2020-21 Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Vulpinous, Feb 4, 2020.

1. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Quarantine will be over in 2 years time and Pastore will still arrive back injured. We might need the goat 2.0.

shiboboo and L'immortale repped this.
  2. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    1247212244099891208 is not a valid tweet id

3. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Bizarre how a leader on the pitch himself in the center of midfield didnt have the foresight to see how completely overhauling your midfield (and one sale at the very end of the window) wouldn't lead to issues. What required a subtle touch up, they decided a sledge hammer was needed.

Java65 and whill4 repped this.
  4. L'immortale

L'immortale Red Card

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Retired
    Midfield General repped this.
  5. Matrim

Matrim Member+

Feb 10, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    And strangely enough, I remember 95% of the people here getting offended when me and some other fine gentlemen told you what will happen with the midfield and the team in the coming season.

You don't get a free "I told you so" pass on this. :)

L'immortale repped this.
  6. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO, I think once you sold Ninja the midfield was done so you might as well sell Strootman.

While the sale certainly impacted that season getting Zaniolo might have made it worth it.

wm72 repped this.
  7. L'immortale

L'immortale Red Card

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Retired
    Not really because without those 2 we missed out on champions league and many millions in revenue.

8. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That entire Mongo era was a bad dream

wm72, Indian_Gladiator, Andreas and 3 others repped this.
  9. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Not really. Selling Radja was one thing (and as you say, we got Zaniolo as a result). But what really pissed me off back then, was going on to sell Stroot too, right at the end of the window after the season had already started. And I have no doubt that certain members of the squad were not happy about it either (something I'm pretty sure I suggested would be the case at the time).

Oban14, wm72, Midfield General and 2 others repped this.
  10. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    The proof is in the pudding as they say and the proof says Javas conclusion is wrong. Too many major adjustments at once is not the way to do things, likewise having to many inexperienced players is no way to team build. Many claimed you couldn't turn down that money for Strootman but his steady calming presence on and off the pitch was worth far more to the team and selling a key piece on the last day is just a badly thought out policy. Monchi came here and gambled. He must have thought he was invincible given his Seville record. Seems like an arrogant knob.

Midfield General and L'immortale repped this.
  11. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Marco9 repped this.
  12. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
  13. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Juventus interested in Milhouse?

Believe that and you'd believe anything!

14. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
  15. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He's going to become a great player?

16. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What proof? You can't say that if we sold Radja and kept Strootman the season would have been better, it's just your opinion.

I'm simply saying that without Radja that MF was done. You could not play DDR and Strootman together, it didn't work. So you are left with 2 MF who couldn't run and without the ball hawking CM like Radja that MF was going to be bad.

Also, if you remember, I was one of the people arguing that Strootman brought more to the team than just what he did on the field. The bigger problem was that Monchi had no plan on building a team, he simply used the money to make random purchases.

17. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    #292 La Magica, Apr 9, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2020

The proof is throughout the history of football in that the odds are against you when making too many changes on top of each other you will likely struggle. I have no doubt Strootman staying, even though not the same player would have brought us much better stability over the course of the season. That's not saying we would have been world beaters with Kevin but when you make major changes to key personal do it subtly over 2 or 3 seasons and keep the squad ticking over nicely. Common sense.

Haakon24 repped this.
  18. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    #293 La Magica, Apr 9, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    And this is also what's I'm linking into my overall point. Football team are more complex than just starting 11 week in, week out. Our squad needed a leader and we sold a huge one at the last minute. Hence me saying your conclusion that you might as well sell him is wrong when you look at the overall picture. Make sense?

19. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah yea, ok I get it. I think we have always agreed that its critical that a club keeps it's core players, through good times and bad, and it's coach.

Too often I see fans write off a coach or players after 6 months or even a year and that's just foolish, IMO. I've even seen fans willing to write of Pellegrini already!?!?! I mean, ffs, he's 23 and showed flashes of brilliance but of course at his age consistence is going to be an issue.

La Magica repped this.
  20. Haakon24

Haakon24 Member+

Mar 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    The psychologists on this board have already decided that Pellegrini is a beta male and mentally weak with no chance of improving. Another player being scapegoated for not saving a subpar team by himself.

decola and La Magica repped this.
  21. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    ;):laugh:

thanks.jpg

Haakon24 repped this.
  22. nguoiaoden

nguoiaoden Member

Feb 3, 2015
    Club:
    AS Roma
  23. tmontana52

tmontana52 Member+

Jul 10, 2007
    Philly- the 215
    Club:
    AS Roma
  24. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
  25. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    shiboboo, whill4, Shen-O and 1 other person repped this.