Suddenly American stars are transferring to Euro clubs

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by dspence2311, Sep 9, 2020.

1. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I think that highly depends on how many teams start spending money, and how much. Remember that the minimum salary in NWSL is higher than the median salary in most leagues. If the clubs that strongly invest in WoSo only number 10-20, I think they would rather scoop up established NT talent from around the world than poach off mid-tier NWSL players or NCAA players. Those players won't go overseas unless competition for players in Europe really intensifies. Also, remember that NWSL expansion will bring more money in that league as well - Utah damn near got two of Lyon's best this past offseason, and I would expect that kind of competition to intensify as NWSL teams and league have more money to throw around as well.

Hexa repped this.
  2. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    " Remember that the minimum salary in NWSL is higher than the median salary in most leagues." This is the thing. how does building the best W soccer league translate to new TV deals and sponsors? Will it translate to serious money? We will have to wait and see the financial impact. Maybe it is just one year that wouldn't be able to have a major impact.

3. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

I believe Macario has to reside in the USA except for very short periods to receive citizenship and be eligible for the USWNT, so for her, going to Europe seems out until 2023 when she gains her US passport. At least that’s how it worked with non soccer players I know. One had to delay accepting a job offer in her native Ireland until she got her USA passport. Considering the current State Depertment attitude towards immigration from Latin America, it may be even more difficult.

however many USA players the rich clubs in Europe can poach, it doesn’t do much for the EU NT scene until really competitive leagues develop, as the OL situation shows. It could actually do more for US soccer by freeing up more starting slots based on merit in the NWSL and letting players develop here. It’s pretty hard to sit a NT player. And US players all have to compete harder in Europe to keep starting slots. It isn’t automatic.

jnielsen and Hexa repped this.
  4. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ATG billboard in Londons Leicester Square
    ATG2.jpg

jnielsen and zdravstvuyte repped this.