Suggest where I should go.

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by Transparent_Human, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Transparent_Human

Oct 15, 2006
    Pale blue dot
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mauritius
    22 Years old, located in northeast U.S. Not much money. Never been anywhere, want to go somewhere interesting for a week+ by myself.

Not a big party animal, but I enjoy sports (soccer obviously) museums/historical sites/cultural stuff/sites.

Oh ya and food. Can't forget the food part. :D Beer isn't bad either.

2. cbg015

cbg015 Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Oakland, CA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have suggested somewhere in Europe but you said that you don't have a lot of money. Using your criteria, I would recommend Mexico City. It's cheap, has plenty of historical/cultural sites and the most museums in the world (many are very good). There are also three soccer teams in town (Cruz Azul, Club America, and Pumas). Also, Mexico City is a great food city. I wouldn't know about the beer there; I'm not a drinker.

It has a bad rep as far as crime goes, but use your common sense and you should be fine. I was reluctant to go in 2008, but Mexico City didn't feel that dangerous to me. Since you're going by yourself, perhaps you should look into staying in a hostel. You can make friends easily there and pal around with them.

3. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you want to stay in the US or go elsewhere?

4. Transparent_Human

Oct 15, 2006
    Pale blue dot
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mauritius
    I could do either.

Heck, someone suggested NYC, I've never even been there.

5. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New York is awesome, but can be expensive

6. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For some reason New York doesn't appeal to me. I'd like to go to Boston though.

7. pablo85

pablo85 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Looks Like you could use a little bit of Holland, Belgium or Germany.

Holland, museums, canals, whores, heineken and weed + bad soccer
    Belgium beer, chocolate and dumb people
    Germany just over the border with Holland, Borussia Dortmund, good atmosphere, always full 80.000 seats stadium + good beer and bratwurst

8. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When do you think you will schedule this journey? Will you be taking a plane, or is other transportation possible? What is the highest priority in terms of places to see and things to do?

For example, if you want museums, NYC or DC are good bets. LA has a number of good museums, too.

But travel to LA is going to me more expensive than NYC or DC if you live in the NE.

My nephew and a couple of his buddies stayed in a youth hostel in Santa Monica when they came here after a round-the-world jaunt last spring. So I think lodging isn't a huge expense if you are willing to go on the cheap.

Getting around in NYC isn't that difficult, assuming you don't mind walking and will take the subway. LA can be difficult because of distances.

I think if you give us a broader perspective, we can be more helpful.

9. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Well since you want to get away for at least a week I wouldn't recommend NYC. Even a simple hotel will cost twice as much as airfare to Europe.

Spain is cheap. Great food, of course. Football. Weather, culture. And alcoholic drinks are very cheap.

Plus it doesn't really feel like you're "getting away" unless you leave the country, I find.

11. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    here's a link to youth hostels in NYC. i think you'll find them affordable. whether you would choose to stay is another thing, but you can decide that...

12. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC has free museums, which is a plus. If you're a young person traveling alone, staying in a youth hostel where there are opportunities to meet others like you is a go idea.

13. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the only real concern by bus in LA is that it takes three times as long to get there as it would by car. if you don't mind that, it's cool.

i had to take the bus from Long Beach to Bellflower in the mid 70s because my car was broken for a month. (don't lend your car to someone who smokes pot every day?) it wasn't cheaper than driving ( '74 Honda Civic ) but it was easy. half a block to the bus stop and one long block from the bus stop in Bellflower to my office.

15. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Smoke pot and you won't car about the time.

16. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i didn't have a car. :)

17. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Nova Scotia by boat or backpack the East Coast Trail up Newfoundland.

18. Transparent_Human

Oct 15, 2006
    Pale blue dot
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mauritius
    I initially was thinking about late spring, but I am going back to school in the fall, so really anytime spring/summer would work.

I'd like to go the L.A someday, but I figure I should wait till I can rent a car to go there............

Been to D.C years ago when my sister was in grad school. Bout the only place I've been

To the person who suggested Spain-I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to go to Spain, but looking at airfares........conversion of money and all that, it just seems a little out of reach at the moment. (Europe in general) Plus if my first trip to Europe didn't involve Ireland my grandparents will rise from the grave and smack me upside the head :D

Thanks for all the suggestions people, I guess I've sort of narrowed it down a little.......

Montreal/Quebec
    New York City (maybe even a long weekend..........)
    Puetro Rico
    New Orleans (doesn't seem do-able without a car though)
    Mexico City (very long shot)
    Spain (very long shot)
    Ireland (long shot)

Places I simply can't do, but would love to someday........
    Japan
    Korea
    New Zealand
    Israel
    Cuba :D :D

I'd basically take a bus/train to anywhere in a reasonable radius (eastern Canada, NYC, D.C) I'd obviously fly overseas, and don't mind walking/cheap accommodations (can't be worse then dorms, which I am more then used to)

19. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey. I'm a southern gal. That's how it's spelled (phonetically, at least).

20. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Montreal is pretty expensive. If you can afford it one of the first posters suggested Holland/Belgium/Germany. Holland and Belgium are small enough you can enjoy both in a short period and Germany is right over the border of each. you can even check out Luxembourg. Plent of sights to see, museums, cathedrals, castles etc. Awesome beer and pretty good soccer in each country. right now you can get a flight for around 600 dollars round trip boston to brussels. Leave on a monday and come back on a thursday. thats pretty cheap

21. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i've been to Ireland twice -- once to play golf and once with my brother. you need to rent a car in Ireland unless you just want to go to Dublin and Galway City. there's a train from Dublin to Galway City but after that, you're in west Ireland and anywhere you would want to go is either car or bus, and it's hard to recommend bus.

Ireland is the people. amazing folk, the Irish. when i booked my hotel in Dublin, by phone, the clerk asked me my name. the family name isn't strictly Irish, but he said "Welcome home!" that's the Irish.

if it were me, i would strongly consider a long weekend in NYC. museum heaven. food heaven. and you can get mugged if you care to.

The Metropolitan Museum is closed Mondays except April 25th and Memorial Day Monday. $20 to get in. $10 for students. you can purchase a City Pass on line for $80 that will get you into MOMA, the Met, the Guggenheim, the Museum of Natural History and the Empire State Building. I don't know student rates for the other museums, individually.

22. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Bronx Zoo is free on Tuesday, I think. It's buildings were built in a time when people made artistic, elaborate buildings for zoos. If the weather's nice, it's a nice break from the city.

Also, Central Park is free, apart from the attractions, and highly recommended.

And while I like getting up there, the time and cost to go the Empire State Building should put it on the "only if I have spare time and money" list of things to do.

23. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It hasn't been mentioned, but Philly is a great place, too. My family likes to go there - we get the old city feel, but at an easier pace than New York and without the parking hassles of Boston. You've got ethnic food, history, parks and museums.

24. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if you go to Philly, you absolutely have to hit Pat's and Geno's if only for the tourist value, the original "Philly Cheesesteak" place, and its major competitor, right across the street.

i vote for Pat's.

25. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes - I forgot to mention that Philly also has cheese steaks. I also love the enchanted garden, hippie mosaics all over the place around South Street. There's an old, old street off the main drag that's not big enough for cars where there's a huge wall of mosiacs. That's a nice juxtaposition of hippie and colonial America.
    [​IMG]