Summer 2022 Transfer Thread - What's next???

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by chjoak, Feb 2, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Maybe, but this deal only makes sense if either Tierney or Tavares is being shipped out.

2. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Why?

Hickey is two-footed and can play on either side. My hope is that he replaces Cedric.

CarlosKaiser repped this.
  3. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree that someone will need to go (loan or sale) but Cedric should be on the table too. Currently he is our only FB that has been linked away. Hickey primarily plays LB/LWB but he is naturally right-footed. It is entirely possible (and likely) that he comes in and becomes the primary backup to both LB & RB until such point that he is able to take the job from someone. Given his injury history that is more likely to be Tierney but not a guarantee. What Hickey does give us though is a potentially significant upgrade at FB and the possibilities of having 3 starter quality FBs, 2 of which can play either side effectively.

4. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thought Real wanted Tierney??

5. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was rumor that Real & Barca were interested. Then there were 50+m numbers thrown around and all of a sudden they seem to be going different directions.

6. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    That's fine, but I'm over depending on him.

CarlosKaiser and daedalus repped this.
  7. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Looking at this kid a little more closely, he only has about 700 senior minutes as Sao Paulo, if bought I think he’s headed to the U23s, as one for the future.

daedalus repped this.
  8. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    man, ideal scenario for me would be:

next year: hickey, theoretically, backing up tierney/is left-back when tierney is inevitably broken and gets a year to see if adding right-side is a possibility. cedric is 4th option/never play. tavares on loan, preferably to premiership club while we run out cedric's contract. (how does crystal palace look at left-back?) norton-cuffy on loan to championship club.

year after: cedric fucks off. hickey hopefully picking up/adapting to right and becomes no 2 at both LB/RB which opens up tomiyasu to be a CB alternative. tavares gets a year to prove himself as possible LB option and, hopefully, becomes someone who can come in at LW to finish off games. norton-cuffy on loan to premiership club.

then: we hopefully have a fluid and competent across the board defensive unit that can compete on 4 fronts.

9. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    a 3M dice roll that you hope becomes martinelli* on the right-side is worthwhile to me.

*not stylistically, i don't know how he plays. thinking of the level of success.

10. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Agree with the concept, but he’s only played 794 minutes this season, so he won’t make a huge impact next season.

11. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Also, feels like Martinelli’s future is at striker.

12. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gabriel Jesus does seem to have turned it up in recent weeks, including today. Hmm… shop window? ;)

GunnerJacket repped this.
  13. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    oh, no doubt. i mean, martinelli is still far from a finished product but he has unquestionably been a contributor this season and he got here in 19/20.

14. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Hopefully not related to outgoing transfers, Saliba just won the Ligue 1 Young Player of the Year Award.

danielh, daedalus and leppercut repped this.
  15. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand that player fit is a real thing but I think Mikel and Co really need to spend this summer trying to see if there’s a place for him because otherwise, it’ll be a huge miss.

daedalus repped this.
  16. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This may be an overly reductive analysis, but if OM qualifies for UCL but Arsenal doesn’t…

17. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seeing lots of chatter about a Mari + change for Nahuel Molina move

18. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    How does missing top 4 (assuming there is no final day miracle) impact the summer transfer business?

Is Gabriel Jesus still interested or does he want UCL football? de Jong was a long shot but there is zero chance now. Does Tielemans get a better offer in Spain? Does Dybala stay in Italy? Do Arsenal really want to add players on 200k/week or more?

Two major transfers while giving Elneny a new contract isn't going to make them good enough. Lots of areas need strengthened. Probably can't address everything in one summer.

19. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know if legit but I read somewhere yesterday (maybe?) that he is willing to join even if we don't make CL. The ultimate question is whether he gets an offer from a CL bound squad that looks more appealing.

If he comes to England, I think it will be ManU but I think he ultimately wants CL more than he wants to reunite with ten Hag. The question is whether he is willing to take a pay cut for a CL squad. Wouldn't be surprised if the links to Bayern pop up again. Or maybe Dortmund would be an option with Haaland being sold?

Think he wants Real. Not sure if they want him. Think there is a chance we still get him but there are rumors that he wants CL above all else. Could see him as another interesting option for Bayern/Dortmund. Would be cheaper than de Jong and lower salary demands.

At his age, he won't accept a non-CL side unless he has no other options. My guess is he signs with Inter.

Not likely to make CL but still gonna be in EL. Absolutely have to still increase squad size. I think the difference for this window now is that we will likely get cheaper options that we might have otherwise.

GK - done
    FB - spend the money on Hickey so you hopefully have a starting quality backup that can play both sides. Rumors of us being linked to the Udinese RB but with no CL I'm betting we stick with Cedric or Tavares as the 4th FB.
    CB - bring back Saliba and call it a day. If he insists on being sold/loaned, then either keep Ballard around as the 4th or find a cheap option with huge upside.
    CM - Could see a number of scenarios here and I think it ultimately comes down to whether Xhaka wants to leave. If he stays, I think we sign a cheaper option with upside that is not guaranteed to be the opening day starter but could potentially take Xhaka's spot by Xmas. If he goes, I think we sign a quality starter (Tielemans, Ruiz, etc...) and a young guy with upside.
    W - Don't think the plan changes. Sell Pepe and snag a young backup with upside. Don't think Marquinhos is ultimately that guy.
    ST - Jesus if he doesn't get a better option. Keep Eddie if they can convince him. No idea who we may go after if either doesn't work out. After the Newcastle game, I feel we really need a big target guy that can come down with the long passes from the back and hold the ball.

20. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Bissouma is perfect for us and beat his case I believe lol and wouldn’t cost a stupid amount

Eddie is a fine backup but if he wants to leave, sign a striker from the championship or bring back balo as a backup and get Jesus. That kid at Blackburn had a great season

we definitely need to sell Pepe and bring back Reiss and sign hickey

Saliba should be a starting cb. White and Gabriel have had shaken moments and he looks quick and powerful

lots of change needs to happen here. The players are tired because the squad is tiny, imagine we were in Europe this year?

DaPrince84 repped this.
  21. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    The Jesus move seemed to be moving swiftly, I can see him pressing pause to see if a better option arises. Maybe he needs to wait for other moves around Europe to shake out. But if those other offers don't arise, Arsenal should play hardball and negotiate a lower fee.

The difference is that the UCL requires real first team players while academy kids should be fine for Europa League group stage matches. Between those 6 games and the league cup, kids like Balogun, Patino, Azeez, etc could play and gain experience while spelling the first team before going on loan in January. Reinforcements could be added to the first team for the knockout stage.

For example, Europa League allows an opportunity for guys like Nuno and Sambi to develop. There isn't anything to gain by running Cedric and Elneny out for those matches, they aren't going to improve, you aren't putting them in the shop window for a future sale.

22. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I like him a lot, but it really looks like we have to sign someone who's ready to really compete with him for the starting job. Two seasons in a row, he's broken down and left us hanging for the run in. And I'm starting to feel the same with regard to Partey.

daedalus, mebeSajid, thebigman and 2 others repped this.
  23. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Bissouma solves the Partey issue as he can play as a solo pivot and as a more advanced midfielder

we are as usual, too lightweight and weak. Our forwards are all kids and then backups are shite

DaPrince84 repped this.
  24. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Been thinking about the ST situation quite a bit since Mon. Part of me likes the idea of re-signing Eddie as the #2. He's young, presses well, is good on the counter and has room to grow. I get the argument from some that he will likely never be up to top 4 standards but I also see the value to giving him one more year to see what he can do and then get something in return if/when we sell him later. That said, I do not see the value in signing both Eddie & Jesus. They are too similar and I don't see the value in having essentially 2 of the same ST in rotation. For me, I really want a 6'2"+ strong player that is good in the air. Bonus points if he is also mobile. So with that I see 2 options...

Option 1 - re-sign Eddie
    In this scenario Eddie is retained as the #2. You don't reject Jesus but you tap the breaks a bit and quickly pursue other options to see if a legit target/hold-up/aerial ST can be obtained as your #1. This is a tough option because potential #1s that meet this criteria are slim pickings. You are basically looking at Schick & Abraham as the top options but both would be pricey. Then you have a 2nd tier of Weghorst, Morata, Haller & DCL. And finally the "kinda fits" options of Isak, Leao, Nunez, Thuram, Gakpo & Joaquin Correa.

Option 2 - let Eddie walk
    In the scenario you let Eddie go and sign Jesus immediately as your #1. Then for #2 you pursue younger target/hold-up/aerial ST options. You could pull from the list of the "kinda fits" above but many in that list would be A) expensive or B) expectant of the #1 spot. Other options I would consider are Adam Hlozek, Sasa Kalajdzic, Armando Broja, Mohamed Bayo or Hugo Ekitike.

Option 1 is more practical and cost efficient but may be harder to get a true #1 ST that fits the mold. Option 2 presents the possibility of a stronger pairing but has the potential to be much more expensive.

25. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    I'm afraid he now has leverage to ask for high wages, which kill any resale value he will have. The opportunity was really missed 12 months ago, I think it's now best to move on. It is in the club's interest to talk about a new contract publicly as that may increase the tribunal fee assuming he stays in England.

The Leverkusen sporting director was pretty explicit about Schick not being for sale. And Roma supposedly want 80m euros for Abraham.

Weghorst and Morata are too old. Romano mentioned Haller to Bayern if Lewandowski goes to Barca. DCL is at least home grown. Feels like Everton will sell either him or Richarlison, with Richarlison more likely to fetch a good fee.

I don't see a hot market for Isak after his disappointing season. Leao and Nunez seem pricey. Thuram will have his choice of clubs if he is really available on the cheap. I think Gakpo could be likely if Liverpool don't show interest and at a fee lower than 40m. Correa will be 28 when the season starts, not ideal.