Summer 2022 Transfer Thread - What's next???

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by chjoak, Feb 2, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Throw Xhaka, Cedric and Pepe on that list and I am happy.

2. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Entirely possible. Could see him wanting to head out on a positive and go to a league (Italy or Germany) where he has a better chance to dominate. I think Italy would be perfect for him.

3. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think Pepe is as good as gone. Too many rumors about the staff being upset with him and I can't imagine that he is happy in his role at 26.

Cedric & Xhaka are reasonably likely. Seen 2-3 links for Cedric the last several weeks. He isn't a fit for the EPL at this point but I cold see him being a quality starter in Italy or Portugal. Xhaka could stay but I think there is a decent chance that he has already told Arteta that he would like to move on. Italy make the most sense but think he could be very good in most leagues outside of the EPL.

4. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. Hadn't heard about them as an option. Last I heard he was talking to Atletico.

5. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Forgot about our loanees. Really can't see how most of them aren't sold (correct me if any of them have options to buy I have no idea)

Gone: Bellerin, Torreira, Runarsson, AMN, Mari, Guendouzi. Surely all get sold if options are on them like we saw with Mavro.

On loan next season: Balogun, Hein, Smith, Azeez

Return from loan and has the pre-season to prove themselves: Nelson, Saliba.

6. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your point, that we obviously need a real striker, stands, but Saka (11), Smith-Rowe (10), Ødegaard (7) and Martinelli (6) all had more league goals than Nketiah.

7. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Douzi has an option too. OM doesnt have much choice but to pick it up given their transfer ban and the guys leaving.

The rest are technically coming back but likely all get sold.

Think there is a chance that Balogun & Azeez could be kept around to play in cups & EL group. Then loaned in Jan.

Agreed, though I think Saliba is less about proving he should stay and more about proving his place innthe pecking order.

8. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And with a legit ST the field opens up some for these guys and there is a bit less pressure meaning that Saka, ESR, Martinelli & MO could all get 10+ next season.

9. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Seems weird for this to happen immediately after the match, but I appreciate the investigative reporting.

10. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

11. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    I assume you mean Nketiah was the top scoring striker.

12. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

13. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Mavropanos and Guendouzi were obligations to buy. Torreira was an option t buy and Florentina has declined the option. I don’t believe anyone else has either an option or an obligation to buy. Real Betis has basically said the can’t afford Bellerin.

14. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Eep, yes thats what I meant.

The goal scoring list isn't pretty reading.
    [​IMG]

Our CB outscored our 2 main ST, but whats worse for Lacapace is that Auba spent a lot of time out on the LW and left halfway through the season.

Hard to think had Nketiah had the same match time as Laca he doesn't hit double digit goals.

But it reinforces WE NEED 2 STRIKERS BAD. 1 to take Lacas spot, and 1 in case of injury.

Bluto11 repped this.
  15. Cop Shoot Cop

Cop Shoot Cop Member

Sep 26, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Hair cuts coming? Belllerin, Toreira, and AMN don’t seem to have a place at Arsenal.

And, if El Neny is staying, does that mean it is more likely that Xhaka is going?

16. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does Bellerin have a market? or are we cutting him loose?

17. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I was looking at the GD chart vs Spurs and then saw this tweet

Basically the Auba gamble failed but the other guys scored to a High level for wide forward and central midfield

18. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    I can see Nelson competing with Marquinos for a role off the bench and in the cups with the first team. If Marquinos is ready then Nelson is sold. But if he's not, he goes on loan and Nelson stays, maybe even gets a contract extension if he does well. Nelson has always been pretty clear about wanting to stay and fight for a spot at Arsenal, even when it wasn't the best for his development.

Or maybe an academy kid beats out both of them.

I think so, yes. We will see but I think Xhaka goes and the club signs an 8. Hopefully not Tielemans.

Atletico maybe? They have money, sold Trippier in January and Vrsaljko's contract is up. It looks like they were playing a back 3 without wing-backs at times last season. Could also be that Betis will pay but this is part of the negotiation to keep the fee as low as possible. They did make Europa League.

19. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Bellerin from the matches I watched this season would have been a much better back up to Tomiyasu than Cedric was. Doubt he wants to stay here as a back up though.

And when fit, Tomiyasu is the better option.

There will be a team in Spain who stumps up for him.

20. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Interesting if true. Would take Abraham off the table but puts an obstacle in place for Broja every getting 1st team minutes at Chelsea. He faded a bit at the end for Soton and I still don't see Chelsea wanting to sell to Arsenal, but maybe he's more likely than Abraham. He'd be a nice homegrown #2 option.

daedalus repped this.
  21. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure what Hector’s contract term is but it’s very hard to imagine him coming back to AFC.

22. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #922 chjoak, May 23, 2022
    Last edited: May 23, 2022
    Think the only academy kid with a shot to beat them both at the moment is Hutchinson but he is said to be off to Reading (I think?) on loan.

With limited 1st team minutes, I think Marquinhos spends most of the year with the u23s and gets some 1st team training time and possibly game time for cups.

If Nelson wants to stay, I think we may give him the chance to prove himself. He starts out in cups, EL group stages and the odd sub appearance. If all goes well, he gets the occasional start so Saka can play the EL knockout rounds. If all does not go well then we may be looking for a RW in Jan.

With El Neny staying, that gives us 3 deep at #6 (Partey, Sambi & El Neny). If Xhaka goes, I think we need a starting quality #8 (agree... no Tielemans) and a young #8/10. That would then give us a 3 deep at #8 (New guy, Sambi, New guy #2) and at #10 (MO, Patino/ESR, New guy #2).

I think Betis wants him and he wants to go back. They are trying to get a better deal (salary and/or transfer fee). If that falls through I could see Atletico. They have been linked in the past and definitely have RB depth issues.

23. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

24. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting (if true) in that my assumption (and perhaps others) was that Arteta was more the pull for Jesus having been coached by him before, but this states that Edu is the real pull, having been Technical Director of Brazil I guess. I still gotta figure that he wouldn't want to come so much if he didn't feel very comfortable with Mikel as his boss.

25. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    and, if i am not mistaken, mavropanos' buy option was contingent on them staying up which wasn't a sure thing until the last second goal. :-D