Sum Cup Draw

Discussion in 'MLS: Youth & Development' started by thetank123, Jun 14, 2010.

1. thetank123

thetank123 Member

Dec 28, 2009
  2. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    FCD should walk that group

P.S. The camera work on this is sub-college level. The second camera isn't even focused right...this wouldn't pass a 2000 level video production course.

3. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's all the groups

Group A
    DC
    Chicago
    Colorado
    San Jose

Group B
    Dallas
    Seattle
    Columbus
    Philadelphia

Group C
    New England
    Chivas
    Houston
    Toronto

Group D
    LA
    Kansas City
    Real Salt Lake
    New York

4. thetank123

thetank123 Member

Dec 28, 2009

Why should FCD walk the group? The Sounders have just as many national pool players as FCD does.

5. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    I guess we'll just see.

6. Jahinho_Guerro

Apr 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Does anyone know what the exact age rules are?

I'm wondering if the rule is as long as your at the age of 17, or younger.
    (meaning you can play even if you are turning 18 after the tournament)

7. Jahinho_Guerro

Apr 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Guess nobody has answer

8. thetank123

thetank123 Member

Dec 28, 2009
    From what I understand there oldest a player can be is a 93. The number of 93's is limited to half the team (somewhere in the 8-10 player range) and the other half must be made up of anyone younger than a 93.

9. FCmagic01

FCmagic01 Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Chicago, Dallas, Houston, and New York will win their perspective groups. Just a hunch.

10. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    so. mlssoccer.com has basically nothing on this. no dedicated sub page with rosters and profiles and schedules and results. way to f**king go MLS.

edit: there is this page which is part of the houston dynamo site but it is pretty weak with a small preview of each group. no detailed rosters or player profiles (why would fans want to know what kids are in their team's pipeline) and the results seem to be a bit slow in coming.

http://www.houstondynamo.com/SUMCup

11. Howard the Drake

Feb 27, 2010
    Seattle 1-1 Dallas (Seattle wins 4-3 on PKs)
    Houston 3-0 Toronto
    Columbus beat Philadelphia's thrown-together team, not sure on score

12. MARCH_

MARCH_ Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a shit effort by MLS in covering this competition. Props to some clubs that at least cover their side.

13. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    Without even a roster/lineup for games, this is a joke.

14. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Howard the Drake

Feb 27, 2010
  16. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know!!!!! They aren't providing live updates abot a secondary event! Bastards! More exclamation points! ;)

All I did was ask them and they sent me the link. It was posted last night.

17. Tmagic77

Tmagic77 Member+

Feb 10, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I find it interesting that Kellen Gulley is playing with the Fire. He's from their Mississippi satellite program.

How old is Emerson Hyndman?

18. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

yeah because why would you want this information on the main mls website where fans of every team could easily find it. or even a link/article listed in the all-star weekend section since it is peripherally a part of all-star weekend.

i definitely think it is a very smart move to rather have it only on the Houston Dynamo page since only they are participating in it. right? it is just 16 teams of Houston Dynamo youth players correct?

face it, mls and mlssoccer.com are egregiously incompetent on about every score and this was just another example of piss poor half-assed not caring. these are the MLS players of tomorrow and it would be nice if the league gave them some serious attention and focus. you know at least as much as having a nice, clearly linked an visible sub page for the tournament with the history of the tournament, past players, current rosters/profiles, etc etc. it is nice to have a daily recap but if it is nearly impossible to find even if you are looking for it and completely off the radar of those not searching and not done as part of a comprehensive and complete effort than it is still pretty piss poor.

19. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

20. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

None of your complaints are anything I ever said. You just like to whine, Skippy.

Listen, it's a tough world out there where people wear big boy pants. You can expect everything to be spoonfed to you and throw a temper tantrum when you don't get your way or you can be a resourceful, productive part of the conversation.

In less time than it took you to remove your thumb from your ass, I merely contacted the Dynamo Twitter account since they had posted info on their game and asked them where I could find more info. They replied about an hour later with the link.

Sure, it would be nice to have it on the main page and they could promote it better, but when you boil it down, this is nothing more than a secondary event that puts together some of the best academy players. It's really window dressing, not the major showcase you try to present it as. And coverage of it has always reflected this.

So as much as you want to make this into your latest crusade while you take a break from second-guessing MLS' expansion strategy based on some silly little spreadsheet you have developed, it's really nothing more than a fun competition for youth teams that helps expose them to the All-Star Game and is covered as such.

If you'd actually done some legwork instead of holding your breath until you were given a second lollipop, you might have helped some fellow posters with a link to the action. Instead, you merely advanced the growing theory that you're just here to soothe you poor little ego. Unsucessfully, I might add.

Boom, ********ing roasted, junior.

21. Howard the Drake

Feb 27, 2010
    MLS has had enough trouble running the new site. I would rather they actually get that figured out than spend effort on a periphery event that 98% of fans aren't going to care about.

22. FCmagic01

FCmagic01 Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Gulley is a quality player. It seems like he might be their first academy signing, funny that it would be someone not from Chicago.

Emerson Hyndman is 14 years old I believe, he is 96.

23. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    i really like how the Fire have been aggressive setting up satellite academy programmes despite already having a very strong home region for talent (if the Sockers and Magic are any indication). it would be great to see their efforts paid off by getting a quality 1st teamer out of it.

i am a bit surprised that more teams haven't tried this. i know that RSL has one in AZ but that may even be their "main" academy as i think it is the one they have put in the USSFDAL. but given that there are no teams in the south or FL, so there are no protected "territories" as far as i know you'd think that some of the more advanced MLS teams would seek to reach out and set up a footprint in FL or NC especially.

24. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    RSL has a club in Florida, though it is not in the USSDA (the RSL-FL BU16 team is playing for the U.S. Youth Soccer championship tomorrow). I don't know what arrangement RSL-FL has with the parent club. Perhaps a promising player or two will be moved to the RSL-AZ USSDA team?