Summer blues: NBA/MLB/NFL Dream 11

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by ddw31089, Jul 1, 2005.

1. ddw31089

ddw31089 New Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    My god the summer is going slowly. To help us all pass the time and do something else besides endlessly comparing Adu and Messi, and checking transfer gossip multiple times per day, I thought we could do something equally as useless, but more entertaining.

It's simple. Just pretend every professional athlete in the US had chosen to play soccer. Then chose your starting eleven (subs optional) to represent the US in our own little dream world.

Athletes from all sports are valid for the team (including golf, so yes everyone, John Daly is an option).

Here's my team.

Goalkeeper
    Tim Duncan: Gigantic calming presence. Corner kicks also wouldn't be a danger as he would go up and catch all of them.

Rightback
    Champ Bailey: Supremely athletic fullback would never get beat off the dribble.
    Centerback
    Ben Wallace: Unstoppable presence in the air. Would talk ******** and intimidate with his afro. Also would likely be suspended everyother game.
    Centerback
    Brian Urlacher: Bigger faster stronger version of John Terry
    Leftback
    Brian Leetch: Sentimental pick would be pure class on the left.

Rightmid
    Terrel Owens: Fast blackman #1. Rummenigge on steroids.
    Midfield
    Mike Modano: Great vision, strong, and flowing hair. Perfect central mid.
    Midfield
    Allen Iverson: Great competitor who would dominate the midfield as well as being the most tatooed soccer player in the world.
    Leftmid
    Charles Woodson: Fast blackman #2

Striker
    Michael Vick: Dominant.
    Striker
    Randy Moss: Has as much flair, speed and good looks as Ronaldinho & Ronaldo. Also jumps really high.

SUBS
    Goalkeeper
    Randy Johnson: Comedy value alone. And could throw the ball the entire length of the field to Moss on counter attacks.
    Defense
    Kevin Garnett: Tall and scary.
    Utilityman
    Vince Carter: Could fill in at defense or as a targetman if a late goal was needed.
    Midfield
    Derek Jeter: Despite my dislike for him he would probably be a great leader in the center of the park

That's my team. Of the starting eleven there are 6 football players, 3 basketball players and 2 hockey players. No baseball players, but then again 2 of them made my bench.

2. Anteater10

Anteater10 New Member

Dec 31, 2003
    CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd have Justin Gatlin somewhere in there, fastest man on earth.

3. special_k

special_k Red Card

Aug 5, 2004
    Brunswick/Cle, OH
    Hi my name is Asafa Powell. I just broke the world record in the 100m a few weeks ago. I am now unofficialy officialy the fastest man in the world.

4. The Big Ticket

The Big Ticket New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    MN -> UIUC
    Hi, my name is Tony. I also hold a record, but it involves eating pies. :(

5. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a fun, absolutely meaningless thread -- nothing more, nothing less.

That said, Jeter's my #10, if Vick can't play the position, no question about it.

If anything, this could provide a great debate as to what predominant skills in these athletes' respective sports apply to soccer from an American perspective, and what positions they might have played.

I'll have to brainstorm my first XI plus five subs at some point -- but no mention of Lance Armstrong? Arguably the best athlete on the planet, has tremendous sense of guts, and he is a champion in every sense of the word.