in two straight and has yet to play with Clinton N'Jie and Sonny. He's pressing, no doubt, but it looks like he's now going to get some support.

Do we have room for improvement? Yes. Were we going to realistically fill all our needs in this transfer window? No. Did any club? I doubt it.

I dare say we're a better club this season. The results haven't shown it, but we now seem to have more quality off the bench and a group of kids from which one or two may emerge as a quality player. Not top four, of course, but...

Count Chocula and Phillyspur repped this.
  19. vasilli07

vasilli07 Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Singapore
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    I don't think it's such a bad transfer window. Ok, maybe not the best but far from worst.

1) DM position. Dier has pretty much proved that he can play there in the game against Everton. Both Toby and Vertonghen are from the school of total football(Ajax), if there is a need, I believe they could play there as well. Fazio has played there in the past for Sevilla too. The only question I have is whose decision was it to sell Stambouli?

2) Striker. Son and N'Jie should be able play upfront. According to scouting reports, N'Jie is a quite a good finisher. If Poch somehow is willing to open the door for Ade, we have another option. Ade has proven he can play but always just lack motivation.

There is no doubt this team is stronger and closer to what Poch wants. There shouldn't be too many excuses for us not to have a good cup run and finishing in the top 6.

20. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Indications are that Pulis wanted Berahino sold so he could improve his team. So I think very good chance we come back for him in January and they let him go. His contract status helps us.

Witsel seems to think Zenit will let him go in January, so may be able to get him then. I don't think Southampton will let Wanyama go in January, but depends where they are in the league. If they're just midtable, not likely to be relegated or finish above us, then good chance they could cash in.

21. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    spurs may deal for one of those, but I cannot remember any recent January window where they went out and splashed the cash. seems to me they just fill in a hole with a role player or two

22. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    I like the Pochettino & Levy looked at the squad and said "yeah, one striker with a single good season is enough."

I can't be too disappointed. They failed trying to spend big, might as well fail cheaply.

23. vasilli07

vasilli07 Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Singapore
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    We should just move on from Berahino even if he is available in Jan. If Ade is a cancer, Berahino will be his successor with his attitude.

BalanceUT repped this.
  24. SPUR-ious

SPUR-ious Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    At least Berahino has the excuse of youth. Ade?

Reporter on the NBCSN transfer window broadcast last night says that Ade is chauffeured to the training ground every day. If he really wanted to play football, he would have taken a buyout at less than the contract and then signed with West Ham. Still would have gotten his windfall and a contract at West Ham on top of it. Of course, I'm sure Levy was offering next to nothing to buy it out.

25. SPUR-ious

SPUR-ious Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    soccernutter repped this.