Review: Suggested MLS Playoff Format II

Discussion in 'Inter Miami CF' started by Lucho305, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

Inter Miami CF, Junior de Barranquilla
    United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just wanted to Know what My Inter Miami fans thought of this Playoff Format...

Well, I've come up with another format very similar to the previous one I posted about a week ago (here is the link for that format here: https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/suggested-mls-playoff-format.2111446/ ) but this one will involve two groups for each conference in the first playoff stage, with 4 teams each. Rather than the other format with 3 groups of 3 teams for each conference. all be it this is for the future 30 teams in MLS.

The format goes like this, teams finishing up in the top 9 places in each conference will advance to Playoffs. Seeding will remain throughout playoffs, and seeding will determine home matches and tie breakers if all other stats are knotted up. There will be no reseeding!!

[​IMG]
    Now, the first seed in each conference gets Playoff Group stage bye. Teams seeded 2-9 will be divided into two East groups and two West Groups, with seeds #2 and #3 at the head of playoff Groups A and Group B respectively. As head of the groups, these teams will get all 3 group stage matches at home since they are the highest seeds. The following highest seeds #4 and #5 will follow seeds #2 and #3 respectively, these seeds will have 2 Home games and 1 away game, against higher seed, through the group stage. Seeds #6 and #7 follow along, having one game at home and 2 away games against the higher seeds. So Far two groups, Group A with seeds #2,4,6 and Group B with seeds #3,5,7. Now for the final two spots, they will be randomized, since these teams will have all away games, no home games, for making it to the playoffs as the two lowest seeds. Playoff Group Stage will look like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So for the group stage, we stated that top seeds get all home games, last seeds get all away games, and in between get a mixture of home and away games. so for the group stage in order to qualify to the next round (MLS Cup playoffs), you need to win the group to go to next round, and the last qualifying spot will go to the best overall runner up, which will most likely play the number 1 seeds, who got the bye for winning the conference. So the next part I will show is just simulation of how a group stage will end with scores, and Final Season Standings (seeding) will work into play...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So the three-teams that qualified in each conference will now go ahead and join the number #1 seeds in the playoff stage, where it will be one-off playoff match at the higher seeds home... However final will be 2 games Home and Away series, that way if your team has made it to the final you will get a championship match at home in front of fans. I just simulated the playoffs

[​IMG]

Let me know what you guys think on this or the other format I also posted here, Just feel like this format gives the season some density, if you do good during the season or the better you do in your regular season campaign you will get more home matches during the playoffs, which results in better chances to get to the final, the playoffs with this format are a bit longer-lasting, rather than a one-game win or go home playoff, after a long hard-fought season, one simple mistake can cost the season. Winning the conference lets you take that bye week into the playoff stage. Total games that this whole process would entail is from 3 to 7 games. So the minimum games each team get would be 3 games, and teams getting to the final get a total of 7 games. Please let me know your opinions, comments, suggestions, below. Thanks