Summer Camp for Atheists

Discussion in 'Spirituality & Religion' started by Demosthenes, Aug 8, 2008.

1. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So if you are religious, you're a proponent of psuedoscientific theories like a 6000 year old earth and Jesus rode dinosaurs to Temple?

I see little more than evangelical athiesm tilting at the windmill of creationist fundies. They deserve each other.

2. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    Love the uniforms!!!

3. jsimm

jsimm Member

Jan 23, 2004
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well two thoughts:
    The uniforms are Biblical. You do remember Joseph's coat of many colors?

The camp's mission statement seems to be misleading. I do not think that the world is dominated by any sort of religion. Certain countries might be but the west is certainly not.

and two questions:
    Who is the arbitrator of what is religious belief and pseudoscience?
    Since this person or persons make these monumental decisions for the rest of us who will help us deal with the challenge of living in his world?

4. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did any of you bother to read either of the articles, or look at the website?

5. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

"You want this, don't you? Take your weapon! Strike me down with all of your hatred, and your journey towards the dark side will be complete!"

Or something like that.

6. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, at least the camps are only $600 per kid. I hope the children don't have to forage for food.

7. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    No, you are thinking of the Ayn Rand Camp of Self Reliance.

8. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    [​IMG]

9. jsimm

jsimm Member

Jan 23, 2004
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the chuckle.

10. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    But it is a serious answer as well. No one is the arbitrator, which means everyone is the arbitrator.

11. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Including atheism?

12. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It should.

13. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes.

14. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Good. Then it must be a good camp for kids to go and broaden their mind.

15. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    I just don't get the insecurity of some atheists. Must be something about living in America probably (although it's by no means limited to the US). I don't see much difference between sending your kids to "atheist summer camp" or sunday school or whatever, it's all about seeking confirmation of one's believes from other people. Not that there is anything wrong with it, but still. Sometimes you get the impression it's a freaking cult (atheist churches, skeptic organizations and all that stuff).

16. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you read the article? (He asked knowing the answer)

17. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    I only glanced over it, as I was somewhat familiar with the topic before. Maybe I shouldn't have used the term "atheist summer camp" - but as this was the focus of this thread anyway I just went this. But I think that's pretty much what those skeptical organizations (like the CFI which organizes those camps) are about: like minded people hang arround and confirm each other in their believes (and generally, I'm pretty sure that kids attending that camp will be pretty like-minded, including the odd religious kid). And I didn't wan't to sound too negative actually, although after re-reading my post I think I managed to do so again :D. It's just my knee-jerk reaction to organizations like the CFI or extreme atheists - I don't see the appeal of turning those positions into an ideology.

18. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If the kids are encouraged to question atheism as much as they are encouraged to question other religious beliefs, then it doesn't show insecurity at all.

The problem with some religious camps is that get kids to question everybody else, often by making sweeping generalizations about others, but they discourage kids (and indeed adults too) from questioning their own set of beliefs and ideas.

That to me shows insecurity. People shouldn't be afraid to question their own faith and beliefs.

19. jsimm

jsimm Member

Jan 23, 2004
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't the intellectual position of the instructor play a large part? Can a Christian teach kids to question Christianity? Can an atheist teach kids to question his beliefs? Given that the atheist position is sometimes ( I said sometimes, so don't get your panties in a wad) based on a feeling of intellectual superiorty, how does one teach others to question the superior thought?

20. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    That's also a matter of methods. Given that the camp is held by an organization that wants to promote a scientific, secular world view and the pretty much anyone atracted by such a camp will lean into this direction already, I wouldn't expect too many kids to question their world view because of such a view. Of course I don't know exactly what's done there and I don't really want to comment too much on that specific camp - I'm sure they don't want to recruit little atheists, and I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I'd think the same about a religious camp, also that's not my business either, and as long as kids are taught to be tolerant there's no problem with any.

The problem I have with scientific skepticism is that many skeptics seem to think they are the good guys ("science, ******** yeah!!!!"), and being more interested in proving whatever they consider to be the other side to be wrong.

21. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Sure. They can do it by creating an environment in which the children realize that their provocative questions are encouraged and not ridiculed of ignored by the instructors.

Of course the instructor will teach his views, there's nothing wrong with that. But, I think it also helps if when it comes to religion or methaphysics a teacher makes statements like, 'I believe...', 'our church believes'..., 'our group believes...', rather than 'This is the way it is'.

For example, an eight year old kid asks, 'Who created God'?

An atheist instructor can reply, 'We, (our group), believe that nobody created God, that there is no god'.

A Christian instructor can reply, 'We, (our church), believe that nobody created God, that he has always existed.

22. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    I suppose a camp like this would be good if the kids were talked through the thaught process rather than just having the final conclusion drilled into them.

For me, that's why I became an atheist, I didn'' start off like that and then build my argument around the conclusion. I thought it through and came to the conclusion. As long as kids are exposed to that and open to that I don't mind.

23. jsimm

jsimm Member

Jan 23, 2004
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You make a good argument in theory but you have far more faith in humankind then I do. If you doubt me, watch Dan Rather's eye brows when he reads a story he disagrees with or listen to some of the claptrap that was thrown at me in college. Bias is something that is difficult to overcome within one's self because we often don't realize that we are biasd. That is a weakness of all true belivers, be they theist or atheist. If you doubt me look at all the good intentions of education professionals who live in their insulated world and come up with such things as new math, bilingual eduction & self esteem programs.

Now, if the camp were to teach kids the ability to think for themselves, then it would be a most relevant endeavor. If that were so, I suspect the kids would come out with many of the same beliefs that they went in with, just stronger.

24. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Exactly. I presume many people send their kids to camp because they want to instill their own beliefs to their kids. But it is best that the instructors explain why they arrived at their beliefs, and let the children think it through, rather than just say, 'this is how it is'.