SUM/USSF splitting up

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by SirFozzie, May 23, 2021.

1. drt2k3

drt2k3 Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Wilmington, NC
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    Will MLS gets the raise they are planning on with no USMNT to piggyback?

2. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not so sure it is that way anymore.

3. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    I hope they split men’s and women’s tv rights to get some clarity there.

4. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could the USWNT land on CBS/Paramount+? Considering USSF financially supports the league, this could make sense. But since CBSSN has little open programming time, this may not make sense, unless they're willing to launch a CBSSN 2.

I wonder if this split could lead to more TV/streaming opportunities for the men's youth teams. ESPN+ would be a great opportunity there.

And what does this mean for the new MLS TV deal? At one point, they were piggybacking off the USMNT, but as said, this appears to no longer be the case.

I suppose time will tell.

5. drt2k3

drt2k3 Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Wilmington, NC
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    It will be very interesting

I could see any of the Big 5 winning the USMNT rights

My gut bet for the MLS rights would be Fox, ESPN, and Turner

6. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What motivation does Turner have to get soccer back? They bailed early on UEFA CL.

MLS will probably stay the same. Hopefully the league pushes teams to get some sort of local OTA simulcast for teams that have games on subscription channels.

7. drt2k3

drt2k3 Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Wilmington, NC
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    https://worldsoccertalk.com/2020/03...s-losing-uefa-champions-league-rights-to-cbs/

Turner didn't want to lose UEFA. They were outbid for the next 3 year cycle during the 3 year cycle cycle which they had the rights. With no long term strategy available and COVID it didn't make sense to keep the rights.

Bleacher Report made a deal with SUM for USMNT and MLS highlights and specialty programming which to me indicates interest in at minimum what ESPN+ has now for MLS, especially with all local rights, in addition to out of market rights, being available as well. Turner needs weekend sports programming too