Suggestions for next USMNT Asst Coach

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by keller4president, Jul 23, 2019.

1. jmplautz

jmplautz Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Madison
  2. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Looks like Robin Fraser and Davy Arnaud are out of the running for next USMNT assistant, given they've taken over MLS clubs. Still plenty of options though, including Steve Cherundolo. Might be more names available at end of season.

3. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    do y'all even care how these people do at their jobs? arnaud is getting shellacked as our interim and worse doesn't seem interested in playing with personnel or formation much. at least when we imploded before, wade barrett put us in a bunker and started getting points. plus, he had a handful of caps and probably can offer little to players in terms of international understanding.

fraser lost twice as many as he won as a head coach.

so good riddance to bad trash.

i repeat, i want coaches who either are successful players, or successful coaches, who know stuff and have little learning curve. we already see with berhalter that pretending a career backup for the NT knows practical coaching stuff about international play is a bit exaggerated.

dolo is the only one off your list worthy of the job. he would have wingback expertise and could defend his position. that is an area we need coached up.

Girt and sXeWesley repped this.
  4. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    in my grouchiest get off my lawn voice, i ask why wolff is leaving now for a team that doesn't start til 2021? and why we're indulging that sort of activity with a friendly response when he coached us half a year? it sounds kind of cozy to carry a quitting coach for several more games (and paychecks) when we probably should use that time to audition replacements and test their rapport with the players. you're leaving us that fast? clear out your office now, i'll find an assistant. get off my lawn.

does it really take 6 months for a GM with limited portfolio to hire an assistant coach? it sounds kind of like what we did with sarachan.

5. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A coaches record is not what I'd be looking at exclusively. A lot depends on how much talent he had to work with, the style of play and effort he achieved with his teams, how his style would translate to the team looking to hire him and how his roster makeup compares with how the hiring team's roster makeup is historically. Most average coaches can win with the most talent (although eventually they'll falter) while it's a lot harder to win and improve with lesser talent (although that doesn't mean you'll win titles if given more talent). If clubs only hired winning coaches then only the same coaches would play mary-go-round with the top jobs until they all aged out.

6. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #57 juvechelsea, Aug 27, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    you have it backwards. i want the results first. then i might look at, oh, wow, of these candidates with the results, this particular one did more with less than the next guy. SAF @ Aberdeen. Mourinho @ Porto.

my concern is once you devalue results and emphasize resources, it then becomes a subjective exercise in optimism. whatever you want some no-results, underresourced coach to be capable of, you read it into him.

last year the actual money-for-value coach was Armas, who took over a good Marsch team and got it across the finish line with the SS for an astounding 71 points. he even beat overrated "value" coach Berhalter's Columbus team on the way to the semis. he then split the semi games with well-resourced atlanta losing on aggregate. we then hired the coach who finished 5th on conference and lost the quarters. given USA resources he then took the NT to a prosaic second place finish in GC at home.

our problem is we want to hopefully read into mediocre coaches that they will be successful if better resourced. there is plenty of "moyes" history of handling career chevy drivers a lambo and they can't get it down the road any faster than the chevy in traffic.

if you don't require the results/lap times, so to speak, it becomes sheer optimistic speculation. wilmer cabrera was voted dead last in terms of coaches MLS players want to play for in an ESPN poll. but we are so cheap with our ownership you have revisionists in town saying cabrera's firing was unfair because we don't have much payroll. who cares what the record looks like. who cares if the team quit playing for him. who cares if all he has is a gimmick formation.

Girt repped this.
  7. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    i mean, do i want "pluck" or do i want "results?" and i think this is a top 2 regional team on talent so i don't want to hear us treated like an expansion team that needs a value coach. this needs proven coaches with banked results at a relevant level who can do it again with our talent. not lack of talent. talent.

we make 9 figures in revenue a year. this is not a "small market" team that needs columbus' coach because we can't afford more.

among other things, if we are hiring a former player, i want a coach as talented or more than the kids he is coaching. what in sam hell is arnaud going to teach our class of strikers? in contrast, dolo had a better career by far than the wingback corps we have. to a man. and if we are hiring committed coaches i want a resume with some actual achievements on it.

8. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you wouldn't hire Jesse Marsch at RB Salzburg because there might be players there that are more talented than he was? What about Juergen Klopp? Is he more talented than the players he's been coaching? How about Diego Maradona? Did you like how he coached and thought he was better than others because he was one of the best players of all time?

FLSoccerGran repped this.
  9. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Bump. After last night's debacle, we need the new assistant to start PRONTO, since Wolff is leaving for Austin in January. Still many good options out there, including Kinnear, Mastroeni, Casey, Cherundolo, Razov, Noonan, and Zavagnin.

10. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    when the coach needs to go this is premature or misguided, and even might entrench the coach when he doesn't deserve it.

i made a comment about qatar along these lines, that it implicitly assumed his continued leadership which shouldn't be assured. if you send the coach and a b team to get a feel you are really primarily sending the coach and his team to acclimate, which assumes a conclusion on his continued employment. where if we send the A team one could say the key players are also being acclimated, and thus there is value beyond the staff that would exist even if the coach swapped out before we arrived.

letting him hire an assistant right now is along those lines.

11. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    Well, Gregg is pretty fricken awesome and since us plebs cannot wrap our head around his tactical aptitude maybe he can download half his intellect into a robot and hire Robo-GGG as the assistant coach

Since Robo-GGG will have half the intellect of God-GGG our players and us MIGHT, just maybe, be able to understand the dumbed down version of his genius.

Poor greggg, explaining his masterclass is like explains 11 dimensions to ants

sXeWesley and Girt repped this.
  12. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Is Wolff going to be at January camp, or will new assistant be named by then? I think the new assistant should get started sooner than later.

13. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Wolff is way too busy with Austin's upcoming season.

14. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    the absurdity of it all. half-a$$ candidates who either can't take the job for a year or quit within months of accepting it. and then what did we do, wait for him to finish up his quitting before pursuing a replacement? with that much lead time and the certainty of an expansion job, it should have been appointed before he left.

an assistant job should really be a coaching decision. "who do you want now, gregg?" even if we asked for resumes it should be a short process. "ok, which one of them do i hire?"

15. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
  17. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    So is Kreis still Berhalter's main assistant coach, or is he looking to hire someone new? If he is, a bunch of names still available, including:

Mastroeni (Dynamo), Kinnear (Galaxy), Razov (LAFC), Preki (Seattle), McBride, Conor Casey, Steve Ralston, Chris Armas, and Cherundolo.

David Wagner newly available too after Schalke let him go.

And of course Landon Donovan would always be welcome back to the fold, partially to gain "revenge" for his 2014 exclusion.

18. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    dude your list feels like half a decade to a decade stale but so does berhalter as a choice anyway

again, do you care if any of these people won as coaches?

19. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    going by availability as the primary criteria is a bad idea because almost by definition it's people who just got fired for a job gone bad

eg Wagner

i'd rather be poaching (with permission) someone in demand and under contract

20. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously, the asst. coach doesn't mean much unless he's a great dude that helps cohesion. They guys are coached by some of Europe's best coaches and Gregg isn't going to light up their soccer world with his coaching. Let's wait for Marsch to take the program, then get excited about coaching. Until then it's up to the young talent to take the USMNT anywhere.

dams repped this.
  21. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    McBride is the GM and Gregg's boss.

Chrerundolo would have been a good choice, but I think he wants to live in Germany.

Can Donovan coach? Haven't see it yet. Preki might be the best on that list but I don't know if he has kept up with modern tactics.

22. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Donovan is the coach and president of SD Loyals

keller4president repped this.
  23. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Seems like it's hard to predict the quality of assistant coaches. It's not like teams tend to hire their second best head coaching choice to serve as their first choice's assistant. It's often guys with no noteworthy head coaching track record, or guys who had some success a while back but who haven't merited a high level opportunity in recent years.

I can't remember what the talk was here when Bob Bradley brought in Jesse Marsch as an assistant at the end of his playing career in 2009, but I'm guessing no one had very strong opinions on his qualifications or competence as a manager. And while some might have predicted Martin Vasquez would be our assistant manager a couple years later based on his experience with Klinsmann at Bayern, I wonder how many people predicted that Klinsmann would bring Vasquez to Munich in the first place.

Which is all to say: the OP list seems reasonable to me, but it might just as likely turn out to be someone no one has really considered at all.

24. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I'm aware. But it is his first season coaching and it isn't a high level. Plus, he hired himself ;)

But bring him, sure. It is not that important a position. Armas might be a good choice since he is more of a buddy guy and not a tactician (which Gregg is).