Suggested Reading List

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by SparkeyG, Jul 26, 2002.

1. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA
    Also... he (more or less: see below) goes through a synopsis of world events leading up to each World Cup. I found myself getting annoyed at the political bent of these. (i.e. "I get it, you are against U.S. Imperialism... You love that Castro is still in power.... You have made your point.") He can write whatever he wants, but I think the book loses some of it's poetry because of it.

2. Greenway

Greenway New Member

May 19, 2001
    Seattle
    I will weigh in on the side of some of my favorite soccer books.

I took A Season With Verona with me to Italy this spring and enjoyed it immensly. (the book and Italy) Parks is not just writing about soccer but about the Italian character and approach to life. A laugh out loud kind of book.

Soccer in sun and Shadow is always next to my bedside as it is a great pick up and open anywhere kind of read. I like that he cruises through history with his stories and think his writing is poetic and fine. I give this book away as a gift all the time. I find it in used bookstores. It is in paperback but I like the hardcover for gifts.

Fever pitch, Miracle in Sante, and Barca are all on my shelf and are all good reads.

A more tactical book that I enjoy is Soccer Skills and Tactics, by Jones and Welton. Published in the 1970's this book is great because of the diagrams of famous plays of the time that illustrate different skills or tactics. It is a history lesson inside of a soccer education. Hard to find but remarkable.

I am looking forward to the new book out on Brazil and for any that come out on the USA run in the World Cup.

3. Throwins

Throwins Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Around the Puget Sound
    Tor!

If you have ever heard the commercial for Becks beer in which they state Germans don't do humor but they do brew beer the same applies to this book.

The info is interesting but the writing is awfull.

4. Fulham9

Fulham9 Member

Mar 14, 2002
    Houston, Texas, USA
    Here's the definitive list (in no particular order):

1. "Football against the Enemy" - Simon Kuper
    2. "Fever Pitch" - Nick Hornby
    3. "The Glory Game" - Hunter Davies
    4. "The Miracle of Castel di Sangro" - Joe McGinniss
    5. "The Far Corner" - Harry Pearson
    6. "All Played Out" - Pete Davies (story of Italia 90, from an English perspective)
    7. "Passion of the People?" - Tony Mason (best book in English on South American soccer)

Those six are all outstanding, and hard to put down.

Also outstanding, but out of print and a little dated is "22 Foreigners in Funny Shorts" by Pete Davies. It is really two books in one, a part history of the game, part story of Wrexham's 1992-1993 season. It was intended as a guide to the 1994 World Cup for Americans, but is very well written and highly entertaining in its own right. Look for it in used bookstores.

For the history of the game, the best is a book by a guy named Murray. I can't think of the guy's first name, or the book's title, but it is the best history I have read of soccer, and you can find in American bookstores.

"The Faber Book of Soccer" is a great anthology of soccer writing, covering the last 130 years. It contains some great stuff you can't find anywhere else.

Seriously out of print, but worth looking for in used bookstores and your local college library, is a book called "The Soccer Syndrome" by a guy named Moynihan. It was published in the 1960's, and I don't know if it has been reprinted, but is a very entertaining collection of essays about soccer in London during the '60's.

If you live near a major university, check out their research library and go to the sports stacks. Most major university libraries will have a decent collection of soccer books, both scholarly and mass-market. You can find some hidden gems there.

5. paulocesar

paulocesar Member

Oct 4, 2000
    How about "War and Peace"???

The history of BS boards...

Actually, it should just be "War"!!?!?!??

6. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Dont forget that one-sided flyer on Fulham's 20th Century achievements ;) (jk)
    Perhaps Bill Murray (the other one) who wrote the Old Firm history books?

7. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    "All Played Out" is a fabulous book.

8. Dandal

Dandal Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweden
    Club:
    --other--
    Really impressed by this thread. Lots of books I've read and enjoyed, but surprisingly many I've not even heard about. Looks like it'll be a lot of money spent at amazondotcom.

For those of you who like "All played out" there is however I book I've not seen mentioned: Mario Risoli's "When Pelé broke out hearts", a wonderfull little book about Wales' first and only appearence in the World Cup finals.

9. jotadia

jotadia New Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Miami
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any good books on soccer tactics, playing styles
    ie German vs italian vs English vs Brazilian

10. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I've ordered from Amazon.co.uk a bunch of times. The shipping is kinda harsh, but they have a great selection of soccer books (as you'd expect) and they get em sent over very quickly.

11. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

Feb 11, 2002
    Yeah, it's an uncreative name, I believe it's called "The World Game." An excellent book that focuses on the history of football and certain clubs.

12. Fulham9

Fulham9 Member

Mar 14, 2002
    Houston, Texas, USA
    I'm publishing a post-it note entitled: "QPR: The Glory Years" :)

13. Fulham9

Fulham9 Member

Mar 14, 2002
    Houston, Texas, USA
    Yep, that's it. "The World Game" by some dude named Murray. Its a very good read, and I've seen it in US bookstores.

14. Soccerfan20

Soccerfan20 New Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    What? No mention of Harke's book, "captain for life and other assignments?"

Galeano's book is incredible and very political. It and he were banned/exhiled in his country and I think he has only recently been allowed back. McGuiness is not allowed back Castel Di Sangro. . .if you read the book, you'd know why his commentary has left an influential man angry.

Thank you for posting this thread. I now have a list of books I need to read in the near future.

15. dcuinvermont

dcuinvermont Member

Sep 8, 2000
    Burlington VT
    Re: Miracle of Castel di Sangro

Absolutely Wonderful! Has made being a DC fan this year a bit more bearable.

16. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're referring to Les Murray, right?

He seems to have co-opted that phrase every time he's doing any kind of soccer coverage on the Australian network SBS. Would therefore seem somewhat fitting that he would title the book that...

I have a copy of the book myself, and it sits atop my bookshelf as a good reference material.

I think you can get it online from the SBS site-- which for those overseas from here, might be your best chance of getting a copy of one.

Go to www.theworldgame.com.au (which is SBS's official soccer site), and follow through to the "Shopping" link.

Also, count me amongst the ones remissed to mention John Harkes' autobiography. A must-read on one of the pivotal figures of the American game, certainly, and he gives his side of the whole Steve Sampson row in an eloquent re-telling.

Cheers,
    William

17. BrianCappellieri

Feb 11, 2002
    No, his name is Bill Murray. Like the actor. :)

18. BrianCappellieri

Feb 11, 2002
    Is anyone else getting a screen that says they've just become a premium member? :confused: :)

19. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No... I wish, though. ;)

Point, and sarchasm, well taken and much appreciated before, Brian. However, I would still highly recommend Les Murray's encyclopaedic work-- even if you have to prder it from the Australian SBS site and wait more than 2-4 weeks for overseas delivery, it's worth the wait.

Cheers,
    William

20. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Check the BigSoccer store as well.

Sachin

21. GWither

GWither New Member

Don't forget "Left Foot Forward" and "Left Foot in the Grave," compelling accounts of life in lower division English soccer by Gary Nelson.

22. BTrusdell

BTrusdell New Member

Feb 19, 2001
    Two books I've been told are worth checking out if you are into the bizness and politics of the game are ``FIFA and the Contest for World Football'' (1998), and ``Great Balls of Fire, How Big Money is Hijacking World Football'' (1999). Both are co-authored by a pair of University of Brighton professors, John Sugden and Alan Tomlinson (so don't expect a Miracle of Castel di Sangro type reading, probably more along the lines of Offside: American Exceptionalism). The former I'm told is a kinda ``this is how world football operates'' while the latter is a blast at Havelange, Blatter and the cast of thousands (more Havelange than anybody). I've been told the latter is comparable to Dishonored Games, the book that came out in '92 that absolutely trashed Samaranch and the Olympics. Of course that was co-authored by a sports writer named Andrew Jennings (Daily Mail), who has been accused of being a muck raker and was ripping into Blatter during the FIFA conflagration earlier this year. There have been other books that have ripped the IOC but Great Balls of Fire is the first I've heard of that goes after FIFA. And because it's written by a couple of university professors with a reputation to protect, you'd hope it be a little more factual and little less sensational. So far, I think you can only get them by going to amazon.co.uk. I haven't been able to find them on the domestic version. I can't vouch or knock either one of them since I haven't read them.

23. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    I just got a book from Amazon.uk called Stamping Grounds which covers the WC qualifying campaign of Liechtenstein. Looks like a good read.

24. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Murray (Bill) actually has two books with very similar titles. The one US readers want is called The World's Game: A History of Soccer and is published by University of Illinois Press. Murray also wrote Football: A History of the World Game, which is the book William refers to in his post.

The classic book that has yet to be mentioned is Janet Lever's Soccer Madness, tracking Brazilian football from a professional sociologist's viewpoint.

25. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please let us know if this is as good as it sounds.

On its face it would appear hilarious.