Suggestions for Guests?

Discussion in 'World Football Daily' started by WoodyinCU, May 8, 2009.

1. WoodyinCU

WoodyinCU Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Duluth, MN
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While the regular correspondents on WSD are the backbone of the show, the guests keep the show fresh and add variety. WSD's assistant producer, Rafael Gonzales, has been ramping up the guest selection, and here's a chance to get involved...

Who would you suggest Rafa should try to get as a guest and why?

I'll collate the answers occasionally and send it to him so he can say "Dude, like I don't have enough to do?!?" :D

2. Blue Note

Blue Note New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Pawling, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would like to hear either Steve Goff or Ives Galarcep interviewed - two of the the better MLS beat reporters/bloggers.

3. ThespecialoneJM

ThespecialoneJM New Member

May 13, 2008
    San Jose
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    How about a Portuguese football correspondent? There's 2 british guys do a podcast for this website http://www.footballportugalpodcast.com/ and are very knowledgeable on Portuguese football. I would love to hear them on the show.

4. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS coaches or assistant coaches on regular basis. At least once a week. 10-15 minutes would be fine with e-mailed questions before hand.

The listeners of the show are so interested in the game at that level, and hearing their take and plans would be good for the supporter base for MLS and would help the show connect to the league as well.

5. njndirish

njndirish Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Notre Dame, IN
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First point, supposedly, the Confederations Cup is desperate for media attendance, and are practically giving away trips to SA for members of the press. Of course this is something that's been going around the internet, but it would be epic to see these two broadcasting live from South Africa right before the Confederations Cup matches.

On to guests: I would suggest the managers of the respective teams touring America this summer. Also a few USL managers in the mix with as many MLS managers as possible.

Also if they could maybe convince their sponsors to take them to NYC area for the Gold Cup final, that would be nice.

6. brittkamp

brittkamp Member

Nov 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Two G's- Just kidding!

Lionel Benvenue- talk about the impact of his former show.

Dennis Bergkamp- what he thinks of Arsenal

Concentrate on MLS you effing idiots :) by getting Steven Goff, Ives Galecep, Brian Dunseth, Kartik Krishnayer and some more biting MLS guys like Dave Denholm

7. Yellow Cash

Yellow Cash New Member

Aug 20, 2006
    Boston
    Both of these guys seem to be considered the authority on MLS. I'd love to hear Goff on the show! Ives is great but does pull for NY:(

Two great idea for the show during the summer when MLS is one of the only things going.

8. KyleP

KyleP Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Some MLS players who've played in Europe, England specifically, such as Angel, McBride, Convey, Huckerby etc..
    Would be interesting to hear their take on the difference between those leagues and MLS and how they think the standard is coming along.

9. GregX

GregX New Member

Apr 23, 2009
    MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about someone from Wolves or one of the other promoted teams to have them talk about what they do the summer before entering the EPL?

And get Chappers back on. Since iTunes dumped his podcast (or he dumped iTunes) I kind of miss him.

10. Blue Note

Blue Note New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Pawling, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And what is wrong with that?

11. Yellow Cash

Yellow Cash New Member

Aug 20, 2006
    Boston
    I was going to talk trash, but I feel like your club has hurt you enough this season. Just wouldn't be fair to pile it on. (Yes, I'm ignoring Friday's 4-1 victory)

One redeeming quality your club has...it's owners! I'm very excited about their cash, commitment to sport, and more importantly...willingness to take risks. The new stadium never would have happened the way it is without them! It's going to be beautiful.

In keeping with the thread title: it would be nice to hear a stadium update from someone inside the club. Maybe something similar to the interview done with the gentleman running the 2010 South Africa World Cup.

12. TheRealSpecialOne

TheRealSpecialOne New Member

May 10, 2009
    USA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Scottish Pizza Guy would be a great guest.

HOWARD!!!! The Prince of Darkness is needed now more than ever.

David Beckham. Yes, that's a joke.

Bob Bradley, Michael Bradley, and Brian McBride would all be class.

13. 612steve

612steve New Member

May 4, 2009
    South Philly
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was one of the ones that was sad to see Howard go. I'd love it if they could squeeze a regular Howard segment in once or twice a week for a few minutes.

I think that interviews with US born players plying their trade overseas always make for interesting interviews. Guzan, DeMerit, Gooch... any and all of those would be fantastic.

14. Richard Saunders

Apr 8, 2008
    Marlton, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be great to talk with Bob Bradley (or at least someone from the USMNT) especially before the Confed. Cup. I would love if Landon Donovan would go on the show to address some of Steve's past criticism of him.

Also, would be great to talk with Tim Howard or Dempsey and discuss their experiences in the EPL this year.

Finally.....Sir Alex (may not be realistic but one can only hope).

15. ChcgoStingInMyBlood

Jun 15, 2005
    Brad Feldman, radio announcer for the NE Revolution. Excellent knowledge of the US game and not afraid to throw some bricks.

Also, Paul Gardner of Soccer America, an occasional guest on Feldman's Revs podcast. Very opinionated, I don't always agree with him but I think he has fantastic observations on the US development system (or lack thereof) especially regarding college soccer.

16. Nick Katz

Nick Katz New Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    They should talk to people from the MLS Supporters groups about their relationship with their front offices. The heads of Barra Barra, Empire Supporters, the Midnight Riders, etc. could provide you a diehard fans' view of the league.

17. WoodyinCU

WoodyinCU Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Duluth, MN
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All great guest ideas, keep em coming. I passed the first round off to WSD last Friday, and they've got Steven Goff coming on this Thursday. Nice turnaround there :D

18. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They need to get someone from Mexican Soccer to give their perspective of the region, the game in Mexico and their WC journey and their view of the game in the US for the benefit of the US audience.

19. Yellow Cash

Yellow Cash New Member

Aug 20, 2006
    Boston
    GOFF IS ON THIS THURSDAY! Very nice...I'm looking forward to it. Well done boys.

20. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I think he should try again to get Mourinho in, and if there are any big summer friendlies over the summer in LA (maybe if Milan goes or Munich, etc.), they should try as hard as they can to get the manager or some players from those clubs. Milan would be particularly interesting - the ywill be stateside over the summer so a phone call with Ancelotti, though maybe pretty difficult, would be pretty interesting. Ask questions about Pato, Kaka's moving and of course, Beckham. :D

US wise, it might be great to get not just current players but maybe someone else too. Talk to John Harkes or someone. It would be interesting to hear a little bit about Clint Mathis. I honestly do wish though that they'd get someone from South of the Border. I've always been a bit of a Jared Borgetti fan, and they could ask him some pretty good questions & I bet he'd have really good stories and a great perspective on the US vs. Mexico rivalry, but from a much different point of view. I vaguelly remember some story about him finding a restaurante while he was playing at Bolton.

Edit... given the recent rumblings from Berlusconi, Ancelotti might have a little spare time soon enough.

21. Tony M

Tony M Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Ohio
    Club:
    --other--
    Well, they have to get Tony Pulis on again. The interview with him a while back made me an enthusiastic Stoke fan.

And I wish they could get someone who could discuss African football at the club level. Or maybe just pick one country...maybe Ghana or Cameroon. Or, since the WC will be in South Africa, get someone who can discuss club football in that country.

There is far too little attention paid to African football in Africa. It's only barely mentioned by Four Four Two and World Soccer. The information is out there; Ghana's Hearts of Oak actually have a newspaper.

22. djpower

djpower Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 9, 2005
    Victoria, Australia
    Maybe Woody might know, will ESPN allow Derek Rae to be interviewed by WSD after the Champions league goes to Fox in the US. I have a feeling the interview is only allowed as its a form of advertisement to watch ESPN coverage. I would love to hear more of him but I think ESPN is restricting his appearances

23. WoodyinCU

WoodyinCU Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Duluth, MN
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't heard of any issues with Derek, he has more autonomy on things like that than, say, Georgie. I'll be he can still come on, as WSD isn't tied to Fox, just Steven for his tv show.

I know Steven is trying to arrange a time for Tony Pulis again, as they had the deal that he'd come on when Stoke was guaranteed safety.

24. djpower

djpower Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 9, 2005
    Victoria, Australia
    Also if they wanted to get a Australian/Asian correspondent I might suggest they try and get a hold of Jason Dasey. bio and contact information is at his website http://www.jasondasey.com. I have sent him a few email over the years and he has always made personal replies. He also writes for Soccernet website and is also sometimes features on there podcast as a Asian Correspondent. One issue with getting any asian correspondent is the time difference which would nearly force any interviews done to be pre-recorded which I do not remember WSD doing any pre-recorded interviews before. Roopy is always good to hear from but sometimes I find his information not to be always 100% accurate

25. djpower

djpower Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 9, 2005
    Victoria, Australia
    Come to think about it Jason Dasey would of been working along side Georgie Bingham last year at ESPN. I am surprised Georgie has not come on since she started working for ESPN, I don't see much of her on ESPN as she mainly does the other international SC edition. I mainly see her doing the Soccernet and Cricinfo SC update that ESPN run during there commercial breaks.