Sudamericano Sub-20 (Uruguay 2015) [r]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by locoxriver, Dec 11, 2014.

1. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    In this tournament he has 6 goals in 4 games and with River he has 4 goals in 27 games.

He is a young far too young to tell how good he is, but i doubt he'll ever be a top class striker. I'm proud of the kid because he plays for my club, but he's thriving against some really poor teams. He'll probably go on loan to Arsenal where he can get playing time and then we'll really see what he can do, but up until now he's not convincing.

Rattlehead repped this.
  2. Centauro del Norte

FC Juárez
    Sep 15, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Villarreal CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    He is 19 and he is indeed a goal poacher. Rarely misses inside the box. That's his virtue. His style is very similar to Crespo's or Juan Pablo Angel.

3. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Its as RG has stated, too early to really tell. We are lucky to be in a very easy group, now, when the real tournament kicksoff, we have Colombia, Brasil and the host Uruguay waiting for us. I mean, looking at some of the defensive errors that I have seen in this tournament, you need to cue in the Benny Hill music.

4. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yea I dont think his stats is that great at club so far, but neither those Argentine superstars that plays in Europe in their first 1-2 seasons of their career. Tevez only scored twice in 15 games in his first season with Boca. Kun scored only 5 goals in his first 20 games but in his 4th season he suddenly scored 18 in 36 matches.

So I agree with RG and SM, its still too early to rate him. The group opponent might be easy but at least he made it justified by becoming the current top scorer.

5. jimmi_moh

jimmi_moh Member+

Mar 30, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    getting in to U-20 will be easy i think , we just have to finish with in top 4.

But For getting in to Olympics we must have to finish in top 2.

6. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #31 RiverGaucho, Jan 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
    Its not just a question of stats though, Simeone is very limited with his technical skills he misctonrols probably one in 3 balls that come to him. And @doreoarango if you say he rarely misses inside the box, you haven't watched many River matches, he misses goals from underneath the cross bar on a regular basis.

Like i said it is too early to tell how good he'll be, but I don't see him being a top player and 95% of river fans will say the same.

If you talk to most people inside the club, they will tell you that Gianluca Simeone is much better than Gio and there is also the youngest one, Giuliano, is the best of them all. I don't want to complete smash Gio, its just that I am not convinced. Hopefully he proves me wrong though. At least, hopefully he can score a few more in this tournament.

The truth is, i just am not overly confident in argentina reaching the olympics. With Humbertito on the bench in tight games where coaching, substitutions, and tactics decide games, i don't see it. We should though qualify for the Mundial, but hopefully we catch a few breaks and make the Rio games

7. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Simeone continue to scores , Correa with a stunner.

Centauro del Norte repped this.
  8. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Nice to Gio continue his streak, lets hope he can produce vs Colombia in a couple of days. Also, its great to see Correa play well and score a beauty. He will be an asset to Atletico Madrid if he continues to grow.

locoxriver repped this.
  9. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We got a late equalizer to stay currently at the top of the table along with Uruguay. We're doing much better so far than in 2013 at least.

Things will get tough from now on.

10. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Just curious, what if the bottom 3 standings end something like this,

URU
    Bra
    Arg

Since Bra gets an automatic birth, does that push us into the play-off for the Olympics? I am not very optimistic qualifying directly, which I believe will go to Uruguay.

11. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #36 Rattlehead, Feb 1, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
    It seems that we're doing much better than expected. 2-0 against Brazil. 5 wins, 1 lost, 1 draw so far.

RiverGaucho repped this.
  12. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don't think its necessarily much better than expected, the talent on this squad is unquestionable. The problem was always the coach. Sometimes a team wins in spite of their coach, and this is certainly the case.

I am however much more hopeful than i was before. One interesting thing will be if we do qualify for the Olympics, what sort of side will we take. Obviously this Sub 20 will have earned the right to be the base of the team, but it will be interesting what players that are Sub 23 but older than 20 would take part. I'd love to see Kranevitter in midfield distributing the ball in front of the defense and Lamela to add a bit more pause and thought into the attack.

Also what over age players would be taken... Mascherano has 2 olympic golds, would he be called back for a 3rd run?

Part of me thinks it would be great if the overage players want to take part, but I think the base needs to be this generation and the players just slightly older. We need to qualify first and the biggest test will be the hosts uruguay.

13. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #38 Rattlehead, Feb 1, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
    Well, I'm saying its much better compare to the people expectation prior to this tournament. Many pointed because Grondona is in charge and off course it is. With incompetent coach perhaps the only way to win it is by having the talent. In youth tournament, individual talent often wins you games and perhaps it shows here. In senior tournament, talent alone will only enough to get you to the knocktout stage.

However, with a strings of victories including against Brazil and getting a late equalizer against Colombia, the final result definetely better than expected.

As for Olympic, I dont think its necessary to bring Masche again. Messi's generation also has won everything at youth level so it needs to be younger players like Lamela, Vietto and Dybala. How old those players would be at 2016? exactly 23? Although I think the 3 overage players should be a midfielder and defender.

14. Centauro del Norte

FC Juárez
    Sep 15, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Villarreal CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Musacchio or Pezella perhaps would be good choices. That'll help them cement a spot for the senior national team.

15. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If we do qualify for the Olympics, then I think that is great. The 3 over 23 players, I am not sure who will go, or want to go. I'd hope it is the defense, and I do not mean a 31 year old CB, I mean a player that is 25, 26, that can be an asset. As for the attackers, Lamela will be over the 23 year old and not sure he is deserving of a call up to any team. I like the kid a lot and I am rooting for him, but I am amazed he has yet to adapt. This does not mean he is a bad player, not at all, but should he go to the Olympics as one of the over 23 players?

But lets beat Paraguay and put ourselves in a even better position. If we do beat them, and I believe if Uruguay beat Colombia that will basically mean, our last game, we just need a tie against each other. But one will get a direct spot, the other will have to go through a play-off.

16. Centauro del Norte

FC Juárez
    Sep 15, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Villarreal CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Giovanni Simeone empata a Galleti como segundo maximo goleador del Sudamericano Sub con 9 goles. Esta a 11 de Rodallega quien ostenta el record con 11.

17. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    As thing's stand I think U20 WC spot is in the bag, as for Olympic I think play-off at the worst.

22 goals , 6 conceided in 8 matches.

Pipiolo and Centauro del Norte repped this.
  18. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I believe we are all but assured a play-off for the Olympics. Even if we lose and fall to third in the standings, we will get a chance to go to the Olympics. Uruguay(Automatic birth) Brasil(Host) and we will get a play-off. But, I would like to win it, and go atop in style.

Centauro del Norte repped this.
  19. jimmi_moh

jimmi_moh Member+

Mar 30, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Are you sure about the same..? , i mean even if we fall in to third and we can get a chance for play off....?

20. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Only 2 team can leapfrog us, Uruguay and Brasil. There are up to 2 spots open for the olympics. Brasil will be no matter what, so that extra spot is open.

21. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The next game against Uruguay, we only need a draw to stay at the top. Even if Brazil beat Colombia they're still a point behind us.

22. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Wow, we actually have a chance of winning a tournament, we're bound to mess it up then. :)

23. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, Colombia just beat Brasil 3-0. If the game had stayed 1-0 or 2-0, I believe ourselves and Uruguay would've gone through(a tie, takes you to the play-off). But things got interesting, a 3-0 basically means, Uruguay needs to win if they want to go to the Olympics. That means they will push for the win. That's fine by me. I hope the kids do well and win the tournament. But regardless, I think they were going to go for the win anyways, they are at home.

BTW, why is this generation of Brasilian players so bad? Last gen they missed out on the Sub 20's(So did we) but if Peru or Paraguay weren't so bad, they probably would've missed it again. I thought Gabigol had something like a 50M buyout clause. Oh well.

24. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Hey guys thank you for your fans supporting us beat Brazil 3-0. Now please win this thing by not letting Uruguay win!

25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Vamos, Vamos Argentina!

Help out Colombia and get at least draw! :D