Summer Selling: Moving on to next season... already :|

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by phoenixhazard, Apr 28, 2015.

1. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So who are we buying and who's going?

Chicharito anyone?

LGRod and sendorange repped this.
  2. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Striker - I'd have thought Austin or Ings here, although wouldn't rule out Hernandez. Austin only 1 year left on contract and QPR getting relegated, I'd say he was the most likely if he can pass a medical.

Wide forward /winger - Seems the club will sign someone for this, linked to Pedro which would be trickiest to sign, have been linked to Mirallas but he made comments today about staying. Jay Rodriguez is the one Poch would want, only 1 year on his contract but missed pretty much whole season and Southampton would still want big money I'd have thought.

Centre mid - Schneiderlin ship has sailed. James McCarthy was linked and would be perfect, but another one who has made comments this week about staying. Rabiot at PSG has been linked forever, but recently more game time at PSG and they've not been keen to let him go.

2x Centre backs - Wimmer seems certain given his public comments. I'd have thought also a more experienced one as well, Alderweireld has been linked and could be bought from Atletico with a high enough bid. Abdennour of Monaco has been linked a lot as well, but they're on a great run of form and should make CL, so could be difficult/expensive to sign.

I'd be surprised if we made more signings than this, Pritchard and Ali coming back from loan should help replace the players sold and I'd be surprised if at least one if not both are involved all season with the first team, also Veljkovic may push his way in as a CM backup.

The big thing is how many players are sold and for how much. I'd expect a massive cull, not just all of the ones who have been dumped from the first team squad, but also the likes of Paulinho, at least 1 of Lamela/Townsend and possibly Dembele given how out of favour he's been.

LGRod repped this.
  3. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    still think we can get Schneiderlin. Imagine Poch might go for him and Rodriguez with Soldado, Townsend in exchange.

4. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    They might take Townsend for Rodriguez, can't imagine they would want any part of Bobby Soldado though :D

I wonder if there's an MLS team that would take Soldado? I'm sure he'd be back to scoring for fun where there's a bit more space and time on the ball.

5. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no chance spurs get that young dutch winger anymore is there? what with Man Utd interested in him

would like to see proven PL players anyhow. no more 1 year wonders from Spanish or Italian league

6. vasilli07

vasilli07 Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Singapore
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    I don't think Hernandez is the kind of striker that Poch likes. He is just a poacher. His preference will be someone who can hold the ball up and wait for support. And Poch favours a 1 striker formation, it's unlikely he will start ahead of Kane. Unless he cost 5-7m and is willing to sit on the bench, it's hard to see him here.

If we don't sell Lloris or Vertonghen, we will probably only buy a wide forward who can also play as a lone striker. Add a DM and a DC. That will cost us maybe 40-50m.

Even though we may sell quite a number of players, they won't bring in too much money.

Soldado - A probable loan deal seems more possible than selling. If he scores a few goals for his new club, maybe we will recoup 1-2 million for him in 2016.

Ade - Will attract some English clubs but wages could be a tumbling block. 1-2m.

Capoue - 5-7m

Paulinho - His European adventure is over. A loan deal back to a Brazilian club with an offer to buy.

Chiriches - 5-6m

Stambouli - Doesn't seems to be in Poch plans nowadays, probably shipping him back to France. 3-5m.

Kaboul - Only a year left on his contract. 2-3m.

We could get around 20-23m if we managed to sell the 7 players.

7. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Don't forget the wages, the club's current massive profit and the new TV deal. Although there is the stadium to pay for which means no massive net spend or wage increase, there's quite a bit of wriggle room. Even paying off half of Adebayor's contract would still save 50k a week at least. Also bear in mind Soldado, Kaboul, Paulinho and Capoue are among our top earners.

8. mekarshalev

mekarshalev Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
  9. mekarshalev

mekarshalev Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
  10. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah but I suspect Poch/Mitchell not to bothered, we were linked with Depay last summer, think Jay Rodriguez and Mirallas are much stronger preferences of theirs, more wingforwards than wingers.

Some strong leaks in the last week from the club that Poch has all the power in the transfer market and he has also come out and said he knows exactly who he wants and wants them at the start of the summer. Hopefully this is true for once, our manager's preferred new signings actually have a preseason to bed in, rather than a bunch of random players being chucked at him on deadline day.

Count Chocula repped this.
  11. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    am I imagining it, or did Levy not also grant Poch's wishes that we not be distracted by another late summer tour?* it seems Pochettino (like all of 'em, presumably) knows who he wants, wants them in early, and wants time for proper preparation for the upcoming season. what's impressive is that Levy may have finally decided that it's a fairly good idea.

as close as we've been to semi-regular champions league football over the last so many years, the argument that Levy's been penny wise and pound foolish on these issues can be compelling.

of course, as stated in the apathy thread, I really don't care too much who stays and who goes - hell, he's already fooked off the only two players at the club that I really, really liked - so i'm very much on board with letting Poch get on with it with as little interference as possible.

... doesn't mean I won't be bitching about it next winter when it's all gone wrong, of course. :whistling:

*I know we'll be over briefly to play in the MLS all-star game; but that is, perhaps, the compromise.

BalanceUT repped this.
  12. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah I was just about to add that - no summer tour then Levy promptly adds the MLS game :D I don't blame the club for that one though, it's too well-timed a showcase + Yedlin.

More strong comments from Poch about transfers, saying building a team to close the gap next season on the champions. Hope it convinces the players he's after. On the other hand, he also said Soldado needs more time, not sure I fancy another year of Roberto at all

13. Hauler

Hauler Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jan 20, 2007
    Culver City, LA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is exactly what we need. I think the wide forward/winger is quite what we need. We need our wingers in this system to be able to score and so it is imperative we find some targets that can do that.

Central Mid is where we need that Palacios/Sandro type destroyer. We have players that can pass and be fancy, but I remember when we were absolutely on top of the world. We had Wilson and Sandro blowing stuff up. Parker would also fall under that category. I would love if that person is a leader or strong character so mason and Nabil can learn from him.

Our central defenders need to be just flat out better and guys who are brave, strong, team players, and can conform to our system.

I think we have some really strong youth products coming through Onomah, Carmon Vickers Carter, Pritchard, and Kyle Williams.... something. These guys need to be able to get some time in the first team and if we get Europa League it would be a great chance for them to get those games in.

At all costs we must keep hold of Kane, Lloris, and Eriksen. These are the three guys we need to start building the squad around.

14. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rose may not be at quite the same importance, but certainly just behind.

BalanceUT repped this.
  15. Hauler

Hauler Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jan 20, 2007
    Culver City, LA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I saw articles of Man City sniffing around I just felt we would bleed them for all we could for Rose.

16. vasilli07

vasilli07 Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Singapore
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    #16 vasilli07, May 9, 2015
    Last edited: May 10, 2015
    Add Poch to that list. He just doesn't convince me abit with his style of management and tactics. This is like the AVB season 2 nightmare beginning all over again.

Same squad + the goal scoring exploit of Kane and yet we are not much different from last season. We beat the likes of Chelsea and Arsenal this season but in exchange we played so much worse against the poorer teams.

Same XI all the time despite them not performing. This is all because of his dumb management skills. Kaboul or even Capoue will look like world class defenders when being compared to Vlad.

Live and die with his 4-2-3-1 no matter how badly we play.

17. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The idea is appealing, but helps us how if we can't attract the good talent? There's one thing I've learned from The Numbers Game that I find is likely true (most of what is in there is based on very weak methodology, IMO): a team is only as good as its weakest link. We are already weak enough in the back that we can't really afford to become weaker.

18. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Aren't we playing in Malaysia? Or is that early summer?

19. Hauler

Hauler Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jan 20, 2007
    Culver City, LA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well from past occasions we don't really think about that and just do it sometimes without having a replacement in and ready to go.

20. tomas_brolin

tomas_brolin Member

Jan 27, 2004
    Geneva, IL
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
  21. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    Ben Davies and a credible deputy? My concern isn’t there are no ready-made replacements, it’s Spurs have had a pretty poor success rate with signings over the past two seasons.

Count Chocula repped this.
  22. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rodriguez just extension with Southampton... 2019

23. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    eh, Poch has a buttload of players he doesn't like and will hopefully be able to get the squad he needs this summer. Next season is his make or break, this season was always going to be a feel it out

SPUR-ious repped this.
  24. vasilli07

vasilli07 Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Singapore
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    Quite a number of reports saying we will sign Lavezzi from PSG.

25. SPUR-ious

SPUR-ious Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    A few articles saying Wimmer is a done deal, too.